What to use to cover side panel fan cutouts?

JJ Johnson

Gawd
I'm building a file server in a Cooler Master Centurion 590 case and it has _way_ too many fan mounts and perforated cutouts in the panels for this application. I'll use one, or maybe both of the two top 120's for exhaust fans, as well as the included 120mm exhaust fan at the rear. Plus two 92mm intake fans at the back of the two hotswap drive cages that I'm using. The motherboard has onboard video, so the only card mounted in the system might be a RAID controller. This make the two 120mm side panel fan mounts undesirable, as well as one that is for some unexplained reason located underneath the motherboard tray on the opposite side.

What's a good material and method of covering the side vents so that it somewhat matches the black case color? Duct tape would work, but it wouldn't look very good.

I would say make a window :)... but that requires alot of work...

Maybe put fan filters on it?

I dunno how to make it look clean with out putting a good amount of work into it

I would say make a window :)... but that requires alot of work...

Maybe put fan filters on it?

Neither is an option. I need a window like I need a bomb in my car. The openings need to be blocked to facilitate front to back airflow and make sure that most of the incoming air flows over the 8 or 10 hard drives that will be in the case.

The window would block the opening...

Use Bondo?

Make a Fan grill that is solid lol.

There are plugs for holes in sheet metal but I haven't seen any that large. Black duct tape maybe wouldn't be all that bad would it. You could try a place like Tap Plastic or you end up fabricating your own plug. Cut a matching piece of sheet metal to fill the hole, glue/weld/solder in place and refinish. Maybe an auto body repair kit, some kind of epoxy/fiberglass fill. Also try hobby shops. Finally, if the piece can be removed it might be easier to make a whole new one.

just get some small pieces of plexi (like the windows) and drill some small holes to mount them, or just use that good 3m tape. done.

Back