What to look for in a DOCSIS modem?

OpenSource Ghost

Limp Gawd
I know what I want/need from a router, but I don't know much about modems. Most of the time I let ISP supply gateway units which I place in bridged mode. If I am to go with a personal modem, then for what features should I look? My ISP uses DOCSIS 3.1 cable network. I don't know enough about modems and how they work to even know whether they can offer/lack additional security or whichever other benefits.

My current modem is mostly fine, but it is very sensitive to static. About once a month ISP's modem dashboard starts showing high number of correctables and even a higher number of uncorrectables. ISP suggests to unscrew coax cable and touch the exposed part with something metal or just my hand to get rid of static. That actually works and the problem goes away for another month or so. I also don't like how much power my ISP exercises over its own hardware, even if rent is paid off entirely. My ISP can login to its own gateways to make any changes it desires without first notifying the customer or letting the customer know afterwards. For example, my ISP's gateway firmware updates reset gatgeway itself and it isn't an issue if it is bridged, but if in router mode, then all NAT/firewall rules get wiped... How hard can it be to notify the customer about scheduled maintence?

Maybe check your cable grounding? Theoretically, the cable should be connected to your house ground at the demarc. If you don't know what that means, it's probably something your cable system should have done when they first installed the cable, and they might be convinced to come by and do it; it may have been skipped because it wasn't required at the time, or it can take a while and usually doesn't cause issues if you didn't do it.

Cable ISPs tend to exercise the same power over modems on their system regardless of who owns them. It is what it is. (Almost?) All cable modems support TR-069 management, which means you cable operator can do whatevs w/ your modem. If your current modem can remember routing vs bridged, but not firewall rules, don't run it in routing mode. IMHO, you want to separate functions for modem, routing, and access points; then you can fiddle with each of these things on their own.

Didnt know about this Intel Puma business. Good thing I haven’t bought the Arris SB6190 I’ve been thinking about getting!

I just upgraded to 600Mbit and Arris’s website is a bit confusing if my current SB6183 can handle that bandwidth or not.

Since commscope has taken over arris their products release has been really good. Avoid modems with Intel on/in them as those chips will fail and have weird intermittent packet dropping.
I bough my own modem a year ago and tried the Arris S33 after hearing some good things and researching what people on dslreports said and reading the PCB breakdown analysis and its been absolutely fantastic.

DOCSIS 3.1 modems will be more reliable if the ISP supports both DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1, regardless of speed. It has better error-detection and fewer channels. (And no, I can't link a source. This is one of those things I read ages ago)

My last ARRIS modem lasted 6 months although they've been fine before in the past. I bought a Netgear CM1000 this next time and couldn't be happier..

The last time I refreshed my cable modem I was looking for a few things in this order.

1. Not a Puma chip (learned that the hard way)
https://approvedmodemlist.com/intel-puma-6-modem-list-chipset-defects/
2. Docsis 3 or 3.1
3. price from $80 to $120 or so.
4. if I can find an 'approved list' for my provider.
Didnt know about this Intel Puma business. Good thing I haven’t bought the Arris SB6190 I’ve been thinking about getting!

I just upgraded to 600Mbit and Arris’s website is a bit confusing if my current SB6183 can handle that bandwidth or not.
Since commscope has taken over arris their products release has been really good. Avoid modems with Intel on/in them as those chips will fail and have weird intermittent packet dropping.
I bough my own modem a year ago and tried the Arris S33 after hearing some good things and researching what people on dslreports said and reading the PCB breakdown analysis and its been absolutely fantastic.
Don't worry about the puma fake news at all. I have 2x sb6190s that have a latency sensitive link between them across the country and both have been flawless, pass the dslreports puma test flawlessly, and have been running on 2x different isps for the better part of 5yrs+ without an issue because if there was latency, I would instantly feel it (and have felt it when isps are having issues). If anything, use the puma scare to pick up an sb6190 cheap as I did from someone who read about the scare and simply boxed theirs back up after opening it. Got it for half the price of the other one I bought new at best buy.

As far as 600Mbs with the 6183--I would just try it. If you see you're not hitting your paid speeds, then it could be the modem or more likely the isp not having a configuration file for the 6183 to force you to buy a newer modem.

