what type of panel would the average game dev use?

Lith1um

2[H]4U
My monitor is on it's last breath and I'm trying to decide what type of panel to buy, 120hz TN or S-IPS.

I began to wonder what type of panels that game devs use. I'd like to see BF3 in the same glory that the developers intended.

To make my decision even tougher I read a review that the SA750 offers an outstanding experience in 2d because it really showed off BF3's lighting effects and colors well.

Are regions of banding and dithering evident in S-IPS panels while gaming? My 2yr old 28" TN panel can look pretty bad in some darker scenes.

Looking for the perfect display is like searching for a needle in a haystack, all I know for sure is I want at least a 27 or possibly a 30. The more I read the more I feel like I'm on a unicorn hunt. :b

What to does the average dev use?

I'm not an expert, but I do watch G4TV and when they do interviews with game developers most I see are HP or Dell IPS monitors. I never see 120hz TN panels used by game developers.

I would imagine anyone doing the artwork and textures of a game are using IPS monitors at a minimum.

Those testing out any 3D support or other graphical capabilities maybe using 120hz monitors.

Devs use whatever they are given, I would guess most of them have no clue as to what type of display they are using. In most dev diairies they usually have a Dell IPS monitor and TV on there desk (probably using a VA panel).

Last edited:
Judging by the richness of colour and depth of many games I'd say an IPS. Most photo/texture editing types would be using a wide colour gamut panel for best accuracy.

Playing BFBC2/Crysis1/2 on u2711 was spectacular. Even doom3 kicked ass, colours alone made it like playing the game again. The slightly higher lag is a worthy tradeoff IMO.

Playing BFBC2/Crysis1/2 on u2711 was spectacular. Even doom3 kicked ass, colours alone made it like playing the game again. The slightly higher lag is a worthy tradeoff IMO.

The zr27w would solve that though.

it all depends on what they're doing. An artist is going to have different needs than a coder, writer and tester.

I'm sure every studio is different as well, but most probably use general workstation grade equipment (more than likely Dell workstations and monitors)

The zr27w would solve that though.

Fair call, no scaler would help. The samsung 850 also seemed to have noticeably less lag than the u2711. It's not huge or impairing but side by side you can see it. I don't know if the samsung has a scaler or not.

I think they use CRTs lol, I know where you ca get a nice professional one cheap lol, Just messing... or am I? Anyways if its not that it has to be the ips its the only thing that even gets close to crts in color quality.

they of course do use CRT's, especially SONY GDM-FW900 and it's clones from HP and SGI. I saw few on various documentaries about making games like Uncharted, God of War, etc :)

and surprise surprise: those games looks best on FW900 :cool: everything else do too :p

Back