What to install or not to install on a SSD?

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
What are some of the better programs to install on a SSD. I got my new parts today, and I want to get the most out of the 128G SSD. Iv read about some of the limitations of SSD so I dont want to install just anything on there that takes up space, got an extra standard drive for that. But I want what ever installed on there to get the best use out of it. So what are the recommended programs to install on a SSD that take advantage of it?

The operating system obviously, favorite games, commonly used applications... any software you use often that would benefit you by loading more quickly.

Depends on if you use the comp mainly for office work, gaming, video editing, etc.

Obviously, Windows goes on the SSD. Browser, chat/video chat services, media playback software, etc.

After that, if you do a lot of office work, then your MS Office suite, any professional software, etc.

For editing, your photoshop, CAD, whatever.

For gaming, the best ones to put on are MMOs and any games with long level loading times (MW3, BF3, Skyrim, etc). Doesn't make as much difference for games with limited maps or little load time.

For me.... Apps and OS on SSD. Everything else, such as music, pics, video files, etc., goes on less expensive mechanical drives.

This will be a work/gaming machine. My work programs dont take up a lot but I was backing up some of my game files last night and I have like 30 gigs of CSS maps and crap. Dont want to waste that on the SSD.

If you can, have the core files for CSS on the SSD, and keep the maps on an HDD. Not sure if CSS gives you an option of where to store the files, but should be able to link it.

If you can, have the core files for CSS on the SSD, and keep the maps on an HDD. Not sure if CSS gives you an option of where to store the files, but should be able to link it.

That would be great, just not sure how to do that

Hmm i'm sure google will turn up something =D. Even if CSS/steam (I'm assuming your using steam for it) doesn't support that natively, I'm sure you can find some software that basically links two folders, so when any application tries to access a folder it's redirected to the second one. Don't take my word on this though, I'm just hypothesizing lol.

Back