As far as buying a modem, I wouldn't buy new and pick one up used from someone who no longer needs it due to moving/changing isps/etc. Modems pretty much work or they don't, and there's no need to spend more than $50 for one imo. Just make sure it is on your isp approval list

Buy any modem on the approved list for your cable vendor.
This is the answer you are looking for, and is pretty much the only thing that matters. Keep in mind that isps regularly drop modems so that consumer have to keep buying them (love that MF planned obsolescence), so use that to plan your purchase. I still remember all the fools buying the sb8200 for $200 to be 'upgrade proof' and then isps never implemented using the 2x ethernet ports so it was a complete waste of money. Lots of tricks and games in todays world--was nice when honesty and integrity were more than just words in the dictionary...

Don't worry about the puma fake news at all. I have 2x sb6190s that have a latency sensitive link between them across the country and both have been flawless, pass the dslreports puma test flawlessly, and have been running on 2x different isps for the better part of 5yrs+ without an issue because if there was latency, I would instantly feel it (and have felt it when isps are having issues). If anything, use the puma scare to pick up an sb6190 cheap as I did from someone who read about the scare and simply boxed theirs back up after opening it. Got it for half the price of the other one I bought new at best buy.

As far as 600Mbs with the 6183--I would just try it. If you see you're not hitting your paid speeds, then it could be the modem or more likely the isp not having a configuration file for the 6183 to force you to buy a newer modem.

As far as buying a modem, I wouldn't buy new and pick one up used from someone who no longer needs it due to moving/changing isps/etc. Modems pretty much work or they don't, and there's no need to spend more than $50 for one imo. Just make sure it is on your isp approval list

1) The Intel thing is not fake news. It happens. Because it doesn't happen to you is irrelevant. Why not hedge you bets and get something Broadcom based?

2) IMO, it's rare somebody would sell used a perfectly good cable-modem. There are reports of Motorola and Arris modems dying prematurely or having problems. Now I realize that's probably because the sample size is huge considering they are the two most popular brands, but still. I would not buy a used cable-modem. They aren't that expensive.

its def not fake news. Ive literally ran a ping -t and watched it drop out. Changed to non puma and it went away.

1) The Intel thing is not fake news. It happens. Because it doesn't happen to you is irrelevant. Why not hedge you bets and get something Broadcom based?

2) IMO, it's rare somebody would sell used a perfectly good cable-modem. There are reports of Motorola and Arris modems dying prematurely or having problems. Now I realize that's probably because the sample size is huge considering they are the two most popular brands, but still. I would not buy a used cable-modem. They aren't that expensive.
1. Totally fake because if there were issues at that level, retailers would have stopped carrying the product due to increased returns. We would do this when something had a higher return/failure rate because returns wipe out profits. Best Buy always stocked and sold them and never had any issues, which means even if there was a problem, it was mitigated.

Since I had bought our first one right at the height of the scare and was well within the return window, I tested it in every conceivable way, even comparing it to the comcast equipment to try to make it mess up. It never did. Even dslreports own puma test passed it. Used it to connect to a site a couple of states away for latency sensitive work and no issues. Got a second sb6190 used and set it up at the same site on a new isp and move the link endpoint to that modem (so now there are TWO puma modems connected to each other), and absolutely no drama. In fact, I'm using that connection myself right now and it's no different than my fibre one at another site. Total non-issue, at least on comcast and wow, the two isps that my two modems are on.

2. Completely false. I found this in 30 seconds on reddit and it was posted an hour ago, and this is the typical scenario when a modem is being sold ime:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwaresw...x_h_netgear_cm1000_tp_link_tc_w7960_w_paypal/
Another one from 4hrs ago:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/vgscym/usaazhnetgear_cm1000_w_paypal_or_local_cash/

And if a modem is going to die, one of my sb6190 should have bit the dust after being forced to work for 2 years in 100F+ 60% rhd conditions or it should have in the years after that when it was always 70F. Nope, no problems at all. My Dell server in the same room has been more affected by the temps.

Expensive is a relative term. To me, something is more expensive when the value isn't there. My first sb6190 was expensive compared to the second one because it cost 2x more for the exact same thing. And that's what used modems generally are--the exact same thing as their new counterparts (for the same exact model).

Last edited:
its def not fake news. Ive literally ran a ping -t and watched it drop out. Changed to non puma and it went away.
That's not necessarily a puma issue as these are still modems and still have to deal with a signal and conversion. Your replacement modem just might have grabbed onto the signal better as that can happen even between modems of the same model.

