What software can remotely monitor the list of all processes from all users?

Nazo

2[H]4U
I keep getting this horribly annoying weird thing where I'll be in the middle of a game or something and my system just all of a sudden at seemingly random times darned well nearly locks up. To the point that the sound buffer is repeating over and over even. The system moves forward so slowly it takes about 5 minutes to respond to anything I tell it to do. Problem is, by the time it finally does respond, it's over. So, this means I can't use task manager or anything like that. What I want to do is remotely watch a list of ALL programs from ALL users (no hidden crap,) sorted by the CPU usage on another computer on my network. I almost could do that with "top" from the cygwin tools, but, the wonderfully intelligent people who put in all that work to port it to windows seemed to have neglected putting in any kind of option to view windows processes that I could track down. If they did put it in there, it's very well hidden because there's no mention of it anywhere and trying different keys didn't seem to help either. Of course, ps won't show CPU usage, but, it can show windows processes. Obviously I could try to manually track them one at a time or something by using ps first, then top or something, but, I'd rather be watching grass grow than trying to track that many changing processes one at a time manually. And even if I used a script or something it'd just take forever. I also tried using the video output of my video card to my TV, but the desktop just cuts off completely on it when I start a game (yes, I have it set to multimonitor, not clone or anything like that.) I even tried VNC with task manager, but, it just ended up trying to show the game instead.

So, I need something a little better. Like Process Explorer maybe, but, acting more like a server.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsList.html

"Introduction

Most UNIX operating systems ship with a command-line tool called "ps" (or something equivalent) that administrators use to view detailed information about process CPU and memory usage. Windows NT/2K comes with no such tool natively, but you can obtain similar tools with the Windows NT Workstation or Server Resource Kits. The tools in the Resource Kits, pstat and pmon, show you different types of information, and will only display data regarding the processes on the system on which you run the tools.

PsList is utility that shows you a combination of the information obtainable individually with pmon and pstat. You can view process CPU and memory information, or thread statistics. What makes PsList more powerful than the Resource Kit tools is that you can view process and thread statistics on a remote computer."

Yes, this looks like precicely what I needed. Thanks a bunch.

I finally figured out what the problem was to be honest though. It was my video card drivers. Why they suddenly started going insane out of the blue like that is beyond me, but, I removed them and just went ahead and installed older ones. I never had troubles until I updated to the latest official ones, and when I updated to them all sorts of weird stuff started happening.

This sure would have come in handy at figuring this out sooner though. It was definitely the service getting stuck in a loop or something and using 100% cpu power because top showed that 100% of my CPU was being used by "system."

I've had occasions where something strange takes over like that before. Now I'll catch them if they ever try it again. Mwahaha.. er.. I mean, thanks. d-:

EDIT: Tried it out. Nice program. This can come in pretty handy for other things too I think maybe.

The sysinternals.com website has a lot of neat utilities like this one--you might check out some of the others available. I can't think of any I use on a regular basis, but sometimes ones like this can come in handy when dealing with a specific problem.

Actually, I ironically have been using ProcessExplorer from them for a long time. I find it very useful for tracking down some of those hidden processes, and I used to use it to manually close handles to files that were opened and closed hours ago but remained locked because explorer is stupid. I just didn't know they had any other tools related to this sort of thing. (I have since found a better way to close those handles, but, that's another story.)

Think I need to do a little more exploring around there... I guess I have no excuse for not having found the PsTools sooner. ^_^

Back