What to do if someone files a claim

Status
Not open for further replies.

esCo_

Gawd
Ok so I sold a couple ssds to a person and he is having troubles installing windows 7. He is getting an error

Windows failed to start File:\Windows\system32\config\system Status: OxcOOOOOOF Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing,or corrupt.

And after checking many forums and trying to help this person properly install windows he decides to file a paypal dispute on me.

I for a fact know these drives were in working order before I sent them because they were running in my system. I must have spent at least 2 - 3 hours trying to help him install these drives on his laptop and I never got a response saying he tried any of my suggestions.. Only thing I have gotten from him is yes, it is a disk. And now he has filed a dispute against me for item not as described? How is it exactly that I didn't not describe the item correctly? It clearly shows on my for sale thread that I was selling 2x used OCZ Solid Series 1 120gs that were working..

Because this person can not install windows properly I am going to be punished?

I even told him to install them on another computer as a storage drive to show him the drives work and he never acknowledged that he tried it.

So what do I do from here?

Ok so I sold a couple ssds to a person and he is having troubles installing windows 7. He is getting an error

Windows failed to start File:\Windows\system32\config\system Status: OxcOOOOOOF Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing,or corrupt.

And after checking many forums and trying to help this person properly install windows he decides to file a paypal dispute on me.

I for a fact know these drives were in working order before I sent them because they were running in my system. I must have spent at least 2 - 3 hours trying to help him install these drives on his laptop and I never got a response saying he tried any of my suggestions.. Only thing I have gotten from him is yes, it is a disk. And now he has filed a dispute against me for item not as described? How is it exactly that I didn't not describe the item correctly? It clearly shows on my for sale thread that I was selling 2x used OCZ Solid Series 1 120gs that were working..

Because this person can not install windows properly I am going to be punished?

I even told him to install them on another computer as a storage drive to show him the drives work and he never acknowledged that he tried it.

So what do I do from here?

I think you should have him return the drives and then refund his money. If they don't work for him he's going to win the dispute. Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Not as described is difficult to prove unless it was purchased on eBay, and it does not even apply to this case...but as we all know,its a crap shoot with PayPal as to how it will be resolved.

AFAIK,PayPal is going to want him to provide a description of what he bought and a description of what he received....unless he can prove they are significantly different, the claim probably wont go anywhere.

Just reply to Paypal with whatever information they want, and hope for the best..that's all you can really do at this point .....

Personally, it sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing, but the easiest thing to do is just have him ship the drives back and refund his money.

I would have done that but he didnt even mentiond ot me in private messages about a return. He jumped the gun to paypal and disputed it and didnt even try to speak to me about a refund. All he said was he had an error while trying ot install windows which I talked him through and never said he tried any of my suggestions which I looked up on line and asked a tech buddy of mine. My tech buddy says this error is software based only and the drives wouldn't show up in bios or even say this if they were faulty. It would simply say no OS found or w.e please determine a boot method which is not the error he received.

Several forum buddies of mine think its a bit of a scam. Like hes trying to get the drives for free or osmething.

First it sounds like you are dealing with a dispute, not a claim. A dispute is just a formal line of communication between buyer and seller. It's PayPal's way to document a process, that's all.

Sounds like you are dealing with a noob to me. It's probably not worth it trying to "educate" a person like that. Just have him return the drives and issue a refund through the dispute process. PayPal (and all other online payment services) all pretty much assume the seller is guilty until proven innocent. You'll likely lose if bumped up to a claim unless he simply doesn't respond to anything.

Offer the refund after you get the drives back and move on.

MR3472: I would highly recommend the intel drive over the vertex drive...just lost a vertex myself

eSco_: yah thats my predigiment - im set to get the ocz vertex 3 120g tomorrow but not sure if I want to. Maybe the intel 330 120g but its a bit more. the ocz one is like 90 bucks

He sold me 2 ocz vertex SSD's

partitioned and formatted the hard drive,the format was done using the quick method as you suggested.I did this twice on my laptop and once on a desktp computer as you suggested and still Windows will not load due to a missing or corrupt file.There was nothing in your post about there being any "special way" to try and install windows,and quite frankly,there shouldn't be.I also doubt that one of the drives is actually functioning properly.

partitioned and formatted the hard drive,the format was done using the quick method as you suggested.I did this twice on my laptop and once on a desktp computer as you suggested and still Windows will not load due to a missing or corrupt file.There was nothing in your post about there being any "special way" to try and install windows,and quite frankly,there shouldn't be.I also doubt that one of the drives is actually functioning properly.