I monitor all my isp accounts for ping and packet loss 24x7 and my sb6190 sites are no different than any other site, even those with provided modems or fibre. There's nothing wrong with these modems in any testing that I've done that goes far beyond what consumers would be normally doing.

But it's fine if people think there's a problem because it just depresses the prices on these otherwise perfectly fine pieces of equipment. (y) So huge value from getting one used.

And here's some current data from my nailed up ping -t that's been on for probably a few months (or longer?) between the 2x sb6190s (IPsec vpn tunnel with 1.1 being the end point lan and mine is 5.1):
Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 1283143, Received = 1280396, Lost = 2747 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 77ms, Maximum = 596ms, Average = 82ms

It's a confirmed issue by Intel themselves. Once again, just because you aren't seeing an issue, doesn't mean others won't. Why bother and just simply buy a Broadcom based modem. (This is for the OP)

Yeah the SB6190 I had was absolutely terrible, it was dropping around 30% to 40% of my packets and massively lagging out on youtube and when I was downloading stuff. I kept it for around 2 months before I got so mad at having to constantly reboot my modem, I bought my current modem SB 8600, and all my problems went away. My connection was back to how it had been when I had my SB6141 that it had replaced.

It's a confirmed issue by Intel themselves. Once again, just because you aren't seeing an issue, doesn't mean others won't. Why bother and just simply buy a Broadcom based modem. (This is for the OP)
Because of the value since there really isn't any issue. You can get a used sb6190 for the price of a sb6183. And don't think the netgear, et al broadcoms didn't have their share of problems because that was one of the first thing I saw when people replaced their sb6190 for one that didn't have the 'puma problem'.

Why would it be on isps approved list if it had issues? Why wouldn't isps have dropped it the second it came out? There was probably a firmware or software fix that isps got that get pushed to the modems. All isps do that anyways so it would have simply been a part of their normal upgrade/fix routine. I think early on when these were not available must have been when everyone started bringing it up on the Internet, but by the time I bought my first one and plugged it in (over 5yrs ago I might add), it was a non-issue, and continues to be a non-issue.

Yeah the SB6190 I had was absolutely terrible, it was dropping around 30% to 40% of my packets and massively lagging out on youtube and when I was downloading stuff. I kept it for around 2 months before I got so mad at having to constantly reboot my modem, I bought my current modem SB 8600, and all my problems went away. My connection was back to how it had been when I had my SB6141 that it had replaced.
Again, that could also just be locking on the signal as it's a modem after all. Maybe there was an issue where the sb6190 wasn't as good at locking onto the isp signal, but that's not a modem's fault if the signal is weak. It's no different than in the dial up days when a USR Courier would connect at 28600 and a USR sportster or any other model would be lucky to get 24000--that's just modems and signals. The sb6141 was a tank as well--between that and the 6183 those are the models that made arris a household name.

I had an SB6190, it was fine.

I've since upgraded to an SB8200, its been more reliable overall and its more futureproof, and its the year 2022, so the decade+ old 6190 DOCSIS 3.0 modem shouldn't be on anyones buying list.

Anyway, if you're getting a ton of correctables and stuff, have you considered using MoCA Filters?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO5KHSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or even putting an amplifier near the input to your house?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792PTCFP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was having issues with dirty signal and after putting both of these on my cable line over a year ago, i haven't had a single problem since. Our house has a really dumb and super, super long cable trace for reasons that I can't comprehend and this was way cheaper than rewiring the entire house. Xfinity was trying to force me to use their hardware as a "fix" and fuck that.

Again, that could also just be locking on the signal as it's a modem after all. Maybe there was an issue where the sb6190 wasn't as good at locking onto the isp signal, but that's not a modem's fault if the signal is weak. It's no different than in the dial up days when a USR Courier would connect at 28600 and a USR sportster or any other model would be lucky to get 24000--that's just modems and signals. The sb6141 was a tank as well--between that and the 6183 those are the models that made arris a household name.

Well lets see, previous modem and current modem have no issues, 6190 does. Also I could go into the modem and see all the uncorrected errors it had and the connection warnings, that neither other modems had. Plus I had to reboot the modem every 2 or 3 days or I would not be able to connect to the internet, it would bog out and not pass any packets. I had to deal with all these issues after blowing $200+ on this piece of junk, so I dont see how your sample size of 2 is the only way it can be and ignore the many multiple people that had massive issues with this modem including me.

