What Tech Company is Next on the Block?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
The Los Angeles Times is telling us that AngiesList, GoPro, Groupon, Zynga, and Yelp are all prime for the picking. Who knew that Yelp needed almost 4,000 employees to make things happen? I figured there were still just a couple of guys running that out of their apartment.

One reason: Many tech companies have struggled with execution, unforeseen competition, management turnover and other woes. That’s prompted disaffected investors to keep pushing share prices lower, leaving the companies with market values that are well below their highs and luring buyers.

Wow, it amazes me to know that Angie's List has/had 1700+ employees; that seems like a lot for what it is. From what I gather, Angie's List was more or less a yellow pages for the Internet. After a few articles came out about their business practices and removing legit reviews, why would anyone trust or use their service anymore.

Only common I see in that list of companies is rapidly losing value. GoPro especially, they were out priced early on once competition hit the ground and now their competition has vastly outpaced them in both software and features. The wireless signal strength on go pro's is abysmal compared to cheaper variants.

Yelp has 4,000 employees? I don't even know what Yelp is. How the hell can they need a workforce that big?

Yelp has 4,000 employees? I don't even know what Yelp is. How the hell can they need a workforce that big?

Yelp is a pretty big deal. I've had a several people I do business with encourage me to give them a good Yelp review just this year. Not that I ever cared much about Yelp reviews but a lot seem to. And you've heard about the lawsuits around it lately.

GoPro is kind of a niche market. They are nice cameras - but the China knock offs are much cheaper. I bought a knock off from Amazon for $37. It works great - though it doesn't have all the features of a real GoPro.
I could see a company like Apple buying them. Then again, how does this play into Apples future line up? Is their enough of a market to justify buying a company like this?

Yelp seems like it could be a target of Microsoft (Bing) or Google. Add Yelp to your search results/maps - makes sense to me.

Back