try a secure erase instead if format and see if that helps, also if you connect the drives and run a crystal disk info/ssd life what are the results?

the older ocz drives are really crappy.

for a fact know these drives were in working order before I sent them because they were running in my system. I must have spent at least 2 - 3 hours trying to help him install these drives on his laptop and I never got a response saying he tried any of my suggestions.. Only thing I have gotten from him is yes, it is a disk. And now he has filed a dispute against me for item not as described? How is it exactly that I didn't not describe the item correctly? It clearly shows on my for sale thread that I was selling 2x used OCZ Solid Series 1 120gs that were working..

Liar,and I have the PM's to prove it.

MR3472: I would highly recommend the intel drive over the vertex drive...just lost a vertex myself

eSco_: yah thats my predigiment - im set to get the ocz vertex 3 120g tomorrow but not sure if I want to. Maybe the intel 330 120g but its a bit more. the ocz one is like 90 bucks

He sold me 2 ocz vertex SSD's

did you buy Solid SSD"s or Vertex SSS's from him?

Prove it show me the private messages and I sold you 2 SOLID SERIES check your pms again.

I am the seller fresh is the buyer who has no idea wtf he is doing apparently

pminbox.jpg

Hmm sure looks like the topics of your pms clearly says OCZ Solid series. Now show me a private message where I ever have mislead you of the product you were buying.

And here is where you reply to me saying OCZ VERTEX 2 when you knew you bought solid series
pminbox2.jpg

Here is my FS Thread

fspage.jpg

And here is the pm where it shows you saying you see the part about them being solid series.
pmhis.jpg

If you would have come to me about trying to do a return or osmething I would have gladly worked with you but you go to paypal and file a dispute saying I sold you internally broken SSDS. You are obviously upset with yourself that you bought a 1st gen series SSD instead of buying something newer and are now trying to take it out on me by saying a SOFTWARE related issue is due to because I sold you a broken SSD which is not true what so ever.

Last edited:
First it sounds like you are dealing with a dispute, not a claim. A dispute is just a formal line of communication between buyer and seller. It's PayPal's way to document a process, that's all.

Sounds like you are dealing with a noob to me. It's probably not worth it trying to "educate" a person like that. Just have him return the drives and issue a refund through the dispute process. PayPal (and all other online payment services) all pretty much assume the seller is guilty until proven innocent. You'll likely lose if bumped up to a claim unless he simply doesn't respond to anything.

Offer the refund after you get the drives back and move on.

It was already bumped up to a claim when I got the email. The only options I had were about refunding him his money or disagree with it.

It was already bumped up to a claim when I got the email. The only options I had were about refunding him his money or disagree with it.

Explain to the exactly what you have here or better yet link them to this thread. Even if paypal side in his favor he will have to ship drives back to you before they refund the money back to him.

Freshmtb, can you provide screen of ssd life to any other program to say drives are defective?

bsod are known issue for these drives as OS drives.

Also you received the drives 5 days ago. Why is it that you decided to say something yesturday? You really waited 4 days to try and use them.

Explain to the exactly what you have here or better yet link them to this thread.

Freshmtb, can you provide screen of ssd life to any other program to say drives are defective?

bsod are known issue for these drives as OS drives.

It is currently being reviewed by paypal.

I had the option of either issueing a refund right there and then or disagreeing with his comment of the item being "not described as" which is what his claim was so I selected disagree and left my comments and uploaded screen shots of the private messages of what his issue is. So he is basically trying to say I sold him faulty hard ware because of a windows error he could have simply corrected had he tried a suggestion i gave him. Did I have to do that? No but who knows what kind of windows 7 install cd this kid is using. For all I know it could be a boot leg copy or for all I know he could have tried doing something to the drive that shouldnt have been done, such as trying to update the firmware for a ssd he doesnt even have. Because he clearly keeps saying vertex 2s when he bought solid series and clearly knew they were solid series. So now I have to refund him money and receive drives back from him having no idea what he did to them?

for a fact know these drives were in working order before I sent them because they were running in my system. I must have spent at least 2 - 3 hours trying to help him install these drives on his laptop and I never got a response saying he tried any of my suggestions.. Only thing I have gotten from him is yes, it is a disk. And now he has filed a dispute against me for item not as described? How is it exactly that I didn't not describe the item correctly? It clearly shows on my for sale thread that I was selling 2x used OCZ Solid Series 1 120gs that were working..

