What smartphone do you use and why?

Its simple enough but reliability is a huge issue for me. Since I got the Apple TV I havent had any drop outs and disconnects like I do with Chromecast. With Chromecast I can expect 1-2 dropouts for every 15 minutes of streaming. I commend google on chromecast only for the price but the apps, reliability and support for it sucks.

To be fair, I know little about the Chromecast and it's reliability. AppleTV works great but if you don't have another Apple devise its only mediocre. I much prefer the Roku for standalone.

iPhone 5s

Once jailbroken, I modified iOS 7 to my liking and am very pleased with the total package of hardware/software. My only wish for the future is that the iPhone 6 has a bigger screen.

I'm not trying to start something, but what was it that changed after 4.2, and what was it you didn't like? Don't get me wrong, I don't think Android has really advanced since 4.1. I think some of the "integration" aspects are troubling, though I don't think there's any malice involved. Just curious. My biggest fear of going Windows Phone is losing some of the integration with google services that I like with Android. But if there were an equal option (without having to change my email address entirely) I'd go for it.

I was actually tired of google mucking with things all the time. I felt like everytime I started to use a service they would either kill it, or change it for the worse. I guess I just lost my interest and my frustration levels grew. I also stopped wanting to tinker with the phone, which is THE reason to run android. I need it to function the same way everytime, not depending on its mood or what the quirks of the rom might be.

Plus Here Maps are awesome.

Galaxy s3

Because it was the most logical upgrade choice in July of 2012 when I was in need of replacing the original moto droid. It also still works at doing everything I need it to do without giving me headaches. I wont replace it until it dies, breaks, or something new and shiny comes out with really inovative and desirable features.

To be fair, I know little about the Chromecast and it's reliability. AppleTV works great but if you don't have another Apple devise its only mediocre. I much prefer the Roku for standalone.

Chromecast is fine if your WIFI and broadband are stable. Have zero issue streaming several movies consecutively. Price, size, pocketability for travel, very low power, casting from laptop for presentations, cross-platform, etc. of the Chromecast make the Apple TV obsolete and irrelevant.

iPhone 5s because Android, to be frank, sucks with language support. None of the dictionaries on Android (that are there exclusively) have been nearly as good as the ones exclusive to iOS. For an open platform, that has had such success overseas, it is a pretty glaring weakness for Android. Google has made strides, their Japanese IME is usable but still far behind the Japanese IME of iOS (I can't say for WP as I've honestly never even bothered to look at the platform). And, frankly, between buying Langenscheidt (for instance) on Android and iOS, I prefer having it on iOS.

That and I really don't like that for Android high end phones pretty much start at 4.5" and the best are typically 4.8" or more. I fully admit I have petite hands, fully stretched out my thumb and pinky are just over 8 inches and none of my fingers are over 2.75" long. Big phones are frankly uncomfortable to me to use as phones, especially one-handedly. Oh, well. At least my diminutive hands make working with PCs and such really easy.

GNex -> Nexus 5 -> Moto X all I do now is annoy everyone at work with "OK GOOGLE NOW!"

That and I really don't like that for Android high end phones pretty much start at 4.5" and the best are typically 4.8" or more. I fully admit I have petite hands, fully stretched out my thumb and pinky are just over 8 inches and none of my fingers are over 2.75" long. Big phones are frankly uncomfortable to me to use as phones, especially one-handedly. Oh, well. At least my diminutive hands make working with PCs and such really easy.
20 points for use of the word "diminutive" in a tech post. How many languages do you speak? :eek:

Serious question. If you're torn between too big for hand or too small for vision which would have priority, 4" for the hand or 5.5" for the vision? Personally, I think I would wear finger extensions if I had to.

IMO 4" is not too small for vision purposes, it's just...not exciting to look at. But the easier solution to an oversized phone is hold with one hand and use the other to operate (which is also true of multitouch gestures on even small phones anyway).

I notice that women typically use both hands regardless of phone size too.

Serious question. If you're torn between too big for hand or too small for vision which would have priority, 4" for the hand or 5.5" for the vision? Personally, I think I would wear finger extensions if I had to.

Kind of an odd argument. Nobody really has issues seeing on a 4" screen. The main reason you want a bigger screen is so you have more space to type on/use apps.

Still rocking a S3 rooted with a custom ROM on it, will probably be my last android phone if the Iphone 6 has a larger screen. After having android for my last 3 phones, it's time for a change

Lumia 900, because it's not a fucking iPhone.

Happily apple-free since November 2010, never going back, ever.

Ever.

Chromecast is fine if your WIFI and broadband are stable. Have zero issue streaming several movies consecutively. Price, size, pocketability for travel, very low power, casting from laptop for presentations, cross-platform, etc. of the Chromecast make the Apple TV obsolete and irrelevant.

