What titles I can't go wrong with? For FF player that is

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
The last games i played were Final Fantasy 7,8,9, and 10. I stopped after that. I still play my favorite old console games via emulation. I tried oblivion and diablo3 but didn't like them. There must be some games that will turn me on. I'm about 40 but i should still find titles that will suit me.

Are you trying to stick to the FF formula? If so, check out Child of Light...mix of platform and turn based fighting. If you are a South Park fan, try The Stick of Truth...both these are on steam and cheap.

If you just want RPG in general, The Witcher 3 (as mentioned) and Fallout 4 are pretty awesome. I'm also a big fan of XCom (Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within)...haven't played XCom 2 yet. For strictly Strategy, the Civ games are up there too.

There are so many good games out there since early 2000's (i.e. when FF 10 came out)...I can recommend lots more, these are just recent ones.

Did you stop because you hated FF 10?
What's wrong with Daiblo 3 and Oblivion?
What games are your favourites and why?

Do you like the turn-based combat or JRPGs in general?

If the former there is currently a renaissance happening with the resurgence of cRPGs going on that are also story-rich. Check out Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny. If the latter I would check out the Tales series (Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria, Tales of Symphonia). For something different but still with a distinctly Japanese style, check out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

The more info you can give us about your tastes, the more we can help.

Thanks for all for your replies

If you miss out on The Witcher 3 you'll miss out on one the best RPG experiences, if not the best, to date.
Will check it out

Are you trying to stick to the FF formula? If so, check out Child of Light...mix of platform and turn based fighting. If you are a South Park fan, try The Stick of Truth...both these are on steam and cheap.

If you just want RPG in general, The Witcher 3 (as mentioned) and Fallout 4 are pretty awesome. I'm also a big fan of XCom (Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within)...haven't played XCom 2 yet. For strictly Strategy, the Civ games are up there too.

There are so many good games out there since early 2000's (i.e. when FF 10 came out)...I can recommend lots more, these are just recent ones.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I like the FF style. I'll check out the titles you mentioned.

Dark souls .. #endofthread
Will check it out

Did you stop because you hated FF 10?
What's wrong with Daiblo 3 and Oblivion?
What games are your favourites and why?

I actually stopped because FF 11 happened to be online RPG. Couldn't and didn't want to pay. FF 10 was actually one of the best (Not the best story, but best gameplay).

Do you like the turn-based combat or JRPGs in general?

If the former there is currently a renaissance happening with the resurgence of cRPGs going on that are also story-rich. Check out Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny. If the latter I would check out the Tales series (Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria, Tales of Symphonia). For something different but still with a distinctly Japanese style, check out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen.

The more info you can give us about your tastes, the more we can help.

Yes, I like turn based combat.

What I like:

Eye candy
Super strong moves
Leveling up and gaining new cool abilities
Side challenges
Super hard Bosses like Emerald weapon, Omega weapon, and Penance.
And of course the story....Something like FF 7.

I bet if I play games based on the anime titles I watch, I'll definitely like them ( Naruto, Bleach, One piece). But, you already know all the details of the story, so ? I like how Uchiha Madara, Aizen, and the four emperor's/admirals are extremely powerful and badass. Those who watch these will know what I mean.

I'm not a full time gamer. Maybe this is part of the reason I didn't like Diablo and Oblivion. They didn't catch my attention at all probably because I didn't give them time??? I hated the gameplay. I just finished my Master's degree, so I'll have more free time, hence this thread.

Again, thanks to all. I'll come back after I read about the games you guys mentioned.

Note: By the way I still play Captain Tsubasa: Super striker II from time to time. I think it is one of the best games ever ! Although it is an NES game. It is just a Masterpiece! Those who played it and know captain tsubasa story will know what I mean.

The last games i played were Final Fantasy 7,8,9, and 10. I stopped after that. I still play my favorite old console games via emulation. I tried oblivion and diablo3 but didn't like them. There must be some games that will turn me on. I'm about 40 but i should still find titles that will suit me.

Maybe try a western RPG like Witcher 3, Dragon Age or Mass Effect? These aren't turn based, but they have lots of side-quests, top shelf graphics and character progression. They're really hard if you set the difficulty to the higher settings.

If the core thing you like about Final Fantasy is that they're turn based, try out something like X-Com: Enemy Unknown or X-Com 2. X-Com is lighter on the story, but it's still a AAA game with turn-based based action. I don't think it has any bosses, though.

There aren't that many RPG's that really capture what FF used to do. I love the Witcher and Dark Souls, but they aren't all that similar. Especially Dark Souls. Dark Souls probably has more in common with Ninja Gaiden than Final Fantasy.
I'd probably go with Dragon Age Origins, Pillars of Eternity, the new Divinity games, and the Baldur's Gate remasters.

Some older/non-high-end-pc games you may've missed:

Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Quest VIII (or any of that series really, the remakes on DS aren't bad either)
Xenoblade Chronicles (a bit too western-style for my tastes, but does have a FF vibe and is very popular)
Fire Emblem series
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden II (the first one is also fun, but not necessary to enjoy the sequal which is better in almost every way)

You know that PC is starting to have a pretty decent collection of JRPGs right? Including all of the Final Fantasy games.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_614_615_final-fantasy_12&term=final+fantasy

Also...

Back