What to do with a socket 1156 CPU?

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I'm a bit new to Intel stuff. I mainly did stuff with AMD, so I don't have a lot of recent experience with Intel stuff. I fix up old computers on the side and don't get a lot of newer stuff. I was wondering what I should do with a pair of socket 1156 i3 CPUs I picked up for $5 a piece. This computer store was having a garage sale and I picked up the two i3 processors out of a bunch of athlons, core duos, and p4's. It seems like 1156 must have came to a quick end since there is hardly anything out there for it.

I picked up a core i3-530 2.93 GHz cpu and a core i3-550 3.20 GHz cpu. I have a HP slimline case that needs a 1155 cpu, but I know those aren't compatible. I can either sell them or keep them if I run into a cheap motherboard. Finding a cheap motherboard doesn't seem very likely though.

This is probably old stuff to you guys, but you can still get some life out of it. If I get it cheap, I'll fix it up and throw it on craigslist. I just wonder if I'd be able to get any profit out of these processors.

It came out as a socket for lower-end chips, to compliment the higher-end socket 1366. The lower-end was still pretty well covered by legacy Socket 775 platforms at that time, and the high-end socket 1366 setups were cheap enough that most who wanted into that platform could, so 1156 did indeed fill a very small niche.

I am running a Clarkdale i5 on a Socket 1156 H55 motherboard in one of my home servers. It was one of the first 32nm chips released, and one of the most efficient (in terms of power consumption) setups available at the time.

Its not that old and I'd still think it's usefull.

I have upgraded from a E8400 core2duo cpu to a i5-750.

It's not the latest and greatest, but it's great for those on a budget.

Those i5 750s pretty much smoke any amd chip out even today's minus the fx 8 core chips. With that being said the i3's are only dual core and have a pretty junk igpu, and finding a board will be pretty hard for cheap anyway. Also if looking on ebay make sure to get the b3 or b2 revision boards as there was a massive recall on the first run of 1156 chipset boards. You might luck out ;)

Those i5 750s pretty much smoke any amd chip out even today's minus the fx 8 core chips. With that being said the i3's are only dual core and have a pretty junk igpu, and finding a board will be pretty hard for cheap anyway. Also if looking on ebay make sure to get the b3 or b2 revision boards as there was a massive recall on the first run of 1156 chipset boards. You might luck out ;)

That's good to know about the boards. I might use them if I can find a board for around $30. I don't want to throw a lot of money on one of these. I make do with what I find to make a working computer for people.

Well, that's an option I didn't notice. I would just need to get some ram.

That's tempting.

Back