what to do with all my UIDE drives?

darw_n

[H]ard|Gawd
OK, so I had to get a new mobo, the P4C800-E DELUXE, and it seems like I can put 2 ide drives in there. I have 6 ide hard drives, and 2 optical drives.

are there converters out there? Or do I have to dump all my drives for sata?

what about those converters? I have one or 2 laying around from an abit board.

do those work?

and if they do, where do get those?

For the price difference I would take the PCI card over a converter. It's always best to keep things in their native environment if possible.

Sell some of the drives and get bigger ones. I can't imagine having a need or even wanting 6 HDDs in a home desktop PC.

Aww come on, that's not [H]ard djnes!

Anyways, I use a pair of abit serillel adapters for my two 250gb WDs and they work fine, they're a bit loose so I always check them after moving my PC for LANs and such but they still good pieces of hardware

djnes said:
Sell some of the drives and get bigger ones. I can't imagine having a need or even wanting 6 HDDs in a home desktop PC.

well I seriously disagree :p
more drives of any capacity makes alot of sense for any RAID5 array
since the storage efficiency increases with the stripe width

you pay the penalty with heat and power, but it can be worth it for redundancy
also factor in the more drives the less likely you are to loose a second one in the event one fails before you can rebuild the array
(all else being equal)

but Id agree outside of that

Ice Czar said:
well I seriously disagree :p
more drives of any capacity makes alot of sense for any RAID5 array
since the storage efficiency increases with the stripe width

you pay the penalty with heat and power, but it can be worth it for redundancy
also factor in the more drives the less likely you are to loose a second one in the event one fails before you can rebuild the array
(all else being equal)

but Id agree outside of that

I was going to post something about if that much space is needed, some of them should be offloaded to a second machine for redundancy (as a server), but it was late and my fingers were sore from typing.

ahh.. ye old "Ive got blisters on my finger tips" excuse :p

second only to the caffine deprivation dyslexia excuse :p

Back