What was EA thinking when they released the 3DO?

Nice!
I gotta hook mine up again.

I actually liked crash-n-burn. I remember being amazed at the 3d renderings and embedded video, it was sooooo next gen!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Rebel Assault I remember playing that on a 486 DX back in the day wow what memories, great collection sir.

Totally forgot star control 2 was a 3DO game. I probably put the better part of a few months into that game.

Anyone play Demolition Man on 3DO? That one kind of falls into the bad but good category I think.

I have a 3do a panasonic and goldstar one.

They was making a CD rom format machine that played games like a VCR betamax laser disc formatand would be made by many hardware makers. it also had more power than the other consoles a full 2 years ahead of everybody else. this thing and the jaguar shiped during 16 bit console days, only the neo geo came close.

panasonic gold star etc made the format same with CDI that even sony got in on.

with the dell announcement for the xbox I would not be shocked if the xbone did the same thing since xbone games run in a virtual machine anyway.

cost and sucky games killed it. if the thing had nintendo or sega level games that was like nothing else on it it might have lived even at the high price people would have paid that is why the neo geo lived so long i had games worth it's cost to a small group of people willing to pay it.

Last edited:
Man, the late 80's early 90's was a great time for gaming. TG16, Neo Geo, Lynx, 3DO... good memories. This was when EGM was THE gaming magazine.

Back