What Tim Cook Thinks Of Android

HardOCP News

[H] News
Speaking at the annual Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference, Apple's CEO covered a variety of topics, including his thoughts on Android.

Our whole life as a company we’ve always fought against fierce competitors. In the PC world, it was the Microsoft monopoly. In the smartphone world, people thought we had no chance against BlackBerry and Nokia. In the tablet world, people questioned, why are you doing this product? Same kind of thing with the iPod in a way. We’ve always had stiff competition. This makes us better. We think about doing a great product. We think if we do that well, other things will take care of themselves.

I miss the Job approach of ripping into the competition (or declaring them not to even be competition) at every turn.

Aside from the click-bait front page link this is a complete non-story

He answered nothing.

He loves android. Less ideas for apple to think of on their own.

Apple has always dreamed that it competed with Microsoft in the PC space--but it never actually has. In order to compete, Apple would have to untie OS X from the Apple firmware and support the great majority of x86 hardware made in the world--and drop the Mac as a proprietary box--that's what it would take, and Apple has never done that and never will. Nor will Apple enter the global server OS market to compete. Cook no doubt has as much of the RDF virus as Jobs ever had...! So, who is Cook fooling? He's fooling Apple customers, that's who, just like Apple always has and always will...:D

It will be interesting to see how well Apple is doing in 5, then 10 years from now. Their streak of success has followed a similar pattern to other well-known companies of the past and it is only a matter of time before the "next big thing" overshadows their current dominance in various niche/mainstream markets. Will Apple defy the past, will it have the leadership strength to persevere and the whit to keep its customer base? I do not think Tim Cook is capable of such feats.

Meh, weak. It was more fun with Jobs who could channel his inner unfiltered asshole.

It will be interesting to see how well Apple is doing in 5, then 10 years from now. Their streak of success has followed a similar pattern to other well-known companies of the past and it is only a matter of time before the "next big thing" overshadows their current dominance in various niche/mainstream markets. Will Apple defy the past, will it have the leadership strength to persevere and the whit to keep its customer base? I do not think Tim Cook is capable of such feats.

Soon they'll be inventing streamed Pay TV and home automation so they've got things to do for a few years still. :D

Tim Cook's style is much different from Steve Jobs. I miss the charisma from Steve - even if I did not always agree with his view points.
Tim's style is much more "positive". I've not really seen him bash something or say it "sucks". Instead, he gently talks around it and is a master at not really making a comment about competitors.
I do think we will see Apple enter other markets in the future. They keep talking about TV (I'm thinking beyond AppleTV) - but haven't seen anything much.
iOS has HomeKit - home automation is sort of coming out of the hobby-phase now, but it realistically has some maturing to do before it is even close to main stream. I don't think Apple will enter this market until it's a lot more baked.
Smart cars? Doubtful. This market is super experimental at this phase.
Be interesting to see how the watches fair. I'm not interested in any smart watch - have played with several, not impressed and really don't see a need for one.
Now, if only I had a time machine and could travel back to when Microsoft invested money in Apple to keep them afloat. How much would a $5000 investment be worth now? Back in the day, I remember thinking they were done. Not being a Mac person, I really did not care that much. Now, I do have some investments with Apple. They are doing pretty well. I am going to "take some off the table" and hang on to the rest.

He loves android. Less ideas for apple to think of on their own.

It is amzing how Apple passes off ideas like they are their own. The only thing they should be proud of is putting together a lot of other peoples' ideas into one idea and then running one hell of a marketing campaign by going after the very audience that falls for that.

and you know from experience? :p

His gay-dar detector must be beeping. :eek:

Soon they'll be inventing streamed Pay TV and home automation so they've got things to do for a few years still. :D
I don't know about "inventing" it, but if iTunes offered a streaming TV service with more content than NetFlix, our household would likely subscribe. Until then, it's NetFlix and Prime for me.

As someone who has worked with quite a few different phones over the years on both the iOS and Android ecosystems, it's amazing just how much Apple has let iOS stagnate. Pretty much every "new" feature in iOS 8 is basically catching up to something Android has had for years, and developing a cross-platform app (especially one involving connectivity with other devices) involves all sorts of arcane work-arounds for what amounts to arbitrary policy restrictions put in place by Apple.

That said, I was actually quite impressed with the hardware on the iPhone 6 and 6+ that I used for testing, and iPad is still clearly the way to go when it comes to tablets but at this point I'd rather stick to the Android side for my phone.

Fuck Tim Cook and yes Fuck Apple. Both of which has never invented or innovated anything. They lifted aka 5 finger discount other peoples works/ideas.

Fuck'em both

Last good Apple product was the Apple II series. Everything Apple since has been hyped up garbage. Tesla is much more interesting these days especially with the built-in 4G connected 17" tablet with Google Maps/Garmin navigation. Once Tesla mass produces the Model 3 and make the bundled car/home integrated 17" tablet removable it's bye bye iPad.

This is the least evil thing I've heard Apple say in a long long time.

Maybe there is hope for them after all.

A warmer, softer, cuddlier Apple that doesn't sue you to death for making a device with rounded edges.

Once Tesla mass produces the Model 3 and make the bundled car/home integrated 17" tablet removable it's bye bye iPad.

The iPad didn't have a great 2014. It was still the #1 tablet brand by far and no doubt the lion's share of tablet profits but sales did decline 14.6% while the tablet market though much slower growing did eek out 4.4% growth.

There's a confluence of issues, bigger phones, market saturation and market realization that mobile OS tablets aren't necessarily replacements for laptops. The tablet will be interesting this year with all that's coming out and what Apple's response will be to the big drop off in iPad sales.

The one thing I read, and didn't realize, what Cook did as COO and what Apple continues to do now is dominate the supply chain. They buy out/lock in the best suppliers and materials so that competitors have to go with the 2nd best suppliers, at lower profit margins as well.

Is it just me? I didn't even see android mentioned in that paragraph.

The one thing I read, and didn't realize, what Cook did as COO and what Apple continues to do now is dominate the supply chain. They buy out/lock in the best suppliers and materials so that competitors have to go with the 2nd best suppliers, at lower profit margins as well.

Yep.

This is one of the reasons we still have 28nm GPU's.

Apple (and to a lesser extent, the qualcomms of the world) has bought out all the small node contract fab capacity.

What a politically correct response that was.

Geez, what a beta......

I agree with whomever said they miss the old Jobs.....he would have actually said Google, or Android......not some vague ramble about competitors....

Back