what the heck lian li?

misfitsfiend

[H]ard|Gawd
so my friend asked me to come over to his house the other day to help him build a comp for his sister because he was having some trouble putting crap in. although he didn't order alot of the stuff i would've suggested had he asked :rolleyes: , i still decided i'd give him a hand. he got a crappy gigabyte motherboard which didn't even fit with the metal case plate for the motherboard connections, and this lian li case. this case doesn't say ANYTHING about being a different form factor, and my friend, being the dumbass that he is, didn't even look at the pictures for it. (hint: look at where the power supply is seated) WTF kind of arrangement is this? he bought a crappy heatsink which i once had and told him he'd regret getting it, but he never got to find out, because it doesn't even fit in the case! the heatsink is too large to fit in the case because of the power supplies location! isn't that the worst practical spot for a power supply (temps wise as well) ? so we went to circuit city and luckily, they had a crappy antec socket a heatsink which worked fine. the case is a pretty decently built case, but this just ruined it!

I would agree that the case's design is not exactly the best for cooling or fitting exotic HSFs. However, it is good for a small box to fit under a desk or somewhere else inconspicuous. I have a very similar mini-tower that I modded here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=767489

I like mine and the Lian-Li one looks spectacular in my opinion. If you were a real friend you'd mod a 120mm exhaust fan into the top and a couple 40mm fans into the back panel for him. ;)

Thats the only way they can get cases smaller without using smaller form factors. Ive had cases with the same layout except the psu was much closer to the mb than the lian li. It might not be that bad cooling wise if you can modify the heatsink, or make a duct or something. Its alrady got a topside fan so it shouldn't be that bad at all.

That's what "mid-tower" means.

It's not Lian-Li's fault that people don't understand this. Many manufactuers make cases this way.

my new sk8t800 board for my a64 2800+ actuallly has the chipset far enough to the upper right that a power supply might not interfere. But that is pretty tight, i'd be suprised if an oem HS/fan would fit on any other mobo's. You can always talk him intoo a shuttle pc and snag his case..hehe. that would make a nice little media pc for next to the TV.

i do realize that my friend should have looked at the case in the pictures, but shouldn't lian li or newegg at least say something along the lines of, "new COMPACT design"?

Well it's not really new just rearranged on the inside alittle. You should have read some reviews and/ or looked at the thing before you bought it. Hell I don't buy anything without having an...intimate...understanding of it (at the very least reading a few reviews).

i had the PC52B last month (till i foun a PC65B...) ... its the same case as that but with a different front panel. ALL Standard ATX and mATX boards will fit that case .... all the mounts are there, you dont know what your talking about.

misfitsfiend said:
i do realize that my friend should have looked at the case in the pictures, but shouldn't lian li or newegg at least say something along the lines of, "new COMPACT design"?

Because NewEgg having the same pictures you showed us isn't enough?

You can't tell me that he just looked at the thumbnail of the picture and said "Okay, I want this!" ;) :p

CrimandEvil said:
Well it's not really new just rearranged on the inside alittle. You should have read some reviews and/ or looked at the thing before you bought it. Hell I don't buy anything without having an...intimate...understanding of it (at the very least reading a few reviews).

it wasn't my case--he bought it for his sister and his sister is stupid and says "OOH PRETTY BLACK AND SHINY!" and wants to put money down for it. and he's somewhat stupid as well, didn't even look at the pictures. yeah, i know he's a dumbass, but shouldn't there be some sort of notification that it's different from most cases on newegg? ESPECIALLY for the noobs who don't know what they're doing? (like my friend)

Dillusion said:
i had the PC52B last month (till i foun a PC65B...) ... its the same case as that but with a different front panel. ALL Standard ATX and mATX boards will fit that case .... all the mounts are there, you dont know what your talking about.

i'm saying that the motherboard is shitty and probably won't fit into the case :rolleyes: . shut it.

What is wrong with the placement of the PSU relating to heat issues inside the case. The way the PSU is oriented you don't need a big exotic HSF for that processor. If you use a decent (fill in brand name here) PSU that has a 92MM or 120MM Fan on the bottom of the PSU it would sit right on top of the processor. I would try using a swiftech heat sink without a fan and see if the temps were decent on it with the PSUs fan right next to it.

misfitsfiend said:

No, because there's nothing new about it. There have been cases like that for ages, although most enthusiasts probably aren't familiar with them. Thats a very common configuration in OEM cases, and minitowers.

