What tablet(s) are my fellow [H]ard members rocking with?

I have been looking for something cheap and was considering the Lenovo Tab 2 A10 or A8.. Thank goodness I waited a week and grabbed a Shield Tablet K1.. I've wanted one since the first version launched but I thought the price was too steep...solved that!

Closest thing to it is the Shield tab K1 that was just released from last year. It's still a solid tab and well worth the $200 price now. It's stock Android with just a couple Nvidia tweaks/apps. I have one and my son has a 2013 N7 as well. The N7 keeps up pretty well until you do anything graphically demanding, then it's night/day in performance and the front facing speakers are significantly better.
Wow, glad I read this. My 8 year old nephew's school tablet bit the dust, last week. I've been planning to give my N7 to him and possibly get a Nexus 9. Not so fast, my friend. Gonna order this Shield tab as an early Christmas present to me. :D

How is your 2012 N7 holding up?
Mine is god awful. 5.0 is horrible on this thing. 4.4 was much smoother.

Mine runs poorly too. Large part of it is the crappy NAND and the 1GB of RAM. I'm using an app called fstrim which is suppose to help keep the performance up to par. It has helped some. I'm currently using CM12.1 which for the most part has been trouble-free.

Nexus 10
HP Stream 8

I'm really happy with both. The stream servers as a daily laptop replacement paired with a mobile keyboard and mouse and while my nexus works like a charm I only use it for nexus consumption these days since my N6 is a good crossover size.

Note 10.1 (first edition) here and its plenty good for my needs so far. If I do upgrade it would be to a windows platform tablet like the surface though. I actually don't have a chance to use it much because my wife apprehended it and its the main form of electronics she uses now.

Ever since I bought a $150 Chromebook I have no desire to use the tablet, the chromebook is faster and does more, I don't really miss touch.

iPad 2 64GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (currently my primary device)
Lenovo Miix 2 10"

You iPad 2 users replace the battery in yours yet? My mom and step dad both have one and are asking me to do it for them. Doesn't look too hard, just looking to see what battery you went with as there seems to be a bunch of shoddy replacements out there.

iPad Mini 2. I'd buy something else if Apple would quit dicking around and using old CPUs in the current tablets. Or if they at least raised the storage to a base of 32GB...

You iPad 2 users replace the battery in yours yet?

Not yet. Probably not worthwhile when the time comes considering the street/Craigslist value is ~$100-120 and Apple charges $90 for replacement or even ~$50 DIY. Probably better selling it as-is combined with what you would've spent on battery replacement to get something more recent.

Kindle fire x2
IPad mini
Dell venue 8/pro

Few others, I actually use the dell as a platform test for win10 stuff :D

Galaxy Tab S 10.5 - No longer use because update destroyed it
iPad Mini 4 64gb - my daily
Surface Pro 2 - Never use anymore probably should sell it

Nexus 7 (2013). Has been pretty good, but has slowed down significantly after the most recent update (6.0). It took 5x as long to install Hearthstone as my S6 Edge, and is a little laggy when playing. For web browsing and stuff it's fine. I wish Android would fix their choppy scrolling.

You iPad 2 users replace the battery in yours yet? My mom and step dad both have one and are asking me to do it for them. Doesn't look too hard, just looking to see what battery you went with as there seems to be a bunch of shoddy replacements out there.
I'm still on the original battery. Still lasts long.

Not yet. Probably not worthwhile when the time comes considering the street/Craigslist value is ~$100-120 and Apple charges $90 for replacement or even ~$50 DIY. Probably better selling it as-is combined with what you would've spent on battery replacement to get something more recent.

Yeah, would rather replace the battery for $50 than get a slightly newer iPad with another half-wore battery that will need replaced again in a year or less.

I'm still on the original battery. Still lasts long.

I think both of theirs last maybe an hour or two of screen time. They got them near launch I think, so at least 3 years ago. Li-ion batteries normally need replaced after 2-3 years in anything.

Samsung Tab 3.

Crappy resolution. Slow. But, free from work, and 1GB of data per month through Sprint. It's good enough to stream Pandora in my car without eating up MY data (not as big an issue now that I'm on Cricket rather than Ting, and have more than 5x the data available as I actually use), and I'll use it for pushing things to my ChromeCasts around the house, and watching NetFlix while I'm out on the back patio letting the dog play in the yard over lunch..

