What video card for WoW w/ original Athlon 1.2ghz

kalieaire

n00b
Hey guys,

My friend has an Athlon 1.2gigahertz cpu. To say the least, he's poor. And he wants to play WoW, and nothing else.

So I've decided that at the very least he can play the game happily at 1024x768 on his CRT monitor.

Which video card do you guys suggest that is the absolute minimum he needs for this game to run smoothly with the hardware given?

Thanks in advance.

---Forgot to add, hopefully under 100 bux is what he's hoping for.

Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

800 MHz or higher CPU
256 MB or more of RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
4 GB or more of available hard drive space
DirectX® 9.0c or above
A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

I doubt youd get one for under 100 bux that can play WOW

what are his other system specs?

Then I can make a desicsion

For now I'd say an Albatross 5700le

thats a canadian sight but american prices should be something around 100-120

again, show the full system specs

A used Radeon 9500 or 9600 series should be fine for the system he has. More important than the video card however, would be to insure that he has at least 512MB RAM to assist the processor.

How much ram does he have? From what I've seen MMORPG's are notoriously RAM heavy, and while it probly won't make things look much better it'll definitely make the game play better.

As for the video card, I'd say 9600 as well...maybe look for a used one?

Dear God..

..my initial estimates were incorrect.

I just had my friend run cpu id on it. apparently he's running a socket a duron 1.2ghz with a via and 192 megs of ram on a motherboard w/ a kt266/333 chipset.

Z(+)DIAC said:
Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

800 MHz or higher CPU
256 MB or more of RAM
32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
4 GB or more of available hard drive space
DirectX® 9.0c or above
A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

Mr Zodiac, can you play WoW at 1024x768 with that set of specs, and if you can, please tell me how.

kalieaire said:
Dear God..

..my initial estimates were incorrect.

I just had my friend run cpu id on it. apparently he's running a socket a duron 1.2ghz with a via and 192 megs of ram on a motherboard w/ a kt266/333 chipset.

It can be run on that, but he will have to turn down everything.. and it will lag moderately.

WoW is pretty good at scaling and is not too reliant on video card. Then main thing he will run into with that system is that when he gets near large gatherings of other players the more its going to lag.

My friend runs WoW on a..

1.0ghz Tbird with 384 megs of RAM and a Geforce 2 GTS Ultra

i have a few sdram dimms laying around from my older systems. would 512 or even a gig of ram be enough to help him out or does he just need raw processing power at this point?

ok cool, thanks for the help guys. I'll just scrounge up some ram and have him buy that 9600 card.

More RAM and a Ti4600. Or even better, if you can find a used 9500Pro 9700.

I would say an ATI 9600pro 256mb card would go perfect. But thats only cause I used it to play games with it on my 1.1 p3 and am currently selling the card - So I may be a bit bias!

I am playing the game on my AMD Barton 2500 with 1 GB of RAM and a GForce 2 MX400, a very old card and the games runs decently.

I would try to add some more RAM and pick up a cheaper card like the others suggested since a better card like the 6600 GT will cost over double and likely run into bottlenecks with your CPU.

Tell him to turn down settings in the Auction House (turning off player names, guild names works for me but he should likely do other stuff as well but he should research that) because my computer was freezing, but that was likely a bug on their end. Still, the auction House is one zone that people have problems with so he should tweak his setting when going there. I click on the auction vendor and then head to the wall and avoid facing other players - I'm not sure if it works but it used to do that in EQ so I try it.

I need a bit more information about the PC before I suggest an upgrade. Is it a brand name machine ie: HP, Dell, Sony etch etc? And I would like to know what video card it currently has, how much RAM and if it has AGP or not? The AGP question is important being that alot of store bought machines only have PCI cause the video is intergrated intot he motherboard... Let us know, and i can suggest something that will actually work out for you friend.

Back