As for the motherboard fitting, it sounds from this:
he got a crappy gigabyte motherboard which didn't even fit with the metal case plate for the motherboard connections
like you're forgetting to take out the backplate from the case and put in the one that came with the mobo. I've heard Gigabyte boards called crappy before, but never because they didn't fit in an ATX case. Dillusion is correct, all standard ATX boards *will* fit that case. If it doesn't fit, you're probably doing something wrong.

misfitsfiend said:
it wasn't my case--he bought it for his sister and his sister is stupid and says "OOH PRETTY BLACK AND SHINY!" and wants to put money down for it. and he's somewhat stupid as well, didn't even look at the pictures. yeah, i know he's a dumbass, but shouldn't there be some sort of notification that it's different from most cases on newegg? ESPECIALLY for the noobs who don't know what they're doing? (like my friend)

i'm saying that the motherboard is shitty and probably won't fit into the case :rolleyes: . shut it.

Newegg should'nt have to say anything more than they have, the pictures and the phrase "mid-tower" should tell you that. If your friend couldn't figure it out by reading the description, then maybe he shouldn't be buying such expensive cases without looking at the pictures and checking to see that it will work with what he bought (mainly the heatsink)

If your friend is such a noob like you say, maybe he shouldn't be building computers...... tell him to buy a Dell or something

About the motherboard, yes, it will fit. As has been said, any and all ATX motherboards will fit (atx, micro ATX, etc...) Just because it is a budget board doesn't mean it won't fit

Not to sound harsh, but maybe you AND your friend should take a step back from building computers and check out www.Dell.com

Grizzy said:
Not to sound harsh, but maybe you AND your friend should take a step back from building computers and check out www.Dell.com

Mission failed. That's about as harsh of an insult as you can give around here.

misfitsfiend said:
ESPECIALLY for the noobs who don't know what they're doing? (like my friend)

If he's so unmotivated that he won't look at the pictures, why would he bother, like, reading something?

.B ekiM

mikeblas said:
If he's so unmotivated that he won't look at the pictures, why would he bother, like, reading something?

.B ekiM

Words, that takes a bit of effort. :D

My last case was about that size, and I didn't really like it. From the pictures I saw on the site I got it from, it was a normal case...although I hadn't a clue the proper size for this oddball type of atx. I had an Alpha pal8045 for a HSF, and to make it fit I had to run the PSU w/o the top cover (which directly faced the motherbaord). I'm guessing that with the PSU top on, I had only 80mm to deal with. The only benifit from this was that the PSU had an extra 80mm fan always blowing on the heatsink (fan was sucking air out of the HSF) Unfortunately that HSF would be over 120mm when on the zif socket - you're friend might get lucky had have a PSU that has short-rising heatsinks.

Grizzy said:
If your friend couldn't figure it out by reading the description, then maybe he shouldn't be buying such expensive cases without looking at the pictures and checking to see that it will work with what he bought (mainly the heatsink)
[/url]

ok, since you said he should be able to tell what the oreientation of the case is like inside from the description, please show me how you can tell just by reading these 2 case descriptions. or, please tell me how you can tell that a big heatsink like that wouldn't fit. i see nothing in there that would tell you that the power supply goes directly over the motherboard.

ENERMAX BLACK ATX 10-BAY MID-TOWER CASE with 400W Power Supply, Model "CS-EN5171LBFS-B"
Specifications:
Case Type: Mid tower Case
Color: Black
Material: 0.8mm SECC Steel (body), 1.2mm Aluminum (front panel)
Drive Bays: External 4 x 5.25" -2 x 3.5" Internal 4x 3.5"
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: USB2.0 x 2,Audio in/out, IEEE1394
Power Supply: Power Up 400watt
Cooling System: N/A
Motherboard Compatibility: Standerd P4 ATX / Micro ATX
Dimensions: D18.9" x W7.8" x H17"

Lian Li Black Aluminum ATX Mid-Tower Case, Model "PC3077B" -RETAIL

- Specifications -

Case Type: ATX Mid-Tower
Color: Black
Material: Aluminum
Drive Bays: 5.25" x 4/0, 3.5" x 1/3 (external/internal)
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: 2 x USB2.0, 2 x Audio, 1 x IEEE1394
Power Supply: N/A
Cooling System: 2 x 8 cm sleeve fans
Motherboard Compatibility: ATX & Pentium 4 (MAX SIZE: 12" x 9.6")
Dimensions: 8.3" x 14.4" x 19.3" (WxHxD)