Well lets see, previous modem and current modem have no issues, 6190 does. Also I could go into the modem and see all the uncorrected errors it had and the connection warnings, that neither other modems had. Plus I had to reboot the modem every 2 or 3 days or I would not be able to connect to the internet, it would bog out and not pass any packets. I had to deal with all these issues after blowing $200+ on this piece of junk, so I dont see how your sample size of 2 is the only way it can be and ignore the many multiple people that had massive issues with this modem including me.
And all of those issues could have been directly related to a marginal signal. Again, it's still a modem, maybe one that needed a better signal but that's about it. Plus, the errors can also be on the isp end. I see errors on both of mine at different times depending on what is going on at the isp--not a modem issue, a signal issue.

I can't believe you spent $200 on it--that's almost double what I paid for mine new. :eek: If there were truly issues with the modem then even though my sample size is only 2, with the amount of other variables--different isps, states, temps, cabling, one of them should have been at least different than the other. But they aren't. They just work. It's great that people hate them so people that know they work can pick them up cheap.

I had an SB6190, it was fine.

I've since upgraded to an SB8200, its been more reliable overall and its more futureproof, and its the year 2022, so the decade+ old 6190 DOCSIS 3.0 modem shouldn't be on anyones buying list.

Anyway, if you're getting a ton of correctables and stuff, have you considered using MoCA Filters?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KO5KHSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Or even putting an amplifier near the input to your house?
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792PTCFP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was having issues with dirty signal and after putting both of these on my cable line over a year ago, i haven't had a single problem since. Our house has a really dumb and super, super long cable trace for reasons that I can't comprehend and this was way cheaper than rewiring the entire house. Xfinity was trying to force me to use their hardware as a "fix" and fuck that.
I looked at the 8200 back then and it was basically the same gigabit capability of the 6190 with a vague future functionality for the second ethernet port which was supposed to be a lagg or something like that which no isp ever implemented. The modem itself is solid, but it still commands a lot more than it should used so not something I look for in terms of value.

Interesting that you had an amplifier. Back in the day when I had 3x modems (yes, 3 separate modems), the isp had to add an amplifier to get enough signal to all 3. They went into an rv016 multiwan router to get me 24/768k back when 8/256k was the absolute fastest plan out there and I needed more upload bandwidth. I'm surprised the isp didn't install an amp vs you having to do it.

I looked at the 8200 back then and it was basically the same gigabit capability of the 6190 with a vague future functionality for the second ethernet port which was supposed to be a lagg or something like that which no isp ever implemented. The modem itself is solid, but it still commands a lot more than it should used so not something I look for in terms of value.

Interesting that you had an amplifier. Back in the day when I had 3x modems (yes, 3 separate modems), the isp had to add an amplifier to get enough signal to all 3. They went into an rv016 multiwan router to get me 24/768k back when 8/256k was the absolute fastest plan out there and I needed more upload bandwidth. I'm surprised the isp didn't install an amp vs you having to do it.
I literally could not get gigabit Ethernet with my 6190. They refused to activate it because it wasn't docsis 3.1

Furthermore...

In order for the ISP to do anything for me they wanted me to use their equipment first and fuck. That.

Basically, because I supplied my own equipment the fault was obviously 100% the fault of my equipment and not the building itself. Luckily installing the amplifier and MOCA filter took just a bit of research and an afternoon. I did have to cut a small hole in a wall but that's fine, it's also where I'm sending power to an external camera now so it all worked out.

I run an Asus AImesh network with a pihole and a silly number of IoT devices and there's no way in hell am I gonna replace that for whatever garbage comcast modem they wanted me to use.

If I didn't go with Comcast my only other possible competitor out here is a local, super slow, super shitty wirless provider that's like $90 a month for 100mbit and ridiculous lag. Nooooope.

Last edited:
I literally could not get gigabit Ethernet with my 6190. They refused to activate it because it wasn't docsis 3.1

Furthermore...

In order for the ISP to do anything for me they wanted me to use their equipment first and fuck. That.

