What to do, what to do?

batotman

2[H]4U
Got two computers in my mother's house. They want to be able to share the DSL and to do it as absolutely cheap as possible.

The two options I've thought about are: run cat 5 outside the house under the siding to the back of the house to the other computer. Going through the floor, ceiling, or wall is not an option as I already recommended that and they refused to do that.

Option two is a wireless network. I know they won't spend a nickel more than $100 though. My sister wants the DSL usage on her computer for homework and they want it for family use.

What do i do?

do you have an attic or crawl space??? If so, you could run the cable through one of those, and then up/down through the wall and put in a box... Nice, neat, and pretty cheap...

"Going through the floor, ceiling, or wall is not an option as I already recommended that and they refused to do that"

How about some details on the House? are the 2 PC's close to each other?

If so, Then head to Compusa, Bestbuy, Circuit city. There's wifi router/card combos going for reasonably cheap.

Well, I'll put it this way. Yess it'll work outside... How long before it degrades is an entirely different matter. And once it degrades, there is the possibility of fubaring the networking stuff on both ends

Tell them if they don't want to pay more than $100, then they can have CAT5 running throughout their house under rugs and stuff. Cheapest way possible, since they won't let you do it the proper way.

How exactly do you plan to get the cat 5 from inside the house to under the siding without going through a wall?

Back