What to expect from new AMD and Nvidia cards

Lucky75

Limp Gawd
Hello Guys,
whot do you think ? Which card should be better for the price and performance perspective ?

I think next Titan Ampere should be great but very expensive.

Also RX 6900X should be great card for everything.

We have no idea.
AMD has been very quiet, no leaks at all except some information from next gen cosoles (that have been rather quiet too).
Nvidia rumors are all over the place. From +10% over 2080Ti to +70%. Latest benchmark of A100 ampere show about 40% improvement, which some claim means 3080Ti will be 30% over 2080Ti.
There's absolutely no reliable info to go on.

Prediction:

AMD will have subpar DXR performance compared to NVIDIA (like with tesselation) so prepare for a lot of "Too much DXR" whine.
DLSS will make AMD try and push FFX (which has less image quality) as an "solution"....gone are the days of raw rasterized performance.

There's no way in fuck that any of them are more than 50% faster than the 2080ti in traditional workloads. Maybe RTX crap specifically but for legacy graphics, no way. I would lower your expectations. I'm expecting between 15% and 25% over the 2080ti. It's always shittier than you think it's going to be.

So much more expensive and more worst performance ;-) If they do not support SLI and Crossfire only 1 top card for a lot of money should be used which is disapint.

I prepared my best Water Cooling for next GPUs and now it is pointless.

Nvidia will launch cards that will have performance per dollar close to or the same as the current crop of cards, which means cards faster than 2080Tis will cost significantly more.

AMD will launch a few well meaning but ultimately pointless and uncompetitive cards plagued with issues.

Nvidia will launch cards that will have performance per dollar close to or the same as the current crop of cards, which means cards faster than 2080Tis will cost significantly more.

That's an extremely unrealistic expectation and I can bet you everything I own that will not happen.

I expect Nvidia to crush it with ray tracing improvements, with reasonable raster performance, but for the current price gouge rates.

I expect AMD to shake things up with huge gains over their old cards, and maybe some competition on price. Still unsure where the ray tracing will land.

Prediction:

AMD will have subpar DXR performance compared to NVIDIA (like with tesselation) so prepare for a lot of "Too much DXR" whine.
DLSS will make AMD try and push FFX (which has less image quality) as an "solution"....gone are the days of raw rasterized performance.

Your only pushing that stance because your afraid that AMD might have more rasterization performance then Nvidia this upcoming round. The days of raw performance are never gone.

Your only pushing that stance because your afraid that AMD might have more rasterization performance then Nvidia this upcoming round. The days of raw performance are never gone.
Raw performance will certainly always have its place.

Question is, will it be as important moving forward as it used to be?
Optimization and AI driven solutions will play in more and more for regular gamers. Especially low/mid range gamers.
Raw performance will matter for benchmarkers and competition pro's (for now).

In the end, Most people will not give a fuck why their game runs at 144fps 1440p with great visuals.
As long as it does is all that matters.

AMD might even have the raster performance crown for a moment. I don't doubt it. Ray tracing, though, I don't know. It will be their first gen versus Nvidia second-gen. So this might not be a win.

Also, DLSS is a big deal. That alone could be a differentiating factor, even given price and performance parity from AMD.

Assuming AMD doesn't have a competitive solution, they could still gain some customers due to raster performance working in literally every PC game to date, not the couple with ray tracing and DLSS.

So we'll have to see.

AMD might even have the raster performance crown for a moment. I don't doubt it. Ray tracing, though, I don't know. It will be their first gen versus Nvidia second-gen. So this might not be a win.

Also, DLSS is a big deal. That alone could be a differentiating factor, even given price and performance parity from AMD.

Assuming AMD doesn't have a competitive solution, they could still gain some customers due to raster performance working in literally every PC game to date, not the couple with ray tracing and DLSS.

So we'll have to see.
If AMD has a ridiculous raster performance advantage I would really have to rethink how much I want to play with raytracing this gen. I bought a 2080ti and was so underwhelmed I down graded to a 2080 just to play with it later.

