What type are these quad-SATA ports?

petreza

n00b
Hi,

Could you please take a look at Supermicro X11DPG-QT motherboard. In the lower left corner it has 2 ports (gray/black color) where each provides 4 SATA connections. For higher resolution picture download the pdf manual (menu on the right).
I want to get the appropriate cables for this but the manual is no help.

Thank you!

It's hard to tell from the picture, but those look like SAS connectors. I've got ports that look like that on my MegaRAID 8308ELP controller. SAS is compatible with SATA. As in you can connect SATA drives to those with the correct cable.

ISATA

The X11DPG-QT has eight I-SATA 3.0 ports (I-SATA0~3, I-SATA4~7) which are supported by the Intel® C621 chipset. In addition, it also has two S-SATA 3.0 ports (S-SATA4/ S-SATA5) that are supported by the Intel® SCU. S-SATA4/5 can be used with Supermicro SuperDOMs which are yellow SATA DOM connectors with power pins built in, and do not require external power cables. Supermicro SuperDOMs are backward-compatible with regular SATA HDDs or SATA DOMs that need external power cables. All these SATA ports provide serial-link signal connections, which are faster than the connections of Parallel ATA.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help.

If you zoom in really close on the schematic of the motherboard you can see the pins. See attached. These are 36-pin connectors - most likely mini-SAS - check out Wikipedia.

Attachments

• SAS connector.png
    SAS connector.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 15
Back