What to look for?

I've been a long time AMD user and now want to build an Intel computer. The problem being is I have no clue what's new, good and so forth with intel. Basically I will be using this computer to record and mix music with, so no overclocking. I want something very stable and as up to date as possible but not looking for the bleeding edge of technology. SATA would be nice, no need for pci-express, though I don't think that really matters right now. If you could possible recommend a good processor to go with it, that would be much appreciated too, thanks.

Rob

Intel surely will provide a stable platform. If I were building a machine now I would get a i915X or i925X board with an LGA775 CPU and DDR1 or DDR2 depending on your selected chipset and go with a PCI-E 6600GT or X700XT video card when they become available. Or you could use a PCI-E 5750.

Abit and Intel are the boards I would choose. The Asus boards are badass but WAY to expensive.

The ABit AA8's MoBo's are realy good boards,and if you are into overclocking they are the best choice.
They aren't cheap, but compared to some other high end x925 boards they are a very good buy.
Pci-e is the next "big" thing. It might be more expensive (DDR2 ram is very expensive) but if you stay with Pci bus it is only going to lead to another upgrade not to long down the line.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into those. I'm not too concerned with pci-e because the cards that I'll need to put in this will all be regular pci. By the time I would need to upgrade up to newer cards that might use pci-e I'm sure I'll upgrade the whole computer anyway. I have a spare card I can use for the video card, don't need gaming type graphics or anything.

Once again, thanks for the replies and if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Rob

A good chip would be the 2.4C or 2.8E.... Hard to see why one might not overclock, at least very mildly considering the enormous gains from the intel processors these days. I bought a 2.4A prescott that does 3.6ghz :) Anyway, I'd couple this with an 875p board.

This computer is not really going to be for "personal" use. It's for a business that a friend and I are starting up so I don't want to push it harder then need be. I want good stable performance, that is my main concern.

Anyone know any other place other then newegg to shop, newegg seems to be having some problems the last couple days. Though I guess that would be for another thread.

Rob

I usually buy from newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com as their service are proven.

Back