What type of ethernet cable can i buy/use?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So, Comcast internet goes from the pole outside to our living room, into the Comcast provided black Motorola box, from there a cable brings the internet to this: DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router ( http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530 )

(and heres the issue):

From there, a ethernet cord goes into the atic, 75 feet to upstairs (my brothers room), and that cable goes into this: DGS-2205 5-Port 10/100/1000 Desktop Switch ( http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=494 )

Currently the cable is crap. When bought, it was the type you have to put your own connectors on the end, and so whenever something bumps the wire in my brothers room, the internet up there goes out.

Our solution, is to now buy a new ethernet cord, 100 footer. I however am not POSITIVE what type to get. I know there is Cat5, Cat6, Crossover, the other version that isnt crossover....etc

What type of ethernet cable am i supposed to buy?

Thank you so much for the help, hoping to buy new cable tomorrow (sat) so the internet will work upstairs.

Currently the cable is crap. When bought, it was the type you have to put your own connectors on the end, and so whenever something bumps the wire in my brothers room, the internet up there goes out.

It does that because you didn't put the mod plug on correctly. Either that or you messed up the cable inside. If it's solid cable, it's not meant to move around.

Get Cat5e or Cat6. No need for crossover since most devices now are auto-mdix now.

I have so very few long runs in my house. Only 1 that's over ~15 feet. So I just purchase cables as I need them. That way I don't have a spool sitting around useless. I did swap out a bunch of ANCIENT cat5 with cat6 though when I did my switch upgrade. It's so nice to have gigabit finally.

Cables usually come with no ends, that is how we run our own custom distance, usually from a spool, and then we terminate them where we need to.

Cables usually come with no ends, that is how we run our own custom distance, usually from a spool, and then we terminate them where we need to.

You should try the pull packs; they dispense way easier because it's not necessary to rotate the spool in the box.

Although personally, if the wire is going to be in a location where it won't move around such as inside a tray, conduit, wall, dropped ceiling, etc, I'd use keystones. Then use a pre-fab cable between the jack and the device. Taking labor into account, pre-fab patch cords are less expensive and more consistent IMO.

Setup jacks that lead to a patch panel. Do all your patching at that point. No need for dangling wires everywhere.

A proper install, even with cat5 (but may as well go cat6 if you're doing the work) will be more then enough bandwidth for most internet connections, unless you have FIOS with a couple 100mbps up/down then you WANT cat6 to get the proper speeds.

I see the problem was solved, but I would always recommend http://www.monoprice.com. I have bought tons of cat 5e there soo cheap. I wouldn't rule out making cables. I have made phone cables--putting the ends on, for years, but lining up the wires and checking the depths that insert the cable into the end--as well as how square the cut is--makes cat 5e cable-making a bit harder. Unless you do it a lot, stick to the pre-made cables.

I have found that the outdoor wire cat5e is a bit stiffer and easier to put ends on.

good luck...

Yep monoprice is awesome for cables. Even though I'm in Canada it's still cheaper to pay the $100 shipping then to buy locally. Next time I do an order from there I'm buying a ton of misc length cat6 patch cords. Also need to decide if I want to color code stuff, and buy different colors.

Back