What to do with old working monitors?

Spun Ducky

Gawd
I have 3 qh270 achieva shimian monitors that work along with the usual color uniformity issues etc that come with korean monitors. I got a 43" 4k screen about a year ago and no matter what I do trying to work them into setups even only using 2 of them in portrait with the 4k I find myself not really needing them.

The monitors aren't exactly easy to sell at this point from what I can tell online. I thought about giving them to my brother but then I will just get calls that games don't run as well because of the higher resolution.

So I am wondering what do you guys do with your old monitors that are fully functional when you upgrade to the setup that works best for you?

I would throw them on Craigslist or other similar sites. I've seen Korean monitors come and go around in my local area in California. Some cash is better than just rotting in the closet.

I actually use mine. Game launchers and friends lists go on one monitor, discord and some chat windows on another monitor, start menu and any folders I have open on one, music or a video on another, then the main screen which has whatever I'm doing open.

That's 5 right there just for my normal use. When I'm doing development I use all 8. The biggest advantage to more monitors is not having to minimize things. You can just look over at any information you need without losing your spot and you can switch between things more quickly because you know exactly where it is and don't have to shift things around.

The biggest problem with many monitors is desk space. If you're already using a 43" you probably don't have much room on the sides. A lot of people mount them above which is terrible for your neck and back. If you can mount the secondary row below it's much better, but you basically need a custom desk to do that.

C8RbcBx.jpg

I try and sell them.

I have these 2 just sitting on my entertainment rack right now since I upgraded one of my machines with a Dell 34" and moved the LG 34" to this desk.
Almost sold the HP to a friend when I sold her a low/mid end PC for her grandson for Xmas but the monitor was just a bit too much for what she wanted to spend.

hal-9000-dual-screen.jpg

A few years back I posted the left and right screens for sale to my facebook friends to sell locally, a couple of friends bought them from me shortly after,
desk black.jpg

I myself prefer the ultrawide screens since it's almost like having 2 screens with no bezel.
IMG_1699-cropped4.jpg

Last edited:
I donate my monitors to the local schools and use the fair market value for tax deduction. Usually I can deduct the same amount I would sell them for so it works out in the end.

A lot of good ideas guys. Thank you for the input. I think I will upgrade some family members and also give the extras to some of the local college students that are in need.

I'll use them for upgrades for my parents, but also slap on a roku/chromecast/etc and turn it into a 'smart' tv.

Still rocking one of the first batch. Till it kicks the bucket I won't get rid of it. You price it right anything will sell on Craigslist

Back