What to do with XB360

Lamont

Supreme [H]ardness
A while ago I posted a thread and I got all I wanted out of the system. The games I didn't finish (including arcade) I cleared. Even the bad ones...

So what can I do with this system? I was going to toss it on the curb and let someone take it for free. But if there is a possibility of running emulators, I am open to the possibility.

Thanks.

If it isn't an older software version, trash. The original Xbox was better for emulators, at least in my opinion. I gave mine away to some guy a few years ago. Trash otherwise.

Sell it for some cash. They still have value since there are a lot of games that are not backward compatible on the newer consoles. I see them selling in my area for around USD $200.

I see them selling in my area for around USD $200.
Do you live in Brazil?

I found one on ebay for $20. Although it has the odd limitation of not being able to play certain kinds of music.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Give it the old .50BMG send off. That's what I would do. Here's how you do it:

Step 1: Acquire .50BMG Rifle. (Armalite AR-50A1 - $4,000, or Barrett M82A1 - $8,000+, or McMillan TAC-50 - $11,570) Your choice.
Step 2: Acquire really expensive glass for .50BMG rifle ($2,500 Nightforce is the minimum here.)
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit (Through the joys of putting .50BMG rounds into an XBOX 360 console.)

Same, but there are people out there who refuse to visit thrift stores. They're likely the same people that refuse to shop at Wal-Mart.

@op - sell it or gift it to a kid, let them discover older Xbox games
I refuse to go to thrift store and have no issues going to Walmart!

Same thing with dollar stores. I do t want to possibly be seen there by someone I know.

What's wrong with being seen at the thrift?
You could just tell people you're a reseller on the side replenishing inventory, or you just donated and wanted to see how the peasants shopped.

Though I've been thrifting solidly for just over 2 years now, (I sell on eBay since covid) and have only ran into 1 person I know.

I've found some really fantastic scores. My best one so far is Haunting Ground on the PS2 for $1. It's worth at least $200.

What's wrong with being seen at the thrift?
You could just tell people you're a reseller on the side replenishing inventory, or you just donated and wanted to see how the peasants shopped.

Though I've been thrifting solidly for just over 2 years now, (I sell on eBay since covid) and have only ran into 1 person I know.

I've found some really fantastic scores. My best one so far is Haunting Ground on the PS2 for $1. It's worth at least $200.
I am sure there are sti good find out there in those stores but they are fewer and farther away. People make a living flipping things from them. In honestly I don't want to take stuff from people who might actually need it.

I'm assuming people on this forum take care of their hardware. I wouldn't touch the console in that listing.
If was a local sale, probably not. Ebay? Well, still probably not because there are better values with accessories and power supply and games. But it would have to be a pristine and/or new unit and/or with a ton of accessories and games for me to want to spend $200, locally, or online.

Nothing wrong with going to thrift stores, lol. You can find some cool stuff in 'em.
You just have to be careful how long you spend in one. Shop too long and you absorb that special odor and then they won't let you leave because they think you're part of the merchandise.

I wouldn't buy anything below an S revision.

- Went through a release 20gb white in a year, then another 60gb white lasted about the same. (I really regret selling my Type E: The last revision..)

Give it the old .50BMG send off. That's what I would do. Here's how you do it:

Step 1: Acquire .50BMG Rifle. (Armalite AR-50A1 - $4,000, or Barrett M82A1 - $8,000+, or McMillan TAC-50 - $11,570) Your choice.
Step 2: Acquire really expensive glass for .50BMG rifle ($2,500 Nightforce is the minimum here.)
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit (Through the joys of putting .50BMG rounds into an XBOX 360 console.)
Tannerite is so much cheaper and fun

Tannerite. I mean sure it explodes, but so can a 50 cal.

Well, the key is to not use an overcharged or otherwise questionable ammunition (like SLAP rounds used in this case) and to use a .50BMG rifle that's better designed and better built. Hint, that's not that hard. Albeit, it is expensive to do so.

Not even sure it's entirely a cost thing. My impression was, and not entirely from the name of one of your suggested brands, is they're trying to make them as light as possible. Can't do that and support all possible rounds. But I'm no expert, not even a dilettante so I'm just guessing.

Not even sure it's entirely a cost thing. My impression was, and not entirely from the name of one of your suggested brands, is they're trying to make them as light as possible. Can't do that and support all possible rounds. But I'm no expert, not even a dilettante so I'm just guessing.

The Serbu RN-50 is made to be as cheap as possible and still be safe. Normally, it is. However, I don't think bolt-action designs would have failed quite as spectacularly.

That said, the rounds he was using are not intended to be fired from commercial rifles like the ones I mentioned in the first place. Typical .50BMG rounds generate no where near the pressure of those SLAP rounds.

It sounded like the manufacturer knew the maximum PSI that thing could handle and what it would have taken to blow the thing apart. And if just powder is used, it shouldn't be hard to figure out the maximum potential PSI generated if the external dimensions of the round where known. Seems like someone in the comments calculated that it wouldn't have added too much weight to just make the gun slap proof. But that sounds like armchair optimism.

Doesn't matter, the closest I'll prolly come to firing one of these beasts is having listened to my mf'ing neighbor do it for hours on end, that and playing Fallout NV.

It sounded like the manufacturer knew the maximum PSI that thing could handle and what it would have taken to blow the thing apart. And if just powder is used, it shouldn't be hard to figure out the maximum potential PSI generated if the external dimensions of the round where known. Seems like someone in the comments calculated that it wouldn't have added too much weight to just make the gun slap proof. But that sounds like armchair optimism.

Doesn't matter, the closest I'll prolly come to firing one of these beasts is having listened to my mf'ing neighbor do it for hours on end, that and playing Fallout NV.
According to Mark Serbu who designed the RN-50, the cartridge had to generate well in excess of 90,000 PSI in order to cause the RN-50's screw cap to fail the way it did.

I'm sure someone's done all the research, but it would be interesting to have a gun lathe and just make a bunch of copies of various beefiness and just see what happens. But uh, that kind of steel and that ammo gets pricey, fast. It's been a year or whatever since I watched that video, I can't remember if he said those rounds were $100 or $200 each.

I love this forum. Only here could I expect to see a thread inquiring about what to do with an old console can devolve into the intricacies of firing .50BMG rounds and dissing thrift store shoppers.

FWIW though, in my work community where everyone makes pretty good money (6 figures minimum), thrift store finds are a common conversation piece among us. I like to hit them up every few weeks at least for old console games and accessories too like the original Wii-Motes that are nearly impossible to find otherwise. But sometimes there are other random gems to find in them as well.

OP, if you're not interested in playing any games on it that aren't available through BC on current Xboxes, then I would just hold onto it still until it either appreciates in value as a classic console to make it worth selling, or give it to anyone who can or will put it to use.

At this point, I wouldn't sell it. Just hang onto it. It's reached that age where it's basically worth nothing, but it's also at that point where the older it gets the more valuable it will be over time for nostalgia purposes. So if you have the storage space, just store it and come back to it a decade from now.

Back