What to play after Wolfenstein 2?

Ryland

2[H]4U
I have finished both of the recent Wolfenstein games and was wondering what other recent games are in that same vein? Does Fallout 4 of a similar enough game style?

Aren't there 3 recent Wolfenstein games (new order, old blood, colossus)? Anyway, Fallout 4 is probably very open-worldy / pick your quest kind of play (haven't actually played it), while the Wolfenstein's are pretty straight-on linear FPS (which I also liked). The Bioshock games are pretty linear, the last one having the most FPS action. So those might be a good follow up. Or Dishonored and its follow on's, are also more linear. Not so FPS, but can be played stealth or combat style.

Thanks for reminding me that I still have Dishonored 1 to finish. Maybe I should look at picking up the 2nd one.

New Order was the best story driven FPS to ever come out. There aren’t other games like it. Even Old Blood and Collossus pale to new order.

If you like story driven games try Witcher 3
if you like buttery smooth fast paced FPS, try 2016 Doom

Those represent the traditional best of their genre, but there is no equal to New Order that I’ve ever played.

New Order was the best story driven FPS to ever come out. There aren’t other games like it. Even Old Blood and Collossus pale to new order.

If you like story driven games try Witcher 3
if you like buttery smooth fast paced FPS, try 2016 Doom

Those represent the traditional best of their genre, but there is no equal to New Order that I’ve ever played.
I know I started playing Witcher and stopped for some reason. How is W3? Doom 2016 was the typical "keep throwing enemies at you" game. I tried the newer Prey and found that there just isnt enough bullets in the environment to succeed although I might retry it and build a lot of bullets/shells.

I typically play games like Dues Ex, Wolfenstein, Half Life, etc. I wonder how the newer Metro games are.

I've never been a huge fan of Wolfenstein, got through it but didn't exactly enjoy it. I feel like you'd be a prime candidate for the Metro games as far as corridor shooters go. I'm trying to get through Metro Exodus currently but having some the same feelings about it as I do other corridor shooters (Even though Exodus is more open than the previous titles). But it may be up your alley.

I've never been a huge fan of Wolfenstein, got through it but didn't exactly enjoy it. I feel like you'd be a prime candidate for the Metro games as far as corridor shooters go. I'm trying to get through Metro Exodus currently but having some the same feelings about it as I do other corridor shooters (Even though Exodus is more open than the previous titles). But it may be up your alley.
I guess I should see how Metro 2033 is figuring I do have it in my steam library although it is 8 years old...

Titanfall 2 was pretty cool although rather short. Next up is Metro Last light Redux...

Definitely play Old Blood if you haven't. It's somewhere between a full game and DLC in length, and dovetails nicely with the other games.

I'd second Titanfall 2. It's a bit of a sleeper darling among gamers at this point for its unexpectedly great single-player campaign.

The Metro games are fun, but definitely more plodding than Wolfenstein. And if you didn't like Prey due to the lack of ammo/resources, you'll likely not like Metro for the same reason.

I can add Old Blood to the list. I kind of needed to get away from Wolfenstein for a bit due to playing them back to back.

I have finished both of the recent Wolfenstein games and was wondering what other recent games are in that same vein? Does Fallout 4 of a similar enough game style?
Rage 2 when it drops

I figure you've probably either played or have passed over it but just in case, have you played Borderlands 2 (and following that, Borderlands: The Pre Sequel)? Both of those are great action shooters with light-hearted stories, the potential for great multiplayer and 'diablo-style looter/class" elements, and more. As others have suggested, if you liked the Wolfenstein games definitely pick up The Old Blood - it was sort of an expansion prequel set before The New Order and was easily on the same level as far as overall experience (I enjoyed all three but I felt some decisions/design in The New Colossus, notably toward the end weren't as strong as they could have been. Though there were some parts I loved, like the different "modes of action" from chair, to suit, to new body).

If you like the Deus Ex (I am going to assume you already played Human Revolution and Mankind Divided) series, then definitely play Dishonored. Its semi-linear, but there are many ways to approach a given problem. Note that Dishonored 1 and expansions (included as DLC) , Dishonored 2, and Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (which is a stand-alone expansion/side story) are all worthwhile and those who enjoy the story will get the most playing them in sequence. You may also enjoy the Bioshock complete series , if you've not played them in sequence. Keep in mind there are remastered/upgraded versions of some of the titles (Bioshock Remastered, Bioshock 2 remastered.) now which are worth seeking out for compatibility if nothing else. Of course, play Bioshock Infinite last of all and be sure to get the Season Pass which comes with 2 expansions that basically tie up the whole multi-game saga!

The Metro2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux may be good ideas for something a little different, but they have a different feel entirely; this may be good or bad. As others have said there is more of a plodding pace to it, elements of survival and being trapped in a wasteland with limited resources. Note that 2033 and Last Light both have different styles of gameplay to them, so you may like one and dislike the other - the "Redux" versions, among tons of other improvements, actually have modes that make each game "more like the other one" which is a neat thing to do.

If you enjoyed Dishonored, Deus Ex, and/or Bioshock, I would consider giving Prey another chance - especially if you like some level of philosophy in the game and its story. They have since come out with not just refinements to the game balance itself but also a stand-alone expansion campaign called Mooncrash (which I've not played as of yet but I've heard good things). Prey and its expansion are both the kind of older school "System shock" title where yeah, you have to be a little careful of how you use materials but there is more than enough to survive and there are times you'lll be running and gunning with the best of them.

I've not played Titanfall 2 but I too hear that it has a surprisingly good single player campaign. Color me interested as well, but I think (assuming you don't go a-piratin',) its available on Origin cheaply and included entirely in one month of the Origin Access program.

Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 4, and Skyrim are all less about being shooters/slashers and more open world than the other games discussed so far. Don't get me wrong there is a LOT of shooting you can do, but they're open world RPG shooter/slashers. The Witcher 3 is totally different from its previous two games and is more like a 3rd person open world RPG adventure - with great writing and overall enjoyability - but it may or may not be your type of game. If you're open to playing the more narratively focused RPGs first, The Witcher and The Witcher 2 are both less open-world focused than their sequel. Note, at this point both games still hold up but can feel cumbersome without certain mods due to their age - if you want info on this just let me know!

Any other questions I'll do my best!

It sounds like I need to try Old Blood and will get to it. I did start Dishonored but stopped mid way although I think that was more because something stopped me from gaming than from not liking it so I should go back to it. I didnt like Bioshock, just too "weird" I guess. I dont remember why I didnt like Borderlands but I did give it a try. I loved the original Prey and had played the new one about a month or two ago so Im not sure when the rebalance patch was released.

I started the first Witcher and vaguely remember liking it but once again, no clue why I stopped. A lot of that might be due to having a young son at the time it was released.

I think Im going to try Last Light and see how I like it then maybe go back to Dishonored 1.

The old blood was good but their save system is weird. I was supposedly at 42% complete, fought the monster, grabbed the folder and cutscene then the game was over. That last 58% was quick...

Back