Basically, because I supplied my own equipment the fault was obviously 100% the fault of my equipment and not the building itself. Luckily installing the amplifier and MOCA filter took just a bit of research and an afternoon. I did have to cut a small hole in a wall but that's fine, it's also where I'm sending power to an external camera now so it all worked out.

I run an Asus AImesh network with a pihole and a silly number of IoT devices and there's no way in hell am I gonna replace that for whatever garbage comcast modem they wanted me to use.

If I didn't go with Comcast my only other possible competitor out here is a local, super slow, super shitty wirless provider that's like $90 a month for 100mbit and ridiculous lag. Nooooope.
Yeah, isps can pretty much demand anything they want these days and you can't argue with them. I remember when the 'it has to be docsis 2.0' demand came out and modems were swapped out 'because isp said so' benefitting the isp and not the consumer, which is generally what most of these directives do like 'use our modem'. I hope they never change anything on you and leave you alone to enjoy what you have.

With a detailed setup like yours no way a gateway would have done it for sure. I hate being in precarious situations like these with a single good isp that if they decide to change something can wreck an otherwise working solution.

And all of those issues could have been directly related to a marginal signal. Again, it's still a modem, maybe one that needed a better signal but that's about it. Plus, the errors can also be on the isp end. I see errors on both of mine at different times depending on what is going on at the isp--not a modem issue, a signal issue.

I can't believe you spent $200 on it--that's almost double what I paid for mine new. :eek: If there were truly issues with the modem then even though my sample size is only 2, with the amount of other variables--different isps, states, temps, cabling, one of them should have been at least different than the other. But they aren't. They just work. It's great that people hate them so people that know they work can pick them up cheap.

You keep saying it is a marginal signal, but I had no problems with this supposed marginal signal with the previous modem and the replacement modem. I also did not have problems with massive errors on both other modems, one from the same company and one from a different company. I didnt have a small amount of errors either, I had 100k errors in weeks. I also had comcast come out and check my lines, and they couldnt find anything wrong with them both in house and to the street. They did push a new firmware to my modem after that, but it really didnt make a difference.

Ive had cable for over 20 years going back to my first SB 4200 modem in the early 2000s, and never had any of the problems I did with this modem. I dont understand how you can just say these are great with no issues, and all the people complaining about it are wrong. That seems very strange to me.

You keep saying it is a marginal signal, but I had no problems with this supposed marginal signal with the previous modem and the replacement modem. I also did not have problems with massive errors on both other modems, one from the same company and one from a different company. I didnt have a small amount of errors either, I had 100k errors in weeks. I also had comcast come out and check my lines, and they couldnt find anything wrong with them both in house and to the street. They did push a new firmware to my modem after that, but it really didnt make a difference.

Ive had cable for over 20 years going back to my first SB 4200 modem in the early 2000s, and never had any of the problems I did with this modem. I dont understand how you can just say these are great with no issues, and all the people complaining about it are wrong. That seems very strange to me.
Because at the end of the day they're still doing modem duties. And those techs checking signal and whatnot half the time don't even do their job. I've had to call people out multiple times to fix signal issues even on their own modems. Bottom line is that there are a lot of variables that go into all this and a modem is just one of them. I think for every one person that has a problem there must be at least 1000+ that don't because brick and mortar retailers don't like customers coming back angry with something they bought that isn't working, especially if it's happening all the time with a particular item. You just pull all of them from the shelf, send them back to the distributor for a credit and then use the funds to purchase stuff people will buy and not return.

I've had cable since the very first cable modem made by motorola many, many years before the docsis standard even existed. And I've seen all sorts of modems from motorola, 3com, scientific atlanta, cisco, and arris (which pretty much are scientific atlanta, cisco, and motorola merged), and different modems like signals differently so in a particular setup one modem will be better than another. But that doesn't make a modem that doesn't work 'bad' all around or defective--especially when it works just fine for most.

And the reason I can say it is just fine because that's the experience I have. I use these for real-time communications that if I even have a lag in packets of 5ms, I feel it. It's very noticeable when I'm working. In fact, when things seem sluggish, I'll usually check my isp monitors and call the isp--sure enough, they'll have some sort of issue going on. Many times I'm the first to report it. One of the best tests out there is packetlosstest.com because it shows not only lost packets, but late ones. When these modems come up clean even at the 1080p setting, there's definitely no issue. And if they have a wholesale defect, there can't be just 2 modems working right--it has to be the other way around where most are working right.

