What to do with an old socket g34 4p server?

n64link

n00b
I built a G34 4p rig while back for F@H and had not kept up with the news that it would be useless for folding like a month after I finished it.

I'm trying to think of something to use it for but I can't really get a use for it. I don't really need or know what to do with my own server. And I don't really see much demand for such an old system in the used market anymore. Also it's kind of low end.
This is my thread form EOCF about the rig when I made it. I'm kinda just trying to think of a decent use don't really want to eBay it, as I've never sold on there. No idea what I could get for it, if anything, and can't even make a FS thread here yet to test waters.

Any thoughts?

Lots of people got burnt when F@H killed the bigadv program, including me - and just look at the [H] team now compared to 3 years ago - a shadow of its former self

Well, if you want to keep it you can either run it for BOINC or start F@H back up - granted for F@H its not the latest and greatest but it can still get some work done. If you want to go down the F@H route you could either upgrade the cpu's to ones that support avx and get some fairly decent points running the new A7 core or you could just drop a Maxwell/pascal based gpu into an available PCIe x16 slot and get more points for less power usage. IF you are doing that I would remove as many CPU's as possible.

Not sure what else you could use it for, maybe some light virtualisation or as a home server maybe.

...use it as a game server...you could probably do that in addition to using it for other tasks.
I guess the value in that depends on if you do any gaming, but you could happily use that as an rFactor 2 server (a car racing simulator) amongst other things...

I'm not sure. I really don't know how to or need a game server. I wouldn't mind crunching data with it but I've stopped folding at the moment due to saving money to buy a house, trying to keep my bills low. I wouldn't mind selling it but I can't eve post in the FS section yet and nobody at EOCF needs it. Any body know of work this thing could do that could make a small profit? I know it's too old to BC mine with.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I do appreciate it.

The folks in the crypto forum have been posting about Burst, which is a crypto used for distributed storage sharing. It seems like it's possible to mine with CPU using that.

Also, a guy at work has been talking about sia.tech, similar idea to Burst, and a crypto called Digibyte, which he says is still able to be CPU mined.

I don't know anything about those myself, just sharing what I've heard, but it sounds like all of those are marginally profitable.

Back