Unless you can tell me what I do wrong because I have a stable 50/5 connection and an Asus AC68 and chromecast can still be very spotty. Plus overall quality for Apple TV is better again IMHO having both devices. My brother in law has both as well and we both agree that the AppleTV is better overall. Price and cross platform being the two advantages of chromecast, everything else goes to AppleTV for me.

20 points for use of the word "diminutive" in a tech post. How many languages do you speak? :eek:

I've studied Japanese, Russian, and Swedish at university. I'm also trying to pick up German and Norwegian outside of university at the moment. I have a bucket list of around a dozen languages I would like to at least become conversationally capable in.

I was actually tired of google mucking with things all the time. I felt like everytime I started to use a service they would either kill it, or change it for the worse. I guess I just lost my interest and my frustration levels grew. I also stopped wanting to tinker with the phone, which is THE reason to run android. I need it to function the same way everytime, not depending on its mood or what the quirks of the rom might be.

Plus Here Maps are awesome.
I see. Yeah, I agree with that. I think google talk --> Hangouts was the first frustration for me. And then everything Google+--only way google could actually get people to use their forgotten-stepchild social network is if they tied all of the other services into it. Was the immediate switch to WP difficult? In terms of the software/services?

I love my Nokia Lumia 920 for these features:
  • Everything I want to do on it is fast, no lag
  • Live Tiles
  • Glace, which allows you to see the time and notifications by holding your hand over the light sensor
  • One Note for all my various note needs (syncs to my desktop)
  • Office with SkyDrive so my budget sheet can be viewed anywhere
  • General ease of use
  • Great battery life (I get a day or two out of a single charge)

Ditto.

I've been looking at the 520 for my kids as they are using dumb phones currently. I switched to the AT&T Mobile Share Value plan so an off contract smartphone and a basic phone are billed at the same $15/mo. So the 520 is an interesting option for them.

Microsoft sells them at $59 off contract, but I'm waiting to see what comes out at MWC. Nokia is supposed to debut a budget Android phone "Nokia X" or Normandy so I'm waiting to see what that is like and what other budget options are announced.

4 of my kids are on basic texting type phones, so I am looking for a better option to get them off contract smartphones and avoiding the iPhone unless they pay for the iPhone themselves.

You really can't go wrong with the 520. They can be had off contract for cheaper on Amazon at times. I have a good friend that is rather clumsy, and has either lost, dropped or had a dog eat his 520. (No it wasn't homework.) He has replaced them with SG3, iPhone, some other LG Android phone, but he keeps going back to his Lumia 520.

Picked up a Nokia Lumia 520 from the Microsoft Store after work today to try one out and see if it could be a cheap replacementfor the kids basic phones. It actually is pretty nice and obviouslya step up from the Pantech Laser's they use now. $62.54 out the door.

How the [H] do you turn off the Haptic feedback? I Googled it and it appears that there is no setting to turn it off.

If you have the Lumia Black Update (I am not sure if it is here prior to that) Go under Settings > Touch: Windows Phone Keys vibrate ON/OFF.

Still loving my Note 2 for the most part. 4.3 sped it up a lot and it should be getting 4.4 at some point relatively soon. The only thing I would like to upgrade on it is the GPU, as it's starting to bog down a bit on some of the games I play. So I may trade up to a Note 3 or GS5 when it comes out.

Z30

Great battery life, great control over all my communication related accounts in the hub. Excellent keyboard and any android apps (generally games) that I want to play with.

iPhone 5s. I have always built my own computers and dealt with the little bugs that pop up as they happen. I want a phone that just works and feel that the closed Apple environment has done that. I still get access to great apps but I don't have to worry about whether an app will play nice with the OS or another app. The worst issue I have had is a general slowdown as the OS and apps become more computing power hungry. With a 2 year update cycle for my phone, this has been a non-issue. It is a bit more noticeable on the iPad front because I hold on to it longer.

Unless you can tell me what I do wrong because I have a stable 50/5 connection and an Asus AC68 and chromecast can still be very spotty.

That's your problem.

Skim through the reviews on Newegg, example from 3rd review:

Cons: Speeds at 2.4ghz are worse than my 2007 TrendNet TEW-633GR.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174

Video streaming quality is adaptive to stable connection and throughput. Buy decent WIFI gear, enterprise if you can afford, Ubiquiti or even an old WRT54G rev 3.1 or lower is better for 802.11G.

You have to be kidding me. The AC68 is one of the, if not the, highest rated router out right now. It's "n" performance isn't fantastic, but it shouldn't be causing issues. You are suggesting shelling out hundreds of dollars for enterprise gear, or buy some old shit router that is terrible(WRT was just complete shit, I had it and what still uses "g"?). Sounds like a lot of money just to get a $35 chrome cast working properly.

FYI my PS3 can stream fine with the built-in wireless and a Netgear WNDR3700, and the PS3 has the worst built-in wireless known to mankind.

