What type of equipment do I need for a Cisco Lab at home...

RiDDLeRThC

2[H]4U
I know this question has been asked before but after searching i never really found a good answer, I’m going to start studying for my CCNA and after that hope for my CCNP and would try to get setup a lab that I can work on at home. Can anyone that has taken the classes need or know a lot about Cisco equipment tell me what I might need in my rack at home?

I know cisco equipment is pretty expensive, but there are some simulation programs out there which let you setup some fake lans and there are terminals to type the commands etc. I have messed around with it for a few moments, but not very long. There are lab exercises in which it walks you through settings things up and all that. Pretty interesting and takes away the burden of buying and storing large amounts of equipment. It is called Boson NetSIm. I think there is a trial version, but the retail is 2 or 300 dollars.

I know this doesnt directly answer your question, but hopefully something to look into.

I'm in the same boat as your are with respect to currently studying for my CCNA. I just got done the Bootcamp last Saturday. I'm now just using Virtual Labs to do the rest of my studying. I'm lucky enough to have been given a Cisco 1720 to tool around with and practice Configurations on also. The Virtual Labs are pretty good and will do just fine IMO for study.

There are a few Free Virtual labs out there to download. Just google "Free CCNA Virtual Labs".

If you have money to burn you can buy the CCNA study Kit. There are plenty on E-bay to be had.

CCNA LAB

well I do have a little money to burn but from what i am understanding from other threads like this most the CCNA Labs on ebay have a lot of older equipment in it that isn't too helpful with todays tests

If you sign up for classes somewhere, I know some colleges have equipment rentals. And for pretty cheap.

I JUST finished my first semester of the CCNP series last night, and didnt use the school lab one bit. Me and a friend pooled our cisco gear and we're able to do everything out of class. I have 1x2514, and 2x2501's, and 1xCatalyst 1924. My friend had 1x2514, 1x2501, and 1xCatalyst 1924. Just dont forget to buy plenty of AUI-RJ45 adapters, and DTE/DCE cables off ebay.

(The AUI adapters plug into the AUI port on the back of the 2500's and give u a standard RJ45 (or Fiber, or BNC) ethernet port. The DTE/DCE cables connect serial ports together, allowing you to simulate WAN's like Frame Relay connections and such.)

To be honest, a few 2500's and a 1900 switch or 2 are PLENTY for the CCNA and what I've taken of the CCNP so far. Just make sure you have plenty of flash and RAM in them if you want to run a newer IOS like 12.2 or so. (FYI, the 2500's max out at 16 RAM, 16 Flash). You'll probably want the memory maxed. 2600's are getting cheaper on ebay, but they are still more than the 2500's when last I checked. To be honest, most of the CCNA/CCNP kits I've seen on ebay are overpriced.

Also, I used the Boson NetSim's extensively. They are pretty damn good for what they are. I used to go through the labs anytime I had a few free moments so that I knew what I was doing when I was actually at home and going through them on the real equipment.

Fire away with any other questions you have.

I bought 2x2503, 1X2502, 1x2501, and 1x2514 and 2 1924 switches which got me through the CCNA no problem. More than enough actually. Take Nybbles suggestion and upgrade the ram so you can run the newest IOS. I bought these about 4 years ago on yahoo auctions here in Japan very cheap. So I think you should be able to pick up any of these models even cheaper now.
From what Ive seen of the Netsim software, its very robust and cheaper than buying your own lab. But the only drawback is not seeing what real world problems can occur when setting up a real physical network and troubleshooting them.

for a virtual lab simulation packet tracer by CISCO, it's free but it's not updated with new CISCO equipment. My highschool has it's own cisco lab with a bunch of routers, switches, hubs, and other equipment. When were not on those we use software based programs, one of which is packet tracer.

Back