What to do with old 10/100 switches?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by RavinDJ, Oct 8, 2019.

1. RavinDJ

RavinDJ 2[H]4U

I have the following switches that are fully functional but collecting dust:

Dell PowerConnect 3248 (48 port 10/100 switch)
    3Com Switch 4400 3C17204 (48 port 10/100 switch)
    3Com SuperStack 3 Switch 4250T 3C17302 (48 port 10/100 switch)

I just connected them and they work fine. Are they worth the electricity that they're running on? I'd love to set up some sort of a home lab either tied in or separate from my home network.

I don't have a rack but I wouldn't mind buying a wall-mounted 6U or 8U or 10U or 12U rack.

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Donate them to a school or something

3. waderunner

waderunner [H]ard|Gawd

Something like this: https://worldcomputerexchange.org/ maybe, if you don't need a home lab.

Or some other overseas-oriented service organization. Older gear like yours is probably going to be of more interest in less developed areas / countries.

scobar and RavinDJ like this.
  4. RavinDJ

RavinDJ 2[H]4U

Thanks, guys! Will do.

5. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot 2[H]4U

If the Dell 3248 is fanless, it would be a good choice for a lab. And it looks to have 2 gig ports.

10/100 switches are also perfect for setting up a separate network for printers to live on. Keeping printers on a separate network avoids many of the security flaws printers seem to have. Or as mentioned donate the ones you don't keep.

6. robvas

robvas Gawd

Threw them away years ago...

/dev/null and scobar like this.
  7. ThreeDee

ThreeDee [H]ardForum Junkie

I'll give them to friends/family to use in their "network environments" .. ie .. network printer or just wire in more computers to hook up to their 1 port cable modem ..etc

8. daglesj

daglesj [H]ardness Supreme

I keep a couple around that can be handy stop gaps 'when you need something now' till the gigabit arrives a couple of days later.

I've not bought one in years but I 'inherit' them as you do.

9. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

E-waste them to an electronics dumpster (dont put computer gear in regular trash) seriously those things are beyond ancient now. Had loads of similar gear in the special dumpster at work even years ago. A $20 8 port gigabit can handle whatever "random casual networking" needs and uses less juice with no noise, fished some of those out of the same dumpster ;)