What software do you use to record your gameplay ?

oldbigisugly

Limp Gawd
:D please share

Q : Can both software (shadowplay & OBS) record gameplay and your voice at the same time ? oh and edit subtitles .

Last edited:
Another vote for nVidia Shadowplay. I was using Bandicam but it seems Shadowplay uses less resources.

Another vote for nVidia Shadowplay. I was using Bandicam but it seems Shadowplay uses less resources.

Some reviews put the resource use in the single digits which is great for FPS sensitive multiplayer games.

I can't even tell a difference when using Shadowplay, even 1080p @ 60fps.. it's pretty awesome.

Shadowplay is great because the GPU takes over the task of recording video, freeing CPU resources.

If I ever record stuff from game (and I don't do that a lot), I use Shadowplay, I cant be bothered with downloading yet another software, when I've thing that works right in the drivers.

Shadowplay was part of why I switched to nvidia with a 770. Works great, I'd love a few more format options, but thats probably my own fault for having zero editing software to load the stuff into before throwing it up on youtube.

Its nice to have a virtually resource free recording going that I can hit a hotkey to save the last few minutes of gameplay with. I've got quite a few path of exile clips I've meant to look through...

Shadowplay was part of why I switched to nvidia with a 770. Works great, I'd love a few more format options, but thats probably my own fault for having zero editing software to load the stuff into before throwing it up on youtube.

Its nice to have a virtually resource free recording going that I can hit a hotkey to save the last few minutes of gameplay with. I've got quite a few path of exile clips I've meant to look through...

If you have a modern-enough Intel CPU, you can use QuickSync-enabled capture/encode software to do the same thing. OBS and Action! can both do it, full-screen video capture for basically zero performance hit.

If you have a modern-enough Intel CPU, you can use QuickSync-enabled capture/encode software to do the same thing. OBS and Action! can both do it, full-screen video capture for basically zero performance hit.

Not the same. And not nearly as convenient as shadowplay

I use OBS. Its free, easy to use, and isn't a total resource hog. Overlays are easy and simple to setup. Plus, you can go straight to Twitch if you so desire. I don't need streaming for audiences, but sometimes it is fun to show your screen to a fellow who isn't in the room with you. I've done this with long-night Kerbal Space Program building sessions with guys over Skype.

It isn't the same, but you can have OBS do all the work with a video card. I don't know if they ever got AMD cards working properly, but they did with Nvidia.

I didn't mean it was exactly the same. What's more convenient; using OBS, or buying a new video card(for those people who don't have a compatible Nvidia card)? Shadowplay is a great option if you have it. If you don't, there are other options that work *very* similarly both in terms of quality and performance impact.

Afterburner if you have an Intel cpu with quick sync video. Hit a hotkey to start/stop recording. It also support nVidia NVENC and AMD VCE (AMD's gpu encoder).

Why would you want to record your gameplay in the first place?

Thank you for posting this video. It finally convinced me that 59 dollars is way to much for that.

Ha yeah. All I could think of was Call of Duty.....with mechs.

Anyways, on topic. I don't always record gameplay, but when I do I use Nvidia Shadowplay.

Shadowplay, if anything...seems to work great. I don't really record much gameplay, though.

Cool thing about Shadowplay is that it has the "Shadow record" feature where if something cool happens you can hit a button and it saves the last X minutes of gameplay as a recording (X determined by Settings...max is 20 minutes but takes up a lot of space).

Last edited:
Shadowplay requires the game to be rendered on that card? Just curious if you could capture from an AMD card with a 750ti or something.

Shadowplay requires the game to be rendered on that card?

Ofcourse, because the GPU is giving frames directly to the onboard h.264 encoder chip. That's why its so efficient without a performance impact. The whole process is essentially able to take place inside the card.

Last edited:
I use ShadowPlay and its effin amazing. No complaints and super high quality streaming over twitch.tv

I just wondered what reason a person would feel that others would want to watch their game play.

Been living under a rock for the past several years? Let's Plays are a pretty big thing. Tens of thousands of people want to watch other people play games. Not to mention things like recording for reviews, recording for friends, recording to showcase something cool, recording to show case a bug, and so on.

I have a dedicated Avermedia C985 that records and encodes on its own hardware. Zero performance hit for me.

I just wondered what reason a person would feel that others would want to watch their game play.

I watch them all the time to see if the game is worth the asking price. The titan fall Let's Plays plus the video on this thread defiantly convinced me that I'm not paying 59 dollars for it.

OBS for short, no editing involved recordings. (FREE)

DXtory for multi stream input fully editable and highly configurable recordings. (One time license cost)

Gameplay and commentary for comedic value is the most popular. Some people just like noise while they do things, and may appreciate what a certain streamer does.

Everyone has different tastes, some people don't like bacon, as impossible as that seems.

Why would you want to record your gameplay in the first place?

So you're telling me that you've literally never seen anything funny, exciting, interesting, or generally worthwhile that someone else may have also found to be one of these things?

What kind of question is that

So you're telling me that you've literally never seen anything funny, exciting, interesting, or generally worthwhile that someone else may have also found to be one of these things?

What kind of question is that

From professionals, yes. But there's a huge number of tards posting videos of no use what-so-ever on youtube, and I wonder if their ego is so great that they think people actually CARE what they are doing.

From professionals, yes. But there's a huge number of tards posting videos of no use what-so-ever on youtube, and I wonder if their ego is so great that they think people actually CARE what they are doing.

Some of them may be trying to become proffessionals, as it is an incredibly (potentially) lucrative endeavor for someone that has the time and dedication to get in to it. Though it does take a certain personality and showmanship to accomplish it on a large scale, just like anything in the entertainment industry.

It's less about ego, in most cases, and more about the desire to do what you love and the possiblity of making some form of income off of it.

I'll not damn anyone for pursing their passions.

Playclaw 3 worked very well for me. Better than FRAPS, at least.

But I stopped using it a while ago and it's up to 5 now or something, and I can't speak to the value of that. They're also shysters when it comes to your licence.

Shadowplay because I'm lazy. But a capture card is the best way to do it frankly. No performance hit.

Back