Liar,and I have the PM's to prove it.

Also still waiting on your "proof".

And yes PLEASE install them on a computer as storage drives and provide an SSD life picture showing the drives are faulty. Unless you did something to them you werent suppose to do they both read this. I only have one atm but looking for the other on my photo storage page.
ssdlife2.png

I dont see why I should issue a refund simply because you do not like the drives because that is what it is coming down to. They both worked fine when I was using them. I used them as a boot drive + had games on it. Before I sent them to you I had them formatted and installed both on my computer for storage just to double check everything like I do with anything I sell and they both showed up not only in bios but in my windows explorer empty and ready to run.

Last edited:
The changing of the PM title is giving you away fresh as well as the way your going about this. Seems to me your unhappy with your purchase and you are handling this the wrong way. If I were the seller, I would have worked with you on this by refunding your money minus the shipping cost after you returned them to me. You have just made things worse for the both of you by taking this course of action, you should just come out with it and try to resolve this matter the right way.

Last edited:
Here are the SSD Lifes I had taken of these drives

ssdlife2.png

ssdlifef.png

These are of BOTH drives and the date ran is 12/12/2012.

@ phOkaz I would have been more then happy to try and resolve this matter differently. I posted up here asking what to do next not saying who I was speaking about or anything and not only did he file a claim with paypal with out even asking me about a return but he is now trying to bash on me saying I lied to him about the sale of these drives.

So not only is he trying to screw me over with paypal but trying to ruin my rep. I made this post just to get opinions on what to do next. Atm it is up to paypal.

Everyone I sell to I always tell them to please let me know if they have any problems or questions and even at the top of my FS thread it says "if you have a problem with a deal we made, please contact me and we can work it out !" I would hope most traders are this way, and I am sure you guys could have come to an agreement of some sort to make you both happy, filing a dispute or claim without even trying to fix a problem is bad business.

Esco, Im with ya as far as how he is handling this, wrong wrong wrong.

Yah reason I am a bit upset right now. If paypal favors in his side I could be completely screwed. For all I know like I said above he could have altered the drives with OCZ Vertex 2 software and messed them up for all I know.

Honestly if he would have said something like I am unhappy with the performance I would have definitely considered issuing him a refund but it doesn't seem right that someone should be able to get a refund because they were un happy with what they received. If it was broken then ok. But I clearly had it posted, OCZ Solid Series 120g. Not OCZ Vertex 2, And he has yet to provide any proof showing me the drives are not working for him except for his word of saying he had the windows error which I have researched a lot and can be easily correctly.

cm-44950-050f661881e7de.gif

I'd refuse a refund on principle after reading this thread. I'm interested to see how paypal deals with buyer incompetence. Good thing that you keep all this info screen-shotted, OP. I assume you are sending them to paypal as well?

Just get the drives back and refund him. There are words for the type of person you are dealing with that will get me nasty grams from Kyle. It's not worth the drama. Everyone will read this thread and see what is really happening here.

Exactly, FRESH, drop the dispute and send the drives back, live with paying shipping costs as your really at fault here and giving yourself a bad rep. If you do that now, you can save yourself in my eyes and obviously others.

Yup sent paypal everything except for all of the private messages. Didnt know if they would want all that but I did show them an SS of my pm inbox showing we were speaking back and forth.

I would have been happy to work with him had he said something about returning them but as Angry is saying I am extremely hesitant now to even consider trying to be helpful with him anymore. I sat in pms with him for a while explaining to him the issue he is having has happened to lots and is completely random but known. And it seems a bit off for someone to buy something off a forum knowing it is used and then be unsatisfied with the performance but the items is as described and then return it to that seller just because they werent completely happy with the item. Im not a retail store yanno. If the item was broke or something then I can understand a buyer trying to return something to a seller, but not just because they aren't happy with the product. If sellers were to do this willingly and act like a store they risk taking a huge loss by someone who doesnt know what they are doing.

This guys keeps calling these drives vertex 2s when they are not. He could have downloaded a firmware or something from ocz for vertex 2s and tried using it on these drives which would have completely screwed them up. And if that were the case then I am screwed stuck with 2 paper weights for the warranty is non existent anymore on these particular drives.

O well I truly hope paypal investigates this issue in an un bias way. I know 9/10 times they side with the buyer but in this situation you can obviously see there is something off about everything.

