What to use for desktop customization?

CyberSlave

[H]ard|Gawd
What programs are around to customize your desktop.
I know of a few, but please list what you can think of (with links please)

Haven't been to happy with Samurize or blackbox, what else is out there?

If you mean like themes for XP, then StyleXP is what I use... I find it pretty much flawless, especially since they added Login pages, bootscreens and icons.

CrimandEvil said:
What do you mean/ Like skinning?

new look for the desktop and taskbar.
Somethings that has a lot of customization, yet is simple to use.

I would use windowblinds !

The only reason I dont use it is because I use Ultramon which has some problems with windwoblinds (hoping they get sorted out next release). I dont know why you would use stylexp when all it does is hack the theme dll which can be done for free.

Anyways it is up to the person because it is there computer.

Bio Hazord said:
I would use windowblinds !

The only reason I dont use it is because I use Ultramon which has some problems with windwoblinds (hoping they get sorted out next release). I dont know why you would use stylexp when all it does is hack the theme dll which can be done for free.

Anyways it is up to the person because it is there computer.

Windows Blinds is known to cause many problems.
Style XP > Windows Blinds.

CyberSlave said:
how well does styleXP work with UltraMon and a duel set-up

Perfectly.

I don't have ultramon installed now, but I did and never had an issue. Window Blinds was nothing but a pain in the ass for me and a dual set up... the window on my right monitor would sitck into my task bar and I could never see shit. (my task bar is horizontal)

I guess I should take back my last comment. I am thinking about trying style xp but I have heard storys about it slowing down games and if you leave your computer on to long (1-2 days) it gets all slugish. Can any one clear this up?

Bio Hazord said:
I guess I should take back my last comment. I am thinking about trying style xp but I have heard storys about it slowing down games and if you leave your computer on to long (1-2 days) it gets all slugish. Can any one clear this up?

I keep my computer on 24/7 and usually do a restart once or twice every month. Style XP has caused no problems for me, and it doesn't slow down my system at all.

I tried both WindowBlinds and Style XP.

WindowBlinds kinda slowed down my computer and I really didn't like it too much.

Style XP is what I'm using now and it has been working flawlessly for me. It doesn't take up any resources at all and it has some nice features to it like if you ever wanted to change your icons, log in or boot screen.

You can find themes and other stuff for Style XP @ ThemeXP

instead of using styleXP as 3rd party software i just patched my uxtheme.dll and now can switch between themes or visual styles easily without using different software....

Back