What To Expect From Microsoft's Next Windows 10 Event

HardOCP News

[H] News
If I was to guess, I would say Microsoft's Windows 10 event will be a lot of talk about Windows 10...and stuff. ;)

We're going to get a much closer look at Windows 10 at 9AM PT/12PM ET tomorrow (which we'll be liveblogging, naturally), and all the usual suspects will be on hand to wax poetic about Windows' next steps: There's CEO Satya Nadella, of course, along with Windows chief Terry Myerson, mobile impresario Joe Belfiore and Xbox czar Phil Spencer. Let's take a moment to look at what we know -- and what we expect -- Microsoft will show off in Redmond very soon.

"As far as Microsoft is concerned, the future of the desktop is inescapably intertwined with that of the smartphone in your pocket"

what does a company do when they know they own most of the market share...what ever they want. MY understanding of this is we aren't going to see much change from windows 8.1 to 10, other than a simple desktop. the question is will most of the enterprise world run off and change I personally don't think that will happen, again getting around 10 sucks, though on the positive side of this, those that think they are IT people and think they can fix their own junk will just give up, so in a way I'm torn on this.

It sure seems like they are black-boxing the Windows 10 O/S. Is the command-line still available? I wonder.

They should just offer it as a lower cost OS they would sell more more people would covert to that Widows 7 that got off Pirate bay for free.

As far as Microsoft is concerned, the future of the desktop is inescapably intertwined with that of the smartphone in your pocket -- a vision that's been talked up in a big way since the introduction of the Universal app concept at the company's Build developer conference early last year. Microsoft's end goal? To create a single, unified app store that desktop, mobile and even Xbox users can tap into without forcing developers to craft code for each disparate platform.
Isn't that what Microsoft in trouble with Windows 8? Cause they were forcing a Tablet OS on to the desktop? Stay away from my pocket Microsoft, I have no intention of moving away from Android. Unless it's Ubuntu phone. Now if you'll excuse me I think there's a new ROM for my phone with new free things. I do love free things. :)

Xbox head honcho Spencer will be there, too. Within the past few weeks, Spencer has said that Microsoft is gearing up to show off the "best operating system we've ever created for gamers"
Either...

A. Xbox One games work on Windows.
B. Blah Blah we still support the PC master race, except not really. Buy Xbox One.

News Flash: There is nothing that will occur in the next 6 years that will revolutionize operating systems yes I speak of all operating systems.

So until then, its refinement and testing and tweaking UI's.

The ability to target multiple platforms simultaneously is going to be a part of this. How it actually materialize is another matter.

Considering that Xbox One works on x86 hardware, I don't see why games at this point aren't cross platform. Except to get people to buy a Xbox One.

Microsoft wants people to be comfortable with using PC + Xbone + Phone. The only thing Microsoft has that's worth a damn is Xbox, and yet they don't bring it to other platforms. But that MS Office is practically everywhere. Wouldn't be surprised if it'll find its way to Xbox. Yet Libre Office works on a toaster.

The reason they're afraid to touch PC gaming is because that means Xbox market would have to compete with Steam, Origin, GoG, and etc. They will continue to keep Xbox games on Xbox One.

So if they added a Start Button Menu but mess it up by having a subscription it's going to Backfire.
I read somewhere you can have either a Sub or buy the entire thing like with the new Office that would be cool. People would care less about Windows 10 if they can't even own it on it has a Start Menu we didn't mess up this time.

"As far as Microsoft is concerned, the future of the desktop is inescapably intertwined with that of the smartphone in your pocket"

I like how that idea failed for both Windows Phone and Windows 8, however they still want to keep pushing it.

For ONE YEAR. It's a fucking subscription.

What a fucking joke.

And you clearly don't understand what they're saying. The upgrade is free within the first year. If you're a lazy ass and don't upgrade in that first year, it'll cost you.

They're not saying that you get a year free, then have to pay a subscription after.

And you clearly don't understand what they're saying. The upgrade is free within the first year. If you're a lazy ass and don't upgrade in that first year, it'll cost you.

They're not saying that you get a year free, then have to pay a subscription after.

I genuinely hope you're correct. I think they may have left it this open ended just so they could gauge how much back lash they'd get.

But "One year free" and the Forza Streaming running on "Windows 10 Demo" doesn't sound good.

I genuinely hope you're correct. I think they may have left it this open ended just so they could gauge how much back lash they'd get.

But "One year free" and the Forza Streaming running on "Windows 10 Demo" doesn't sound good.

This seems correct to me. I've read many articles, and aside from commenters claiming they know what MS meant, there isn't any solid evidence they are correct. I think MS left people wondering on this one for this very reason. They are either planning a subscription model in the distant future, or going full out free. One or the other in my opinion. I don't think they will keep a model similar to what they have now for too much longer.

This seems correct to me. I've read many articles, and aside from commenters claiming they know what MS meant, there isn't any solid evidence they are correct. I think MS left people wondering on this one for this very reason. They are either planning a subscription model in the distant future, or going full out free. One or the other in my opinion. I don't think they will keep a model similar to what they have now for too much longer.

This is verbatim how Terry Myerson started the free announcement:

"... So I'm very excited to announce that for the first year after Windows 10 is available we'll be making available a free upgrade to Windows 10..."

Then he went on to specifically mention that Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 7 users were eligible for the offer. Nothing ambiguous about this statement.

Back