What solid gaming monitor for this FPS/RPG gaming rig?

CleanSlate

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm thinking the dinky 23" 1080p 2+ ms monitor I'm using is just not a high enough spec for this setup to really fully utilize the speed. My main gaming monitor just died and it was shit as well since it was 5+ years old.

What resolution should I be look for a sweet spot to utilize this system properly? 1440p?

Should I even bother with 144 hz? 100 hz? What other options are available? Of course, I imagine 1 ms refresh rate would be the best available but I'm not even sure about that.

I've been out of the hardware game for a while and I am still catching up to the newer tech out there. I would hate to buy a monitor that just couldn't max this system properly. Any good recent "state of the monitor tech" articles would be useful to help me catch up as well.

Specs:
1070 ti 8 gb
i7 6800k
32 gigs DDR4

You'd be better served to stick with 1080p with your setup.
Depending on the games you play and at what quality settings you use 100Hz/100fps maybe difficult to average.
However, if a GPU upgrade is in your future get a good 144Hz or more. As for the future, monitors stand the test of time for the most part.
There are many Free Sync monitors out there that are compatible with G-Sync so if budget is an issue look for them.
Like The ASUS VG279Q which is G-Sync compatible.
or if money doesn't matter and quality does the G-Sync ASUS TUF Gaming VG279QM
These are the best of the best.
Keep in mind there are AAA games coming out in the not too distant future that 2080Ti's are having a hard time averaging 60 fps.
The 1070 is formidable but a 1080p GPU when released, so good with older titles and some contemporary console ports at best.
Most competitive gamers are taking 2080Ti or 2080 Super's and reducing game quality to max out FPS with the highest rated 1080p monitors they can find and they struggle to stay above 144 FPS in many of the latest gen games.

I'd say 1080p 27" unless you plan for a GPU upgrade in the near future.

High refresh is really nice, and you can get 144Hz fairly affordable now.

Back