What to do with 4 2.4ghz Xeon's

markland556

Limp Gawd
Well through my CCNA class at school im getting 4 Xeon 2.4ghz processors. My teacher got about 300+ for free so he is giving them all away to his students. We are not allowed to sell them so ill probably get some more from my friends who dont have money to build a new computer. I want to make a quad Xeon server. Im just kinda lost on what kind of motherboard i should be running. All ill be using this this for is a CS server and a local file server.

I would like to know what kind of motherboard and memory you guys would reccomend.

Quad socket, eh? I'd say go for a good Intel/Supermicro board, Tyan if they didn't manage to fuck up their quad Xeon boards too badly.

Oh yeah, and if you don't consider shooting some of those my way for shipping + some cash, lemme know in a PM :D

Don't you need Xeon MPs to go beyond dual processor?

*edit*
I'm fairly sure this is the case. With standard xeons best you can hope for in the p4 line is dual systems. Xeon Mp's are expensive.

umm... the sticker on the side of the box says supports dual processing only / 604-pin micro-PGA ??

Which means no quad socket board with those four processors unfortunately. You might be able to run a pair of them on the board though, but why waste that kind of money on a quad board if you don't have the processors.

Get a pair of boards, psu's, and a gig of ram for each, and set them up to fold. ;)

Citizen _insane said:
you should send a couple my way ;) (or you could probably trade them for some cool stuff)
Same here :) I could put them to good use too.

VoBoy said:
Same here :) I could put them to good use too.

Here! Here! I could use a pair as well :D

(Now how do you get a hold of 300 free Xeon's might I ask?)

Ha, since you can't "sell" them you could always give me some.

I'm looking to get a CSS server going.

Since you cannot sell them. You could donate me one. I will fold for humanity. Think how good you will feel giving me one, think of it as charity....

I've got an Intel 7505VB2 in need of a pair of CPUs. It'll fold beside the rest of my fleet should I accidentally end up with a pair :eek:

Are umm...trades out of the question? :eek: Perhaps um...overly generous compensation for shipping and handling?

pawstar said:
Here! Here! I could use a pair as well :D

(Now how do you get a hold of 300 free Xeon's might I ask?)

Yep, that's the real question. :)
Wow!

I wonder why the teacher chose not to ebay them. $30k easy money. :p

spectrumbx said:
Yep, that's the real question. :)
Wow!

I wonder why the teacher chose not to ebay them. $30k easy money. :p

He said they can't sell them.

It's disrespectful to turn around and sell something that was donated to you.

Except what good does 300+ Xeons do for you if you just donate them right to the students anyway? How does that benefit the school it was donated for? Would've made more sense to ebay them and use the money to benefit the school/class than to just turn around and give them to students who don't even need them. Don't you think? That'd be a sweet all around server though :)

Back