What to do with older 200GB IDE drives?

fibroptikl

Supreme [H]ardness
So a few years ago I built an 8 drive RAID 5 array using Western Digital WD200JB 200GB 8MB 7200RPM on a HighPoint RocketRaid 464.

Well I no longer use that RAID setup anymore, as the cost of drives came down and moved off of it.

I have had these 8 Western Digital WD200JB 200GB 8MB 7200RPM drives sitting around, doing abolustely nothing.

Any suggestions on what I can do with these drives? I've been thinking about what I should use these for, but I have no ideas.

You guys have any suggestions?

Just eBay them or sell them to friends/family if they need some storage. Make sure to wipe all the data beforehand with a couple of passes of zero-fill, Gutmann, and/or DoD 5220.22-M standards!

Or, you can just give them to me. I'll gladly take them off your hands. :D

put REALLY important stuff on them then dig a deep hole in the garden and put them there

Toss them in a cheap box with low power consumption and setup Windows Home Server on it.

Or send them to me, I'll pay you shipping and a little extra ;)

Stick them up on Craigslist for $40/OBO each, at least on my local CL, people pay way too much for things ;)

Or put them on ebay as a lot, I'm sure a business would pay a reasonable amount for them.

I actually am looking for a wd2000JB-00DUA0 to try to recover one that just crashed. You have any?

TIA

Offer them for sale in the Dristrubited Computed forum. I know people on there can put them to good use for Folding@Home!

toss them in external enclosures and give them to friends and family to emphasize the importance of backups

Back