What video card can run the new LG 8K monitor?

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Coming to the new iMac soon™. Probably 390x soon™. :D Didn't someone say that 4GB of VRAM was overkill?
http://lgdnewsroom.com/products-solutions/tv/5725

"It has become clear that Japan is planning to launch an 8K SHV test broadcast and then promptly restructure the UHD service. Apple has also announced that they will release the ‘iMac 8K’ with a super-high resolution display later this year. Korea is also preparing to offer an 8K service demonstration at the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. LG Display displayed a new beacon of the 8K era by revealing their 98-inch 8K Color Prime Ultra HDTV at CES 2015."

I'm fairly certain this won't be too far out of the reach of current video cards. I sincerely doubt anyone is going to be gaming on it, especially since its a mac. Pushing that many pixels in a desktop scenario is not that VRAM intensive. They also said they are putting this in the "iMac" not the Mac Pro, so little if any serious professional work will be done on this thing. Since its the iMac all-in-one, the GPU they will use will likely be a mobile variant due to cooling constraints just like they have in the past.

op the 8gb 290x in crossfire gets roughly in the 30 fps range it was tested by tweak town or tweakpedia if i remember correctly so it should be kince meat for 390x

*Snoooorrreeee*

Wake me up when we have affordable OLED monitors and TVs.

Good morning never.

All hail the mighty cheap-ass TN panel overlords! May our contrasts be low and our angles be steep!

But seriously, the cheaper solution will ALWAYS be the cheap™ solution.

*Snoooorrreeee*

Wake me up when we have affordable OLED monitors and TVs.

Dude I know right? I want to see a 4K OLED monitor that can do 240Hz. Companies should be pushing all kinds of tech to make that easily achievable, like on the level of what 1440/60 is now.

If anything, hopefully pushing 8K will bring down costs of everything 4K, and push tech to where running 4K is trivial.

But seriously, OLED needs to take over already. They need to have zero burn-in, insane color accuracy, and be super high speed.
The fact that everyone's still putting new tech/development into LCDs is crazy.

Seriously, think about a 4K/240 OLED monitor. I can't even imagine how insanely good that would look and feel. Hell, even 1440/120 OLED for that matter.
I'm sick of back lighting, and having to choose a good looking display that does 60Hz because the higher ones have bad specs or use crap LCD tech.
Meanwhile all these damn phones keep coming out with these insane displays...

The "popular demand" is messing with the progress we should be seeing...

I just can't see the benefits of 8k. Even 4k is pushing things, although there are some good corner cases. But again, it's good to see the industry moving forward, even if they have to use stupid features to make more sales :D

In any case, OLED is making fantastic progress now that LG has been able to work around the blue problem with WOLED TV sets. Can't wait to see where the market will be in 5 more years!

Last edited:
Going from blu-ray to 4K is a big difference? (I have not seen a 4K tv)
Is going from 4K to 8K a big difference?
What is the top "K" that our eyes can really see and notice any difference?

They need to pick a limited time standard(a few years) and stick with it. Otherwise there is no use in making any more portable media since the standard changes too fast?

Going from blu-ray to 4K is a big difference? (I have not seen a 4K tv)
Is going from 4K to 8K a big difference?
What is the top "K" that our eyes can really see and notice any difference?

They need to pick a limited time standard(a few years) and stick with it. Otherwise there is no use in making any more portable media since the standard changes too fast?

Depends on how close you sit and how big the tv is. On the 4k tvs you can see peoples faces at crowds during games almost perfectly, even though they are tiny. And on the 4k demo's at the stores you can see inside windows of buildings. It is awesome and definatly makes a difference. I dunno if 8k is going to get that much better though.

Depends on how close you sit and how big the tv is. On the 4k tvs you can see peoples faces at crowds during games almost perfectly, even though they are tiny. And on the 4k demo's at the stores you can see inside windows of buildings. It is awesome and definatly makes a difference. I dunno if 8k is going to get that much better though.

I look at 4k and the eventual mainstream push to 8k and I think "more desktop space" rather than "added detail"

I would rather keep 100-125 DPI definition and just make the screens bigger. That's why the new influx of 40" 4K monitors make a lot of sense to me. Would I buy an 8K 80" monitor? Hell yes! Bring on the unlimited desktop space!

op the 8gb 290x in crossfire gets roughly in the 30 fps range it was tested by tweak town or tweakpedia if i remember correctly so it should be kince meat for 390x

This is 4x 4K or 16x 1080p. I cant see dual 290x pulling 30fps with modern games.
Your smelling is quite poor btw :p

Back