What version of Windows was current when .NET Framework 3.5 was released?

Praetorius

Limp Gawd
I need to use a version of Windows that does not force me to use a version of .NET that's newer than 3.5 when trying to run software like CorelDraw and SolidWorks, both of which are asking for 3.5

Windows 8.1 does not allow me to install .NET 3.5

I don't quite understand you're question. You know every .NET framework has everything the one before it has right? For example,.NET 4 will run .NET 4 programs, .NET 3.5, and before. .NET 4.5 runs 4, 3.5, and before. Etc, etc.

I don't quite understand you're question. You know every .NET framework has everything the one before it has right? For example,.NET 4 will run .NET 4 programs, .NET 3.5, and before. .NET 4.5 runs 4, 3.5, and before. Etc, etc.

In theory yes, but I've seen software that requires certain versions of .net. Off hand I can't think of any, if I do I'll post it.

It really depends. A .NET app may use a configuration file which specifies only certain supported runtimes, so depending on whether it's the app or .NET runtime thowing up an error/exception, it could be an extraneous check, or .NET quitting based on the config file. Also, newer versions of .NET aren't necessarily 100% compatible with older versions. That's one of the big reasons you can usually install multiple .NET runtime versions side by side (and that's particularly critical with IIS).

.NET 3.5 came with Windows 7. Have you checked to see if there are any updates for those applications? It's possible an update has fixed the problem you're having.

Sometimes older software that attempts to look for the .Net libraries in Win8 has trouble and you have to run it as admin or in compatibility mode.

I understand that, but during the installation of programs like CorelDraw and SolidWorks it is notifying me that .NET 3.5 is required to complete the installation process. Then when I try to install .NET 3.5, I'm told that installation cannot proceed because .NET 4 is already on my system. The only solution I can think of is to downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 which would allow me to install .NET 3.5

I'm fairly certain I installed 3.5 in 8.1 the other day. Windows is usually pretty good about this, installing the correct runtime when it's needed at launch time. When an installer is doing its own version checks, however, all bets are off.

If you can simply bypass the standard installation process, and thereby process the pre-launch checks, you should be able to get by.

In 8.x, you add .NET 3.5 by using the "Turn Windows features on or off" applet, you can't install it manually.

Just installed the trial of the latest version of of CorelDraw X6 on my Windows 8.1 desktop and it worked perfectly, which the exception of having to let the installer run ActiveX controls, apparently the UI of the installer is web based.

I need to use a version of Windows that does not force me to use a version of .NET that's newer than 3.5 when trying to run software like CorelDraw and SolidWorks, both of which are asking for 3.5

Windows 8.1 does not allow me to install .NET 3.5
I'm pretty sure that .NET 3.5 was installed on my 8.1 setup when I tried to install a program that needed it. It wasn't CorelDraw or SolidWorks, however; it may have been Hancom Office 2010 SE+ Viewer. (Hancom Office is a Korean office suite.)

I'm pretty sure that .NET 3.5 was installed on my 8.1 setup when I tried to install a program that needed it. It wasn't CorelDraw or SolidWorks, however; it may have been Hancom Office 2010 SE+ Viewer. (Hancom Office is a Korean office suite.)
It may have tried to silently install 3.5, and did nothing when it silently failed. 3.5 won't install on Win8.x.

As mentioned above, .NET 4.x will generally run .NET 3.x and .NET 2.x applications fine, so it's no surprise that Hancom Office works.

You can install .NET 3.5 on Win8.1 from the "Turn Windows features on and off" menu.
You may not be able to install via the actual installer, but you can enable it in Win8. It is not enabled by default.

RdECLLd.jpg

You can install .NET 3.5 on Win8.1 from the "Turn Windows features on and off" menu.
You may not be able to install via the actual installer, but you can enable it in Win8. It is not enabled by default.
Thanks for clearing that up.

In 8.x, you add .NET 3.5 by using the "Turn Windows features on or off" applet, you can't install it manually.

RdECLLd.jpg

Thanks a lot, guys! This helps so much!!

Back