What to buy in Star Trek Online?

That's_Corporate

[H]ard|Gawd
So, if one was to spend money in STO, what would be the best thing to spend money on?
We're talking REAL money here - Benjamins :)

I'm kinda enamored with it so far and if I can spend a few bucks to get wicked stuff then I'm game!

I watched that video series by Brent so I don't think you need to buy anything to play the game. So I'm just playing along until I see something that I think is cool. I tried to deck out my 1st Bridge Officer but when I found out it costs I decided I could live with default. The only thing, so far, that I wanting to get is that U.S.S. Constitution I saw in the video series.

Only thing worth purchasing in STO would be the master keys for the cardasian lock boxes. But beware, there like a full mystery box, you could get a ship, you could get artifacts, you could just get some EC's.

As surfhick stated, most of what you see in game you can just play to get.... Some things you cant get that are specifically only for lifers or payed subbers, but otherwise the rest you can get on your own.

The Federation starter pack isn't bad, but I think you need to apply it when you generate a new character. I bought it last night, but it wouldn't let me apply it to my present career. https://www.startrekonline.com/store?item= 1265

I bought a few box keys, but I'm not sure if I'll be doing that anymore.

The Duty Officer pack I wanted to buy, but it doesn't give me a clue why my current avatar is inelligible to use it. I think it's another you need to purchase early on, or perhaps after you rank up a bit. https://www.startrekonline.com/store?item= 1265

You really start getting some better gear after the first few battles.

honestly unless you care about aesthetics and making the game seem realistic save your money. there isn't anything thats purchasable thats worth buying really. also i'd say hold off spending any money on the game until you hit level 50 which should take you 4-10 days depending on if you actually read through the crap in the missions. because if you buy something now and get to level 50 and realize theres no real point in doing the missions from that point on and the fact that the only thing of value is grinding through STF's you might be a bit pissed(my friends found out the hard way with some of them paying for lifetime subs or dropping money on cryptic points for no reason). don't get me wrong though, i loved the game for the short 10 days i played it but cryptic and PWE have absolutely no idea how to run an F2P MMO outside of china or korea(mostly referring to PWE in this statement).

and ffs people don't bother with the boxes. the Galor is a piece of junk, its on par with the level 20 free ships. but after you hit level 30 all the other free ships are better.

So, if one was to spend money in STO, what would be the best thing to spend money on?
We're talking REAL money here - Benjamins :)

I'm kinda enamored with it so far and if I can spend a few bucks to get wicked stuff then I'm game!

Best ship? Advance Heavy Cruiser, the advanced Excelsior Class. Takes a licking and then kicks your ass...

First off, don't buy any Master Keys.

Generally look for account-wide purchases rather than per character stuff. Unfortunately, there are only a few, like the EC Cap Unlock and C-Store ship purchases (only buy VA level ships which unlock for all your alts). A good value is buying a couple or four extra character slots, even if you don't play them and just use for extra bank, doff, EC storage and exchange auction slots.

Also remember you can earn Dilithium in game and trade it for C-Points, so you can put some of that towards your store purchases too.

Are more ship slots available later in F2P?

I think you get an extra slot or two per rank, so at VA you should have 8 or 9 total. Then you can buy extra slots (per character).

How about the Excelsior?

It's the only ship that comes with transwarp and you can put that console on any other Fed ship you own. That's one purchase I am debating but I don't know.

It sure would be nice to transwarp to places other than Sol. AFAIK, the transwarp gives you:

Alpha Centauri Sector Block
Sirius Sector Block
Regulus Sector Block
Pi Canis Sector Block
Psi Velorum Sector Block
Iota Pavonis Sector Block
Eta Eridani Sector Block
Beta Ursae Sector Block
Alpha Trianguli Sector Block

Are more ship slots available later in F2P?

you get 2 slots each rank, by the time you hit VA(level 50) you should have 4 extra slots plus 6 ships minimum if you save your lower upgrade ships.

How about the Excelsior?

It's the only ship that comes with transwarp and you can put that console on any other Fed ship you own. That's one purchase I am debating but I don't know.

It sure would be nice to transwarp to places other than Sol. AFAIK, the transwarp gives you:

Alpha Centauri Sector Block
Sirius Sector Block
Regulus Sector Block
Pi Canis Sector Block
Psi Velorum Sector Block
Iota Pavonis Sector Block
Eta Eridani Sector Block
Beta Ursae Sector Block
Alpha Trianguli Sector Block

you can, if you go into your mission's and go to the episodes tab you can transwarp to the primary location for each mission. so what you do is cheat it once you finish most of the missions and click replay for each of the missions that are in different sectors. then you just click transwarp and you go to that sector. its how i use to go back and forth between sol, DS9(where the [borg] buffed weapons are) and the warzone(dilithium mining PVP mission, friggin boring).. once you go through the first 3 chapters transwarping really doesn't matter because you won't go anywhere else except sol, ds9 and the warzone since you should already be level 50 long before that.

Last edited:
Might want to buy 1 month to perma unlock
*more inventory & bank space
*Increases your Energy Credit Max to 1billion
*If you are subscribed when you lvl your characters you will get respec tokens
*You will receive 400 cryptic points for each month you subscribe
*I think 2 more character slots

what i recommend buying is
*100+ Duty officer slots if you plan on doing duty missions
*More character slots (to do dailies etc for more dilithium)
*If you play kdf you could buy a carrier to play around with.

Might want to buy 1 month to perma unlock
*Increases your Energy Credit Max to 1billion

Unlike the other items listed, the EC cap is not permanently unlocked. It reverts back down to 10 million on all characters once your Gold subscription runs out.

Back