What to buy for x58 - Samsung 950 pro or 970 evo?

Vlad_13

[H]ard|Gawd
Quick question for SSD gurus outhere, looking to buy a nVME 256GB SSD for my gaming PC, will be puting OS and light gaming on it, here is my two cheep choices or deals I can get here in Ukraine, which one to get:

Samsung 950 pro 256GB (used with 38.5 TBW)

or

Samsung 970 evo 256GB (new)

Also 950 pro has a legacy support and 970 evo dont, therefore I dont need to play with DUET in order to get a normal boot drive.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Quick question for SSD gurus outhere, looking to buy a nVME 256GB SSD for my gaming PC, will be puting OS and light gaming on it, here is my two cheep choices or deals I can get here in Ukraine, which one to get:

Samsung 950 pro 256GB (used with 38.5 TBW)

or

Samsung 970 evo 256GB (new)

Also 950 pro has a legacy support and 970 evo dont, therefore I dont need to play with DUET in order to get a normal boot drive.

Thanks for your help!

Just get the pro 950 39 TB is nothing as these SSD can last over 2 petabytes of written data, the 950 Pro is going to perform around the same as the evo the due to pcie limitation of your system but it still be fast (random io will be unaffected pro be faster in that regard) the

The Pro will out perform in high constant writes due to MLC (Pro drives don't use a small SLC cache as they don't need it)

If price is good I would go with the 950 Pro (you most likely still have to use DEUT as well due to possible none booting support for nvme ssd on x58)

Just get the pro 950 39 TB is nothing as these SSD can last over 2 petabytes of written data, the 950 Pro is going to perform around the same as the evo the due to pcie limitation of your system but it still be fast (random io will be unaffected pro be faster in that regard) the

The Pro will out perform in high constant writes due to MLC (Pro drives don't use a small SLC cache as they don't need it)

If price is good I would go with the 950 Pro (you most likely still have to use DEUT as well due to possible none booting support for nvme ssd on x58)
Thanks man, I was leaning towards 950 pro myself!

I had a 950 Pro on my X58 Sabertooth. Didn't need any additional software. The legacy support worked fine and it was seen in bios and when installing OS.

I'd probably get the 950 Pro just for that alone.

I had a 950 Pro on my X58 Sabertooth. Didn't need any additional software. The legacy support worked fine and it was seen in bios and when installing OS.

I'd probably get the 950 Pro just for that alone.

Neat info, thanks.

Back