I sold my personal Nexus 7 2013 when I got my ChromeBook. Now with my Nexus 6P, I don't know what all I'd gain by getting a tablet when I have a perfectly good phablet, unless I were to get an iPad just for a larger screen and iOS. Actually, now that I think about it, my dad's retiring at the end of this year, and has 2 iPads. Since he won't need his work one, maybe I'll buy it off him.

*update*....and I broke it. It was sitting on a towel in the bathroom that I went to pick up, and it shattered the screen from a foot off the ground. Seriously, what a POS. My dad's keeping his iPad, so I guess I'll have to go to work and grab another Tab 3. If I'm driving through Iowa, AT&T is worthless, so having a Sprint based tablet that can stream Pandora for all but a 50 mile chunk of my journey is kind of nice.

Last edited:
I sold my personal Nexus 7 2013 when I got my ChromeBook. Now with my Nexus 6P, I don't know what all I'd gain by getting a tablet when I have a perfectly good phablet, unless I were to get an iPad just for a larger screen and iOS. Actually, now that I think about it, my dad's retiring at the end of this year, and has 2 iPads. Since he won't need his work one, maybe I'll buy it off him.
Only reason I keep my Nexus 7 (2013) around is for media. Never pick it up unless I want to read or watch a movie/TV show.

media/second screen tablet: Kindle Fire HDX 7 (2013)
laptop replacement: WinBook TW801 running W10 Home

I was going to replace the Kindle Fire HDX this year, but Amazon's current crop of Fire Tablets is very meh. (not even 1920x1080) The WinBook has been a nice surprise. The only disappointment is the LCD screen, but it's almost always docked to a monitor.

Asus TF810c (Windows 10)
Xperia Z2 (Android)

are the two I'm using. Both are great, but I give a slight edge to Asus since full Windows tablets are much nicer to use for web browsing than Android.
I use Z2 when I'm taking a bath, which is quite often, and it works great :)

Venue 11 Pro (5Y70, 4gig ram, running Win10 now), upgraded from it's stock 64Gig SSD to a 256Gig one.
Don't have an Android tablet anymore, hardly used it.

I have 2x Nexus 7 (first rev), and a Surface ARM that I got for $80 on Newegg. Then the never used LG G Pad 7 LTE that is a huge POS.
I bought the wife a Nexus 9 for Christmas to replace her 7. She uses it nonstop and it's showing its age for the games she plays on it.

I bought a couple of Tab S2 9.7" tablets earlier this month. I hadn't owned a tablet since I sold my HP Touchpad a couple of years ago. Samsung definitely makes some superb displays, and I think it was a pretty good deal at $350.

Note4 w/ 128GB SD Card.

One of the best phones I've ever owned. Brilliant screen, and snappy.

I like the S-Pen improvements of the Note5, but didn't want to surrender the SD card slot and removable battery. I hope they bring these back for a Note6....

I have the IPad 4 (Retina) with Logitech keyboard... but seldom use it .... my Broadwell MBP 13" is nearly as portable and worlds more capable.

Okay, finally got my Thinkpad Tablet upgraded to Cyanogenmod.

Has done WONDERS for the battery time (the fricking Lenovo middleware just ate the battery to the point where, even plugged in and charging, you'd be losing charge if you were using it heavily).

It's a bit underpowered. And has a bit of a tendency to lock up every now and then. But it's not a bad full-sized tablet.

Finally got win 10 on the 2 Dell Venus 8 pro tablets... latest build runs great.....

Picked up a Nexus 7 2013 from Groupon last week, enjoying it so far over my HP Touchpad.

I dont have one personally. But in my home my kids have a galaxy tab 4, and the tab 4s. My wife has the ipad air 2.

lol, I just bought a Kindle Fire for my son to use.
$50, was worth a bite.
He's 6 and he even said this tablet is slow. lol!

After playing on the Nexus 9, he can definitely see a difference.

He's got good taste :p

Fun stuff.

Last edited:
Gave my Nexus 7 2nd gen to my little nephew and picked up a Samsung Tab S2 8". Certainly didn't need it, but wanted a tablet to watch stuff and read stuff. Really don't like using my phone for media consumption. The S2's screen alone makes me glad I got it.

I am Android lover. So I am using Samsung Tab S. I am happy with its performance.

I have a 64GB BB Playbook. I use it for reading books, movies, music, and internet access.

Still MUCH better at multitasking than my wifes ipad air 2, haha.

Back