What to do with my copy of Server 2012?

Jaxon

n00b
Hi there,

Long time lurker. Recently acquired a copy of Server 2012 but I'm unsure what exactly I should be doing with it. NOW I REALIZE THAT SOUNDS CRAZY FROM SOMEONE WHO LURKS ON [H]...but I've never had a need for a server OS in the past.

My home currently consists of a WHS2011 machine, a desktop running W7Pro, wife's laptop on W7HP, and my MacBook Air, as well as a few iOS devices around the house. The WHS stores all my media (approx 11TB worth) as well as handle computer backups of the Windows machines.

I've been debating, and looking, at Synology NAS systems for easy media streaming (i.e. Plex) as well as having an FTP option and iTunes server. Not sure if this is a machine that will really provide me any significant improvement so I've yet to pull the trigger on a NAS.

So, anyone willing to provide some suggestions on what might be my best use for my copy of Server2012? I have an old box lying around with a Q6600(?) and 8GB RAM doing nothing right and I'm hoping that would be a sufficient box to run Server2012 should I find a use for it.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc would be appreciated!

You can make sweet love to it.

In all honesty Server 2012 is an overpowered over complicated piece of software for home usage. Unless you want MS cert.

Standard or Datacenter? Standard only allows 2 VMs while DC allows unlimited, so that would greatly affect what you're legally allowed to do.

You can make sweet love to it.

In all honesty Server 2012 is an overpowered over complicated piece of software for home usage. Unless you want MS cert.

Starting to realize that may be the case. Would like to get my MS Cert for sh!ts and giggles but not want to spend the $ right now.

Well with DC the answer is "pretty much anything you want as long as you can feed RAM to it", 8GB isn't a whole heck of a lot to work with though. Guess the next question would be what do you want to do? Do you want to run a domain at home? Do you want to switch from WHS to WS2012 drive pooling? Then theree's virtual desktops, remote apps, RADIUS, VPN, DNS, DHCP, certificate stores, IIS servers, WSUS, and all that's just included roles.

Is there any particular aspect of your home network you're looking to enhance?

Back