P.S. I sincerely apologize for this thread getting out of hand like it has. I myself went a little crazy on the replies to provide proof only because I feel my rep is now questionable as a seller when everything I have sold up until this point has been flawless.

Yeah I was going to tel you something like " chill a little " or whatever, but I can see your panic lol. No need to freak out, just let the evidence speak for itself as it has here, its obviously to everyone what is going on.

If he has changed the firmware or something of that nature, I hope he would be good enough to bring that up. If you end up getting them back and that is the case without the knowledge, I wouldn't know where to go from there. I would just take it one step at a time. Give fresh the option to keep his rep intact and handle it the right way from here on out.

Fresh, where did you go? Do the right thing and fix this problem the correct way.

EDIT: Dude ! I went to look him up and just saw you left him neg feedback ! You should have waited till after everything played out. You may have just made your situation worse.

Last edited:
yAH i Jumped the gun a bit. Figured it was the only way to show defense on my part. Ill edit it for now.

This is what i think, the buyer is going to win this case and Paypal is going to do nothing about it. The buyer is going to ship you back two dead drives and you are out of luck.

This is what i think, the buyer is going to win this case and Paypal is going to do nothing about it. The buyer is going to ship you back two dead drives and you are out of luck.

Your probably right, We will see though. I sent paypal screen shots of the SSDLife and told them the "error" he was encountering.

I am just a bit baffled at how he said he had all this proof of this and that and he hasnt provided anything except a link where I spoke in about a decent ssd. And it actually showed me having my eyes set on an OCZ Vertex 3 for 90 bucks. But instead I grabbed a 520 180g. Figured since I wasn't payin for it because it was a bday present might as well get the larger space drive.

All this shows is I was curious in a newer gen model which is one of the reasons I sold off the ones I did to you. Not because they are faulty because they are far from faulty. I was giving a bday present of 200bucks for an ssd and I considered 2x ocz vertex3s for 90 or 1 intel 520 180g. I decided to get the intel because they have been customer service which I know for a fact. I have never had to deal with OCZ warranty issues so I cant speak from experience but I have seen they have decent service. Probably nothing like intel but they do speak on things on there forums which was another place I told him to go to find out what he did wrong and how he could fix it.

I will consider this and this is the last I will say anything here. I will give you ONE chance to drop the claim and in doing so you will then send me the SSDs and let me inspect them. If they are in the same shape as I gave them to you then we will have an issue but if there is something wrong with them and I cant diagnose the problem then I may consider refunding your money minus shipping and time spent.

Man sorry to hear.. I had an issue sorta like this one, but alittle different.

I sold two GTX 295 dual-PCI's in perfect condition with boxes and all.

Well the buyer attempts to cut the PCI place in half, to SLI them really close, well he cuts the circuit board, and of course, kills one of the cards. This is all after he left positive Heat, and praised me for how good I packaged them.

Well then he said I packaged them bad, blah, blah. Luckily I had that as proof, along with him emailing me, and asking what to do if he cut the circuit board lol. Luckily I won after a long battle.. But yeah now I won't deal with people with 20 or less Heat. I know it's bad for the good low-rating buyers/sellers, but man that burnt me..

Good luck bro. I hope you win.

Is it just me, or does the error not seem like ssd errors at all? I've gotten messages like that before when trying to install windows from a scratched disk or with a faulty disk drive. Unless he successfully installs windows then sees an error like that, I am betting on a scratched disk or fault dvd drive.

Also, I do not approve of my opinion of ocz drives being used as 'proof' that these ones are faulty...

Is it just me, or does the error not seem like ssd errors at all? I've gotten messages like that before when trying to install windows from a scratched disk or with a faulty disk drive. Unless he successfully installs windows then sees an error like that, I am betting on a scratched disk or fault dvd drive.

I have had errors like that with bad installs of OS or bad disk/optical drive but not since XP

EXACTLY THANK YOU

He is trying to justify the drives being faulty by using a WINDOWS LOAD ERROR. I seriouslly hope paypal knows computers so they can laugh in this kids face. I need to get on with my bussiness. This crap is holding off a lot of money for me now to be made. =X

I used the recovery disks that came with the laptop 1st,error message,windows wouldn't load.Installed windows again using a Windows 7 home premium,same thing happened. So obviously it's not the disks.As far as me quoting you,you said you lost a vertex recently,seller acknowledged the same happened to him.He sold his junk drives to me and bought a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back