What to do with spare i7-3770 + GT640 system?

craigdt

[H]ard|Gawd
This is my old Dell XPS 8500, that has been replaced with a much faster system.

Don't need a HTPC, as I already have a setup for that.

I thought about joining a distributed computing (thing?), but unlike mining, what do I get out of it?

I had used the GT640 extensively back in the day for mining Bitcoin, but I think all I can do with the old card now is FantomCoin mining on Minergate.

Is the GT640 even better than a current gen integrated graphics?

Give it to a family member? It would break my heart to see it infested with viruses.

Sell it? Probably worth $50 total and I loved that machine... I'm a hoarder at heart.

What other things can I do with it?

It still is a decent PC. The past 2 complete PC's that I've moved on from that were in good condition I asked around to friends/family with kids in school or whatever if they needed a PC for school work.

If you can't think of anything contact me via PM. Perkins Observatory in central Ohio always needs PCs for its public demonstrations and outreach. Possibly we could work out a way to donate it (or you could find something near you that would be similar).

That would be a perfect PC for my niece. She is currently doing online courses for college to get her AA then later a Masters in graphic design. She is doing this on an old HP with a Athlon XP that was her family's old PC. The predicament is her having CP and being confined to a motorized wheelchair, that she still has another 6 years of insurance payments left to pay, on top of having to pay 2 full-time care givers. She uses Dragon dictation 90% of the time and both XP's (CPU & OS) get pummeled by the work she does.

Her mind is sharp but her body has failed her enough to make the $750 a month she gets from the state seem like a joke.
That PC would make an awesome gift for a girl in need.

craigdt, you don't get much out of DC except the satisfaction that you contributed towards science or humanitarian endeavors. We have a very strong team here that processes work for a lot of different sciences. Please re-consider using it for distributed computing and join us in the DC sub forums to get started.

craigdt, you don't get much out of DC except the satisfaction that you contributed towards science or humanitarian endeavors. We have a very strong team here that processes work for a lot of different sciences. Please re-consider using it for distributed computing and join us in the DC sub forums to get started.

I tried to help on one of the last sprints. Never sure that I got it set up right. I'd like to help though.

Whats the easiest way to join in?

I tried to help on one of the last sprints. Never sure that I got it set up right. I'd like to help though.

Whats the easiest way to join in?

Skillz is usually on discord to help with setup. I could help as well. There is also the #hardfolding IRC channel on freenode.

Then again, all the pertinent information is also in the DC subforum.

Yeah..we also have a slack channel. But stop in the sub forum and we will walk you through everything needed. We have a much larger challenge starting in a few days that makes the formula-boinc challenges look like chump change.

I would walk you through it here, but it would be OT or categorized wrong and then end up getting moved anyways.

Join the [H] DC team. Most all of us are more than willing to help.

Soon as I get home ill send you a PM detailing the steps to sign up for our latest race project.

Back