I have a 4k/120hz Freesync monitor which is not supported by Nvidia for G-Sync.
I haven't had AMD since ATI days in late 90's, haha. I think it was 3D rage I had. Then I upgraded to Riva TNT 2. I mean, 20+ years of having Nvidia... damn, I should get some kind of a honorary customer prize.
But if they have same performance for cheaper (we're talking $200+ cheaper) then I might go for AMD. Or if their cards are 15+% faster in raster performance.
Otherwise I'll probably go for Nvidia for DLSS and RT. I won't be upgrading next gen because with video cards doubling in price, I have decided to upgrade every second gen.

Raw performance will certainly always have its place.

Question is, will it be as important moving forward as it used to be?
Optimization and AI driven solutions will play in more and more for regular gamers. Especially low/mid range gamers.
Raw performance will matter for benchmarkers and competition pro's (for now).

In the end, Most people will not give a fuck why their game runs at 144fps 1440p with great visuals.
As long as it does is all that matters.

That will always hinge on support from developers, also if it starts costing Nvidia higher end card sales then expect performance gain caps on DLSS. Raw performance will always be king for most, however if DLSS can be faster and has enough support then it may be enough for some for it to not matter. Also only the higher end gamers care about 144fps at 1440p, the majority are happy if their card hits 60fps at 1080p. Will have to see how it all shakes out when they release the new generation of cards.

Does anybody know if both AMD and NVIDIA GPU's will feature HDMI 2.1? Been stuck on HDMI 2.0 for years now and would like to see some 4K 120Hz goodness.

Does anybody know if both AMD and NVIDIA GPU's will feature HDMI 2.1? Been stuck on HDMI 2.0 for years now and would like to see some 4K 120Hz goodness.
No one knows for sure yet. However, nvidia came with HDMI 2.0 before amd by a full generation. Hopefully they both have HDMI 2.1 this time. As I plan on getting a 48cx from LG in the mid to near future, this is an important factor to me for 4k 120fps.

No one knows for sure yet. However, nvidia came with HDMI 2.0 before amd by a full generation. Hopefully they both have HDMI 2.1 this time. As I plan on getting a 48cx from LG in the mid to near future, this is an important factor to me for 4k 120fps.

I don't see why they wouldn't include it.

I'm going to pull some info out of my ass: apparently both GPUs will make all of our wildest dreams come true.
Two cards at the same time, man.
1596124145581.png

Such an unknown. Nvidia's power usage on the new cards says AMD is a threat and leaks of 3080 being well above a 2080ti shows that Nvidia is taking this round seriously unlike last gen where the world was their oyster.
How the new console come into play is an unknown. Will they make the new AMD cards shine because of dedicated programing? We will have to wait and see.
As a VR enthusiast I am anxious to see how this all plays out. Nvidia has traditionally been better optimized for VR as many great [H]ard articles have shown. But RDNA(2) is brand new so who knows.
Benches, benches and benches will be the rational mans deciding factor. Who ever gets me the the best fps in VR for a reasonable $ will get my money.

hmm.

the leaks seems to indicate that the 3080 have 10gb of ram.

then mayby 3080ti will have 12gb.

but the new consoles have doubled in ram size.

so if big navi has 16gb. would that be more future-proofing than DLSS? that would make it a tougher choice for me atleast.
this will indeed be an exciting launch - and i really just want a new card.. but i think i will wait for both launches before taking the decision.

and last generation i would not have considered an AMD at all
all that being said - i might just end up with an 3080 and call it a day.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
I'll hold off my purchase until day 1 reviews of AMDs cards are out. Price/performance over 2080ti level is going to be a major factor for me this round. Possibly even cause Nvidia to make a price adjustment.

We have no idea.
AMD has been very quiet, no leaks at all except some information from next gen cosoles (that have been rather quiet too).
Nvidia rumors are all over the place. From +10% over 2080Ti to +70%. Latest benchmark of A100 ampere show about 40% improvement, which some claim means 3080Ti will be 30% over 2080Ti.
There's absolutely no reliable info to go on.

I don't see the 2080Ti taking a hit in price and expect to pay 30% more as it's Nvidia and that's the benchmark they always lead in .

What I expect.... is better performing products than the last.
I think that's a fair assessment.
I never can understand guys fighting about who will crush whom.
Are you paid by either Nvidia or AMD?
Do they send you free hardware?
No?...Then pray that the competition is close enough to keep pricing from being artificially inflated beyond what is considered reasonable.
In the end, I don't have to have the outright fastest GPU.
I just need to have a fast GPU relative to costs.

