What The...??? Dell is watching us

Holy shit...if this is true

im gonna take my lappy apart when I get home ( i have a sager)

but can they really be that stupid? people work on the laptops all the time, especially when they are out of warranty....

edit...not only that, if it uses the ethernet port...any competent network admin would catch the traffic. even a security padawon like myself could catch em....

i would think if they are gonna log the keys, do so until the asset (laptop) is siezed, then just grab all key presses (in case the hard drive is encrypted)

That is disturbing at best... I would like to find out the validity to this. Anyone have a 600m to test out on? I have access to several Dell laptops, but I don't want to go cracking them open :D

Hoax, that's as simple as I can put it.

Here's the source of the images that he "found in his d600":

http://www.dansdata.com/keyghost.htm

Look about half way down the page, coincidence? I think not. :cool:

Edit: Also, the signature in the department of homeland security is clearly not the same as the one listed there..

Oh, hey, that really sucks. This just with US Dells or world wide. I knew that Michael Dell was bumbuddies with Bush, but this is too far.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
We need to find out for sure. I just ordered a precision workstation.

Let me get my tin foil hat. I think I hear those silenced black helicopters. :p

Please read my above post again, he ripped the text and images off of Dan's data (a really great site by the way).

It's fake.

hagbard said:
Hope not, I don't have my trousers on! :p
Eww....

It's a hoax, there's another thread floating around in here about WARNING! DELL or something like that in the subject line. Read that thread and you'll find a link where it was discredited.

There is a company that specializes in putting keyloggers into keyboards but you have to order it from them and it's pretty damn clear out of the box it's not a normal keyboard.

Plus with all the hype about the Homeland security bill installing a keylogger WITHOUT notifying a customer or clearly marking it as such is sure to get the men in suites at the factory door.

On that note, *puts on sunglasses* look at this silver pen please. *FLASH*

Talonz said:
Please read my above post again, he ripped the text and images off of Dan's data (a really great site by the way).

It's fake.
why would that make it a hoax? He's mearly pointing out what he found with an exact description. I don't think that would exclude it from being true. I'll agree it is a bit far fetched, but I would like to see if anyone else has it. If not, then I would have to say it's fake.

It's fake, I've had numerous 600m's and D600 Laptops apart (Hey, I work on em for a living) and not a single one of them have a board that looks even remotely like that in them. The guy on that page mentions that PCB being attached to the ethernet board in the Laptop....600m's and D600's don't have Ethernet daughtercards....they're soldered on the mainboard.

Mr_Evil said:
It's fake, I've had numerous 600m's and D600 Laptops apart (Hey, I work on em for a living) and not a single one of them have a board that looks even remotely like that in them. The guy on that page mentions that PCB being attached to the ethernet board in the Laptop....600m's and D600's don't have Ethernet daughtercards....they're soldered on the mainboard.
that's the answer I was looking for. thanks for clearing it up.

DR_K13 said:
Not Found
The requested URL /wtf/lol.htm was not found on this server.

:confused:
Me thinks the guy realized everyone was on to him and took the page down. :D

All it takes is one Dell field tech (me) to spill the beans and call the bullshit.

wow yall are having a fit over that? how about Logitech loging any websurfing you do when you own a wireless keyboard/mouse.......Backweb or Backlog is what its called, so yeah, its nothing new companies watch your moves, to make better products :rolleyes:

no really, they sell it to other companies :p

soulsaver_8229

never. though they do have them in Desktops (for obvious cable management reasons)

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG said:
I FOUND A WAY TO GET IT OFF THEN

just type one letter 500,000 times and you're ensured, how hard can it be hahaha :D

Do I really need to know how many strokes it takes to beat a hard keyghost?

Back