Galaxy s3

Because it was the most logical upgrade choice in July of 2012 when I was in need of replacing the original moto droid. It also still works at doing everything I need it to do without giving me headaches. I wont replace it until it dies, breaks, or something new and shiny comes out with really inovative and desirable features.

The Galaxy S3 is a great phone, I had one before getting the S4. I feel the same way about my current Galaxy S4, I mostly likely won't replace it until it breaks or only if something really nice comes out. Both the S3 and S4 are excellent all around phones and the S4 suits my needs perfectly.

If you have the Lumia Black Update (I am not sure if it is here prior to that) Go under Settings > Touch: Windows Phone Keys vibrate ON/OFF.

Must not have the "Black" update yet as the closest I find in Settings is "display + touch" and the only option within "touch" is "touch sensitivity". Have to wait and see when I get home if there is an update avaialble as the WiFi here is slowwwww....

Lumia 920 here, got it day-one. :D

Been a fan of Windows Phone for a while. It scales well, performance is always top-notch, and visual-consistency is nearly perfect.

All 3 of my last smartphones have all been Windows Phone handsets (Samsung Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 920), and neither Google or Apple have given me any compelling reasons to switch.

Chromecast uses 802.11g due to being a 2W device. 802.11g is fine for most things except for large transfers. I have enterprise Cisco, Meru, etc. WIFI gear but also use WRT54G rev 3.1 since it does the job, low power, 100% stable, properly bridges to hotspot with OpenWRT firmware as a backup connection and you can pick one up for ~$20. Almost picked up the AC68 the last couple of sales but glad I read the reviews and didn't waste my money plus I'd rather trust a reviewer who installs WIFI for a living and has multi-vendor experience.

You have to be kidding me. The AC68 is one of the, if not the, highest rated router out right now. It's "n" performance isn't fantastic, but it shouldn't be causing issues. You are suggesting shelling out hundreds of dollars for enterprise gear, or buy some old shit router that is terrible(WRT was just complete shit, I had it and what still uses "g"?). Sounds like a lot of money just to get a $35 chrome cast working properly.

FYI my PS3 can stream fine with the built-in wireless and a Netgear WNDR3700, and the PS3 has the worst built-in wireless known to mankind.

You could be getting interference on one of your bands, is the Chromecast dual band?

Must not have the "Black" update yet as the closest I find in Settings is "display + touch" and the only option within "touch" is "touch sensitivity"
You need the latest device firmware/OS from Nokia/Microsoft, AND the latest update to "display + touch" from the app store.

Should see this when you're all patched up:

At1MTcz.jpg

It's not your router. I have an Asus RT-N66U (also one of the highest-rated routers of 2013) and also have severe issues with the Chromecast.

As soon as the Chromecast connects, all wifi clients become flaky. The router will periodically stop broadcasting (radio reset), causing all devices to drop and reconnect.
As soon as the Chromecast is turned off? Problem solved, wifi is stable and never drops.

And here's the kicker, I bought this Asus router to FIX this problem. The older Cisco router I used to use did the same thing as soon as the Chromecast was introduced to it. Shelling out for expensive access points isn't the answer here...

nexus 5, b/c contracts suck and stock android is the best if you want an android device that doesn't glitch out while still retaining the ability to easily and readily customize it if you want to deal with the issues that come with it. Its the best overall experience for android and you don't give up much for it. Been using Nexus phones since the Galaxy Nexus and haven't even been tempted by the others because of the ease and stability.

Sounds like N66U is a POS too. Chromecast, iPad, five Android devices and Thinkpad through a single WRT54G v3.1 without issue. Making mental note to scratch Asus WIFI off of my list.

Sounds like N66U is a POS too. Chromecast, iPad, five Android devices and Thinkpad through a single WRT54G v3.1 without issue. Making mental note to scratch Asus WIFI off of my list.
Like I said, the Asus N66U is one of the highest-rated and most capable routers out there. Hosting 4 SSIDs with over 100 wireless clients is not a problem for this router. It's built like a tank and is 100% solid as long as a Chromecast isn't connected to it.

Same goes for the Cisco router that the Asus router replaced. 100% solid... until a Chromecast was connected.

So far, the only router I've had work right with a Chromecast connected is a cheesy little D-Link DIR-825 (which is actually a VxWorks based device).

Maybe it's the Chromecast that's a POS? ;)

Trust me. No proper access point behaves that way to client traffic. Did you do any traffic analysis and look at the logs to see what's causing the Asus to flip? My guess is these POS Asus can't handle broadcast discovery well because that's what clients use to discover the Chromecast. Maybe try a 3rd party firmware at least.

You need the latest device firmware/OS from Nokia/Microsoft, AND the latest update to "display + touch" from the app store.

Should see this when you're all patched up:

At1MTcz.jpg

Must not have the Black update as my "Touch" settings show everything there except the "Double tap to wake up the phone" is a checkbox and not a Switch. No option to turn off the vibrate. Hopefully it shows up soon as the feedback drives me nuts.

Back