What I expect.... is better performing products than the last.
I think that's a fair assessment.
Are you paid by either Nvidia or AMD?
Do they send you free hardware?
No?...Then pray that the competition is close enough to keep pricing from being artificially inflated beyond what is considered reasonable.
In the end, I don't have to have the outright fastest GPU.
I just need to have a fast GPU relative to costs.
Not anymore, but I used to get NDAs followed by hardware that wasn't even announced yet back when I used to do some 3d programmable shader work. They send me free hardware I would do some neat affects they could put into their demo's and development packages. But, even then, it was both green and red, so still no real preference. I just like good competition and to see how much you can do with what you have to work with.

Tribalism is a strong force for most humans. It's the nerd version of rooting for their favorite sports team. Does it make sense that people get into fights/brawls over sports teams? IOW Humans are often kind of irrational.

What to expect:

Closest race in ages. But that won't bring any kind of price war. For most of the range, there will be corresponding cards from both sides with similar price and similar performance. AMD will offer nearly insignificant improvement in price/performance, over the corresponding NVidia options.

So Perf/$ will only improve a bit. A bigger improvement near the high end, mediocre improvement in the midrange, and negligible improvement in the low range.

The only deviation from the essentially parity will be in the highest end.

AMD and NViida will each release a card that outperforms the 2080Ti, and it will be priced similarly ($800+). This will be the RTX 3080, AMD 6900 or similar name. AMD might be ahead here as this will be their top part.

But NVidia will have a gonzo top end card above that, which will make no sense to most people, pushing up the top price once again with it's 3090/Titan or whatever they call it, starting at $1200-$1500... NVidia will "keep the crown" with a card that even less people buy than the previous generation top end, which fewer people bought, than the previous generation.

Tribalism is a strong force for most humans. It's the nerd version of rooting for their favorite sports team. Does it make sense that people get into fights/brawls over sports teams? IOW Humans are often kind of irrational.

What to expect:

Closest race in ages. But that won't bring any kind of price war. For most of the range, there will be corresponding cards from both sides with similar price and similar performance. AMD will offer nearly insignificant improvement in price/performance, over the corresponding NVidia options.

So Perf/$ will only improve a bit. A bigger improvement near the high end, mediocre improvement in the midrange, and negligible improvement in the low range.

AMD and NViida will each release a card that outperforms the 2080Ti, and it will be priced similarly ($800+). This will be the RTX 3080, AMD 6900 or similar name. AMD might be ahead here as this will be their top part.

But NVidia will have a gonzo top end card above that, which will make no sense to most people, pushing up the top price once again with it's 3090/Titan or whatever they call it, starting at $1200-$1500... NVidia will "keep the crown" with a card that even less people buy than the previous generation top end, which fewer people bought, than the previous generation.
This is about my expectations as well, either way I hope at least AMD can slowly chip away at the performance lead. Seems Rdna brought them much closer to parity on performance per transistor (compared to Vega). So hopefully rdna2 closes that gap a bit more. Then it'll just be about who wants to put more transistors on a single die, so far it looks like Nvidia hasn't been as why doing so. The other unknowns are rt performance and dlss improvements and/or competition.

What to expect:

people think that titan/ti cards are a really small niche market

but historically they have been good sellers for nvidia

the very first Titan was a huge hit, Jensen has assured more than once in different titan generations that they sold every Titan they made.

people are wiling to spend top dollar for top performance.

for many people watching Terry Crews and now Henry Cavil build top end rigs, makes them want one

people think that titan/ti cards are a really small niche market

but historically they have been good sellers for nvidia

When they were $600-$700, sure, but at $1200, I am betting it's a fraction. 1080 Ti was pretty much universally loved and praised, and sold in huge numbers. 2080 Ti, not so much.

and the 5700xt is below the RTX 2080ti, so your point is?
The point being the 2080 Ti is not a hot seller in terms of volume (though maybe Nvidia makes up for that in margin).

Bringing up the 5700 XT is neither here nor there, and not relevant to the point I was making.

Back