What to get? 20 pin/ 24 + 6 pin PS future proof

OPUS1

[H]ard|Gawd
I know what brand, I just don't know what setup to allow for my future upgrade (MB, processor and all) as soon as the dust settles
I read that you can use a 24 pin on a 20pin MB
Should it be plus 6 plus 4 connector or what?
AGH..... maybe I'll just wait :confused:

future proofing is tough right now
if you end up switching to a BTX form factor
depending on the case and form factor the Power Supply itself wont fit
even if it is 24pin

the current or next ATX mobo could be anything from 20 to 24 pin power connector, with a dedicated 4 pin aux or a standard 4 pin molex onboard

basically Id say get a 24 pin w\ 4 pin aux, and make sure you can use it

if your heading toward the workstation end of the pool however its easier,
just get an EPS12V

the 6 threw me though, an EPS12V has an 8 pin auxillary
the ATX12V has a 4 pin auxillary
the only 6 pin I know of is for AGP Pro

Im working on a FAQ so this is just an excerpt, and is already in another thread
when comparing versions of a form factor, there is a revision histroy which is helpful in the subsequent editions, I'll be pulling the relavent info out of these and round out the FAQ in the next several days

Organizations

SSI = Server System Infrastructure, an Intel spec, which, among other things, defines the "EPS" "enhanced" ATX specification

FormFactors.org

ATX

ATX = 20 pin plug, your Pentium III's ATX connector and PS

ATX12V v1.1 = 20 pin atx connector + 4-pin plug for "Additional 12V" (same pdf as above)

ATX12V v2.0 = 24 pin atx connector + 4-pin plug for "Additional 12V"

ATX12V v2.2 = 24 pin atx connector + 4-pin plug for Aux +12V to support PCI Express

SSI Compliant PSUs (Server \ Workstation, often dual CPU)

ATXGES Predates the EPS SSI Standard and is I think limited to just the Tyan Thunder K7X (S2468GN, S2468UGN) and Thunder K7 (S2462UNG, S2462NG) and uses a propretary 24 pin connector that isnt comptible with the EPS SSI Standard, but there are adapters

EPS12V v1.6 = Power supply with 24-pin EPS12V connector, plus one 8-pin additional 12v connector

EPS12V v2.1 = Power supply with 24-pin EPS12V connector, plus one 8-pin additional 12v connector
added higher power levels for 650 watt PSUs and updated 12v peak requirements for 450 & 550 watt PSUs

EPS1U v2.1 = Power supply with 24-pin EPS12V connector, plus one 8-pin additional 12v connector fitting into a 1U height

EPS2U v2.1 = Power supply with 24-pin EPS12V connector, plus one 8-pin additional 12v connector fitting into a 2U height

ERP2U v2.0 = Redundant Power Supply with 24-pin EPS12V connector, plus one 8-pin additional 12v connector fitting into a 2U height

TPS v1.o Thin Low Profile PSU employs a slot and fingers like a card rather than pins

MPS v1.2 Midrange Power Supply, employs a direct connect scheme

DPS v2.0 Distributed Power Systems employs a direct connect scheme

BTX PSU Form Factors

Balanced Technology Extended Interface Specifications v 1.0a Describes basic 24 pin main power connector and Aux +12V 4 pin connector

CFX12V v1.0 = 24 pin + Aux 4 pin +12V Power connector Compact Form Factor with 12V connector

LFX12V v1.0 = Low Profile Form Factor with 12 Volt Connector

Special PSU Form Factors

TFX12V v1.2 = 20 pin connector Thin Form Factor with 12V Connector

TFX12V v2.0 = 24 pin connector Thin Form Factor with 12V Connector

SFX12V v2.3 = 20 pin connector Small Form Factor with 12V Connector

SFX12V v3.0 = 24 pin connector Small Form Factor with 12V Connector

"Updates for these design guides include an increased +12 VDC output capability to support system components that are continuing to increase in power, minimum efficiency for both standby and active modes of operation, details on an optional S-ATA power connector to support devices such as S-ATA drives, and acoustic guidance to support low noise systems. PS3 mechanical guidance has also been introduced into the SFX12V Power Supply Design Guide."
-Intels Desktop Form Factors for ATX12V, SFX12V and TFX12V PSU Design Guides

AGHHH....... bring back the old days when there were just 2 types of hardware,
The one I wanted and the one I could afford :eek:

for the love of god, BTX is an OEM thing... your not going to go out and buy a BTX board, i think i can safely say EVER

there was the same commotion when WTX came out, and just the OEM's did it for a while...

BTX is no good for a gaming machine or servers, trust me its not going to be a big deal

So, my idea of future proofing is to ask PCP&C to build me a PS that's both ATX 2.2 and 1.1 compliant?

Never mind. Ordered a TurboCool 510 ID with a 24 pin to 20 pin adapter. That will be fine. I opted out of making it a Deluxe unit because it didnt seem worth it to spend $50 on a black case and sleeving.

Back