What to do with 12 Pentium 3's

RoBo

2[H]4U
Long story short I have recieved 12 old computers their specs are;
700-800mhz P3
256-378mb sdram
160gb Hard Drive
Integrated Graphics

Rather than just flogging them or giving them away I thought I could use a few of them for turning into a routers, a server, a active directory server and a DivX player. So I need a AGP 4/8x graphics card and couple sticks of 512mb RAM. The RAM is easy but Im stuck for the graphics. I tried searching the web for a low range one but realised they are PCI-E
(duh). Any advice/reccomendations or other uses for these computers? As usual any help will be greatly appriciated.

I have a Ti 4400 AGP sitting around doing nothing. If you wanna help a good cause and use some or all of those rigs to fold for Team 33, PM me and you can have it.

Thanks for the offer, but I live in England. :mad:

But yea actually I will use a few for folding. :D

I'm SURE you could find someone else to give it to who would use it for folding, but again thanks for the offer.

I thought I could use a few of them for turning into a routers, a server, a active directory server and a DivX player.

None of these needs anything fancier than the integrated graphics (well, I don't know about the DivX - even IG can do better than TV quality and more or less HDTV resolutions; I used PIII + IG to do 1280x1024 for years). Folding@home doesn't either. Being cheap, I wouldn't bother with upgrading the graphics.

Put half of em in for folding :D

I'd doubt you really need a video card - integrated graphics should work fine like other people have said.

But if you really need one, I'd recommend a GeForce MX4000 (available at NewEgg for $25.99)

Back