And I know packet loss as I've even had to help an isp figure out a packet loss problem. It was a completely fibre company that had a gpon in our apartment complex. Well, there was this terrible 5-10% packet loss that I was able to figure out occurred only from 6pm to 4am. No one at the company could address it (call center wouldn't even acknowledge it), and the only way it did get addressed was when someone from the company was working on the fibre and I told him about the issue and he let me email him my data. Crickets for a year until I see him again in the building while they're doing a huge upgrade and he said all of this upgrade was because of me--they discovered their backbone provider was cheating them after hours so they got a settlement and moved to a newer, faster provider.

You're not going to win anyone over. It's like Intel NIC's (which are good) vs Realtek. Realtek might be fine for your given application, but Intel NIC's are better. And if they're an equivalent price, why wouldn't you buy Intel? This is [H]ardforum. We don't recommend garbage.

This is true of Broadcom based cable-modems. Hedge your bets on the winner.

I was given a Puma modem once for "free" by the cable company and gave it back a couple weeks later because I too had problems, although not as bad as some others. You random non-IT person probably wouldn't even notice. But why fight it when I don't have to? Got a Broadcom based modem and all is well.

I've had cable since the very first cable modem made by motorola many, many years before the docsis standard even existed. And I've seen all sorts of modems from motorola, 3com, scientific atlanta, cisco, and arris (which pretty much are scientific atlanta, cisco, and motorola merged), and different modems like signals differently so in a particular setup one modem will be better than another. But that doesn't make a modem that doesn't work 'bad' all around or defective--especially when it works just fine for most.
Good for you. I too had cable-modems with that first Motorola back in the mid 90's when TWC Roadrunner was in beta testing in Canton Ohio. In fact, I was one of the people who installed them in people's houses back then. Cutting age stuff for the time.

You're not going to win anyone over. It's like Intel NIC's (which are good) vs Realtek. Realtek might be fine for your given application, but Intel NIC's are better. And if they're an equivalent price, why wouldn't you buy Intel? This is [H]ardforum. We don't recommend garbage.

This is true of Broadcom based cable-modems. Hedge your bets on the winner.

I was given a Puma modem once for "free" by the cable company and gave it back a couple weeks later because I too had problems, although not as bad as some others. You random non-IT person probably wouldn't even notice. But why fight it when I don't have to? Got a Broadcom based modem and all is well.

Good for you. I too had cable-modems with that first Motorola back in the mid 90's when TWC Roadrunner was in beta testing in Canton Ohio. In fact, I was one of the people who installed them in people's houses back then. Cutting age stuff for the time.
And that's fine. People can do whatever they want. Bang for buck, the 6190 is serious value in the used market if one wants to save cash. Because that's also being HARD.

Broadcom also has its share of issues. So many people that jumped from the sb6190 to the netgear that was the only other 'approved' one out there got bit by its issues until they straightened that one out. Bottom line is that there is no 'THIS ONE IS THE BEST' for a modem because there's a lot of variables. If someone doesn't want to understand that then blame it on something that's probably not related, I guess that's up to them.

Yes it was. Those modems got pretty hot too. I can't remember who the isp was anymore. Too many years have passed. But I still remember what it looked like:
gsmarena_008.jpg

If modem isnt puma modem and has no issues = signal related
If modem is puma and has issues = signal related
if modem is puma and has no issues but the other non puma modems have issues = normal and you should get a puma modem cause they work fine obviously.
--Literally the only person advocating using these awful devices.

:rolleyes:

If modem isnt puma modem and has no issues = signal related
If modem is puma and has issues = signal related
if modem is puma and has no issues but the other non puma modems have issues = normal and you should get a puma modem cause they work fine obviously.
--Literally the only person advocating using these awful devices.

:rolleyes:
Whatever Das Haus. I've got no beef with them because they work and you're welcome to continue the myth--cheaper goods for those that want them.

You don't get a class action lawsuit filed against you when your chipset is "perfectly fine".
I'm so glad you haven't had issues with your -checks notes- whopping TWO units. Amazing sample size and methodology to test them. You should register as an expert witness on Intel's behalf. You're already shilling enough for them, might as well make a buck or two while you're at it.