About the motherboard, yes, it will fit. As has been said, any and all ATX motherboards will fit (atx, micro ATX, etc...) Just because it is a budget board doesn't mean it won't fit

i'm not saying the motherboard WON'T fit. i'm saying the metal plate on that back won't fit with it. it's something either with the spacing of the motheboard standoffs, or the spacing of the case standoffs. i'm sure i should buy a dell because of this HUGE setback. :rolleyes:

No, because there's nothing new about it. There have been cases like that for ages, although most enthusiasts probably aren't familiar with them. Thats a very common configuration in OEM cases, and minitowers.

wouldn't you dare to venture that most of lian li's cases are built for the enthusiast? :confused:

either way, this computer still got built, just a complaint. i swear, some of these people are so quick to flame, but so slow to help out.

Thats easy, the PC3077B is just look at the height and width. :)
It's not that hard.

CrimandEvil said:
Thats easy, the PC3077B is just look at the height and width. :)
It's not that hard.

ok then, look at this case. it's a micro atx case, yet the power supply is still on top, and hardly bigger.

CODEGEN Black/Silver Micro ATX Mid-Tower Case with Front Panel USB 2.0 ports, Model "1012-CA" -RETAIL

Model# CAT-1012-CA
Item # N82E16811182520

Specifications:
Case Type: Micro ATX Case
Color: Black/Silver
Material: Steel Chassis w/ ABS Plastic Front Panel
Drive Bays: 5.25" x 3/0, 3.5" x 2/1 (external/internal)
Expansion Slots: 4
Front Ports: USB 2.0 x 2 & Audio x 1 & Mic x 1
Power Supply: Codegen 300W
Cooling System: Optional - Qty 1 (8cm) Fan
Motherboard Compatibility: Micro ATX (only)
Dimensions: 16.75 x 7 x 14.5 (DxWxH)

misfitsfiend said:
either way, this computer still got built, just a complaint. i swear, some of these people are so quick to flame, but so slow to help out.

People today love pushing the blame on everyone else.. Your buddy didn't research his purchase sufficiently and had some trouble because of it. So you come in here and blame it on Lian-Li or Newegg for not advertising that this case has a different layout than most towers. If your buddy couldn't be bothered to look closely at the pics before spending almost $100 on a case, he's got no one to blame but himself.

Don't expect people to sympathize with an attempt to blame anyone but the person who deserves it. :rolleyes: And what kind of help do you expect? You didn't ask for help, you just came in here ranting.

Kids are dumb... thats why when friends who know nothing want to build a computer, I pick the parts. If they start to pick parts such as crappy cases (I only do Antec or Lian-Li) or cool heatsinks or cool-colored motherboards... I tell them to go blow themselves.

Hell, even when I built a computer for my father (who is pretty tech-savvy, he works as a freelance programmer) I still made sure he okay'd all the parts with me first. He made some pretty good choices on his own, but hey, better safe than sorry ;)

misfitsfiend said:
i'm not saying the motherboard WON'T fit. i'm saying the metal plate on that back won't fit with it. it's something either with the spacing of the motheboard standoffs, or the spacing of the case standoffs.

maybe this is an obvious question, but did the mobo come with it's own metal plate? if so, you are using that one, right?

(probably yes and yes, but it's worth asking)

ra-odin said:
Hell, even when I built a computer for my father (who is pretty tech-savvy, he works as a freelance programmer) I still made sure he okay'd all the parts with me first. He made some pretty good choices on his own, but hey, better safe than sorry ;)

yeah, i agree my friend is a dumbass. he thinks he knows everything, and now his sister is bitching and crying all the time at him because it looks stupid without a backplate. i seriously don't understand how he managed to not notice that from the pictures, or ask for a second opinion. i've built a few computers now, and i STILL ask like one or two of my friends for second opinions. it's kinda like coding, alot of time you won't see the error in your code (even if it is a syntax error), but someone else will spot that real quick. i guess it does seem like i'm trying to put the blame on lian li, but it is my friend's fault for being so stupid. he didn't ask for my help i'm sure because he has a 5.0 weighted gpa and thinks he knows everything. it was me who ended up building the stupid thing because he couldn't figure out how to put most of it together. oh well, his loss.

Back