What TVs do 120hertz with freesync? Hdmi 2.1

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought the Q70T 75inch Samsung TV for the upcoming consoles and heard that the tv only does freesync at 60hertz@4k resolution. Not 120hertz. So I thought on the hdmi 2.1 port 4k@120fps/hertz freesync was possible. Is that not true?

Start reading rtings.com reviews.

Nice and thanks. I read their reviews. It looks like the 4k VRR Maximum is 60hertz. For my TV. Are there any TVs that do VRR 120hertz 4k? If I bought this TV for 4k resolution with 120hertz that hdmi 2.1 provides I'd hate to be stuck at 60 hertz cause thats the VRR max on my TV for 4k resolution.

Does anyone know if it's possible to run 4k@120hertz without freesync on the new series x? Cause if I enable freesync I'll be stuck at 60hertz@4k. And would really like to see 120fps. Am I making sense? Also would running @ 4k 120fps/120hertz without freesync be better then running 4k@60fps/60hertz WITH freesync? Seems like this is the limitation of my TV. HDMI 2.1 on the Q70T has a VRR max of 4k@60hertz. Even the Q90T has that limitation. Thanks!

Nice and thanks. I read their reviews. It looks like the 4k VRR Maximum is 60hertz. For my TV. Are there any TVs that do VRR 120hertz 4k? If I bought this TV for 4k resolution with 120hertz that hdmi 2.1 provides I'd hate to be stuck at 60 hertz cause thats the VRR max on my TV for 4k resolution.

Does anyone know if it's possible to run 4k@120hertz without freesync on the new series x? Cause if I enable freesync I'll be stuck at 60hertz@4k. And would really like to see 120fps. Am I making sense? Also would running @ 4k 120fps/120hertz without freesync be better then running 4k@60fps/60hertz WITH freesync? Seems like this is the limitation of my TV. HDMI 2.1 on the Q70T has a VRR max of 4k@60hertz. Even the Q90T has that limitation. Thanks!

Note that their reviews for the Q90T for example say:

The TV is advertised as being able to display a 4k @ 120Hz signal; however, we weren't able to do so, even when using the same computer and settings that we had used for the Q90R. It most likely requires an HDMI 2.1 source, of which there are none at this time. We'll retest this once a proper source is available and provide an update.

So either the display does not support it or requires HDMI 2.1, which is not yet available so they can't test it. Same thing for a lot of other TVs. While for example the LG CX OLEDs support 4K 120 Hz 8-bit 4:2:0, they cannot yet be tested at full chroma due to lack of HDMI 2.1 sources.

Note that their reviews for the Q90T for example say:

So either the display does not support it or requires HDMI 2.1, which is not yet available so they can't test it. Same thing for a lot of other TVs. While for example the LG CX OLEDs support 4K 120 Hz 8-bit 4:2:0, they cannot yet be tested at full chroma due to lack of HDMI 2.1 sources.

Ok. I just read to that Samsungs new 2020 TVs with HDMI 2.1 ports have a VRR Max of 4k@60hertz. So that is a limitation of the TV. I guess the current crop can't do 120hertz with VRR @ 4k. Seems a Samsung limitation.

So I wonder if I should just not use VRR or disable it somehow and just use 4k resolution @ 120hertz. IS that possible to do? Without VRR? I wonder what the difference would look like. VRR 120hertz @ 4k vs 120hertz @ 4k without VRR. Or would it look better at my TVs max of 4k VRR 60hertz with VRR? What do you think?

Ok. I just read to that Samsungs new 2020 TVs with HDMI 2.1 ports have a VRR Max of 4k@60hertz. So that is a limitation of the TV. I guess the current crop can't do 120hertz with VRR @ 4k. Seems a Samsung limitation.

So I wonder if I should just not use VRR or disable it somehow and just use 4k resolution @ 120hertz. IS that possible to do? Without VRR? I wonder what the difference would look like. VRR 120hertz @ 4k vs 120hertz @ 4k without VRR. Or would it look better at my TVs max of 4k VRR 60hertz with VRR? What do you think?

I'd take 4K 120 Hz without VRR if that is the compromise you need to make. But as said, you can't really get that without a HDMI 2.1 GPU. VRR can be disabled from the source from Nvidia or AMD control panel.

Yeah, I found VRR to not be that useful at 60 Hz. At least on my 2018 Samsung, the FreeSync range was only 48 - 60 Hz (at 4K) which is almost not even worth it.

You really need high refresh to get the best experience on VRR. 4K120 with VSync off would likely look and play better than 4K60 VRR.

Ok. So I will be able to play games on the series x with 4k resolution @ 120hertz/120FPS over the 2.1 hdmi port. But without freesync. Or I can play 4k games with freesync at 60 hertz. Got that.

Why would a free sync range of 48 to 60 fps not be worth it? I just want to get ready for the new consoles coming in November.

See the Rtings review:
While this TV is supposed to support 4k up to 120Hz, we weren't able to display a signal higher than 4k @60Hz, even with the same computer and settings that we used to test the Q90R, which worked perfectly. We expect that it requires an HDMI 2.1 source, and since none are available at this time, we'll retest it when we can and provide an update.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q70t-qled

Looks like 4K120 does *not* work right now, but may in the future (for example for XBSX or PS5).

I don't know specifically about this TV supporting FreeSync at 120Hz, but I assume it will since my 2018 Samsung does (but at 1440p since HDMI 2.0 doesn't have the bandwidth).

Well FreeSync could still be useful at 60Hz, it just doesn't add so much.

If you can run near 60 fps it is better to just lower a few settings and get to 60.

And if you are still struggling for 60 you will probably drop below 48 in which case FreeSync won't save you.

For example, on some displays you can get a VRR range of around 20 - 120, which is super useful.

I hope Samsung updates the T series line of TVs to allow Freesync to work at 4k resolution at 120 hertz. No just 60 hertz. I want it to run at the TVs native HDMI 2.1 ability.

Damn, talk about 1st world problems huh? Imagine being in another country right now, not even being able to find clean water or food or shelter. Unreal.

Back