What to do with 2TB 970 NVMe. Replace OS Drive? Add New Drive?

ZDPhoenix

Gawd
I currently have a 5 year old 1 TB SSD for my OS drive. I got a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 2TB during Black Friday.

I'm wondering if I should replace my OS drive with the 2TB NVMe (cloning the drive), or if I should just add the drive for storage instead.

My current OS drive floats around 100 GB of free space.

Thanks in advance for any advice or wisdom you have to help me out!

Replace it and be happy till it’s nearly full and repeat 😉

what else do you have in that system?

Also depends on what the second M.2 slot is. Might be PCIe X2 or X4 V 2, which would cripple anything that's put in it.

Just add it as storage unless there are any other conflicts. Much easier than replacing OS drive.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
I would absolutely use the new SSD for the O/S. It's newer and faster and gives you the opportunity for an upgrade and clean install and will almost certainly give you faster performance. As for your current drive, use it as storage.

This is assuming you're on the H forums because you like to upgrade your tech. But if you don't enjoy this stuff, consider it work, and just want to be "practical", then you can just use it as storage as it's less effort.

I would absolutely use the new SSD for the O/S. It's newer and faster and gives you the opportunity for an upgrade and clean install and will almost certainly give you faster performance. As for your current drive, use it as storage.

This is assuming you're on the H forums because you like to upgrade your tech. But if you don't enjoy this stuff, consider it work, and just want to be "practical", then you can just use it as storage as it's less effort.

Absolutely what I did! No regrets!

Back