No, not all Puma chipsets are "bad". They had enough bad ones to get multiple lawsuits filed, including the class action. Get over yourself and your superiority - lots of people had legitimate issues with them, and your pitiful two units aren't anywhere near enough to be anything beyond a very basic anecdote.

As for actually replying to the OP and being helpful...
I'd suggest sticking with DOCSIS 3.1 as a start, especially if you're doing >1Gbps down. Before Mr. PumaChamp gets in a tizzy, yes, DOCSIS3.0 can also do >1Gbps in theory, but, it's just a better idea to get DOCSIS3.1, especially if you end up on much greater upload. 3.1 also gets you Active Queue Management (not a thing you can config or anything on your own, but, a benefit).
Beyond that, it depends on your speed and your ISP. There's not a whole lot more you can look at from just a modem as a consumer. 32 x 8 streams, which is the only choice in 3.1. Otherwise, just make sure it's on your ISP's approved list.

Whatever Das Haus. I've got no beef with them because they work and you're welcome to continue the myth--cheaper goods for those that want them.
You can lead horse to water but you drown him trying to get him to not drink the kool aid.

This reminds me of the days when people would recommend Cyrix processors to save a buck. Or VIA chipsets.
its more like actively recommending nForce chipsets that are known to fail then acting like its a myth because you have two nforce boards that work. And if you run into someone having issues then it gets dismissed and stated that it has a hardware compatibility issue.

its more like actively recommending nForce chipsets that are known to fail then acting like its a myth because you have two nforce boards that work. And if you run into someone having issues then it gets dismissed and stated that it has a hardware compatibility issue.

Suprisingly I have 2 Nforce 3 boards that have all those terrible issues that still work fine, but at least I still know they are a POS.

You don't get a class action lawsuit filed against you when your chipset is "perfectly fine".
I'm so glad you haven't had issues with your -checks notes- whopping TWO units. Amazing sample size and methodology to test them. You should register as an expert witness on Intel's behalf. You're already shilling enough for them, might as well make a buck or two while you're at it.

No, not all Puma chipsets are "bad". They had enough bad ones to get multiple lawsuits filed, including the class action. Get over yourself and your superiority - lots of people had legitimate issues with them, and your pitiful two units aren't anywhere near enough to be anything beyond a very basic anecdote.

As for actually replying to the OP and being helpful...
I'd suggest sticking with DOCSIS 3.1 as a start, especially if you're doing >1Gbps down. Before Mr. PumaChamp gets in a tizzy, yes, DOCSIS3.0 can also do >1Gbps in theory, but, it's just a better idea to get DOCSIS3.1, especially if you end up on much greater upload. 3.1 also gets you Active Queue Management (not a thing you can config or anything on your own, but, a benefit).
Beyond that, it depends on your speed and your ISP. There's not a whole lot more you can look at from just a modem as a consumer. 32 x 8 streams, which is the only choice in 3.1. Otherwise, just make sure it's on your ISP's approved list.
Anyone can file a class action lawsuit if you have enough money. Think whatever you like and don't get them if that offends you, but don't lead others astray with your parroting of internet hearsay. If you don't know you, you obviously don't know.

The isp approved list is all that matters--really nothing else.

You can lead horse to water but you drown him trying to get him to not drink the kool aid.
Eveyrone else is basically drinking the coolaid just parroting what they're read online. I've actually done enough testing to debunk what most people are falsely calling an issue.

This reminds me of the days when people would recommend Cyrix processors to save a buck. Or VIA chipsets.
And neither of those were necessarily bad (I have both in various systems). But it's also a different animal since there were some engineering differences in both of those that did cause genuine issues. As far as the sb6190, it's just a bunch of people doing something wrong imo. Arris wouldn't have made just 2x good modems and I got the only ones.

The isp approved list is all that matters--really nothing else.
This ... Also, XYZ in disguise, I'm pretty sure it was pointed but be aware your ISP will update and bounce the bridge at their leisure whether it is yours or theirs. They own the network and manage anything attached directly to it. Purchasing your own device will not change that at all.

As far as the sb6190, it's just a bunch of people doing something wrong imo.
It's a modem. You input power and coax, and it spits out ethernet. There's not really much to "do wrong" on consumer modems. If it's so flakey that it needs special handling and can't handle small drift in signal or attenuation, then, it's not something I'd suggest folks go out and purchase, since it's a sensitive snowflake that could very well have problems.

Back