What should my PPD be?

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
I have a Q9550 OC to 3.28 running SMP that pretty much runs around the clock.
I have a GTX285 stock that pretty much runs around the clock at 90%
I have a 2.4G Tri Core that runs SMP around the clock on the media server
I sneakily installed a regular client on my room mates e-machine which has a 2.1G amd dual core.

Currently up to 8600ppd. I googled around and from what I found, the video card alone should be around 7800ppd... is my setup wrong?

until you hit 10 WU's finished for CPU's you will not get the bonus.

Also, if you are veiwing the PPD based on hardfolding.com , it is way off......Look at Extreme Overclockers, or download HFM.Net to get a more accurate PPD.

I have a Q9550 OC to 3.28 running SMP that pretty much runs around the clock.
Currently up to 8600ppd. I googled around and from what I found, the video card alone should be around 7800ppd... is my setup wrong?

The Q9550 by itself, should get between 5.5k to 8k+ ppd, depending on WU.

Imma say that the Q9550, agreeing with mplee should get about 5.5 - 8K
the 285 should get you about ROUGHLY 8-13K, depending on the WU
is that a AMD tri-core or the Intel tri-core?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
Depending on manufacturer, AMD should get you roughly 2.5-3.5K and intel roughly 3-4K........

Regular client will probably net you roughly 800-1200 ppd........

Hope everything goes good!

Here you are.

Your PPD should be higher. My stock GTX 285 is pretty consistent at 9K PPD. Judging by the stats above, yours is not running 24/7. Make sure you followed the guide for setting up the GPU client, especially for giving it slightly higher priority over CPU work.

Definitely install HFM.net and post your numbers (or a screenshot would be better). Then we will have more info to diagnose any issues.

Ok, I will install HFM.net when I get home. Yes, it's an AMD tri core. I didnt even know intel had Tri core's?

I know when I click on the icon by the clock in click view user stats it takes me to the stanford site that says I have 4 machines going, so they are all folding in my name, but I work 14-16 hours a day at least 6 days a week so I cant really monitor them very much. I have caught my video card sitting at results submitted instead of working, but I can restart the computer and it downloads a new unit and gets right back to work again, although this is rare, it is usually chugging away at about 67c and about 400mb ram remaining.

I know for a fact my smp client is going on the 9550 and amd tri core are going around the clock, but have no idea how many work units I have completed. I have this thing here to look at:

I know they are going around the clock because the command prompt box they have open is open and all cores are at 100% use. How do I find out if they are doing anything beyond those signs? Just the HFM?

What about the GPU, because when I open it (right click, display) it says for name and team (core is not) and after a few seconds changes to KarsusTG and team 33. Is that normal?

do you have a pss key ? if not that may explain low points

I was about to post screenies of my setups and realized that they contain my passkey. does that matter since it's linked to my email/name? The only thing you would get by stealing it would be earning me points..?

Don't post your passkey. That is a bad idea on a public forum.

Ya, I know, it's one of those questions that you know is stupid but cant stop yourself from asking... I whiteouted the passkey with good old ms paint... reuploaded.. lol

AMD Tri-Core Setup:
amdtrismpsetup.jpg

Q9550 Setup:
9550smpsetup.jpg

GTX285 Setup:
285setup1.jpg

285setup2.jpg

285setup3.jpg

I will have to get pics of my room mates puter setup later, but it's just a basic non smp setup.

I only have it setup for my 9550 so far. It says I should be get 4513.1 for just that. How do I setup hfm for the video card? Is it better to install a seperate HFM client on each computer or just network the c$ and let it be on one machine?

I am no expert at math, and I could have setup HFM wrong, but thats just the two cpu's, not my room mates cpu, and not the 285 and I am accounting for over 6600 of my ppd..

HFM.jpg

Remember that you won't get any bonus until you finish 10 SMP work units before the bonus deadline. Your AMD tri-core does not look terribly off. Unfortunately both the low frequency and the dated processor itself will hurt. My gaming rig with a PII [email protected] was getting 7k ppd or so. I am not sure what that other processor is that you are running.

I read in your OP that you sneakily installed the folding client on your roommate's computer. I highly recommend that you get his permission first before doing this. Not only is it a violation of Stanford's TOS, but he may not want to get involved. Remember that folding at home is one of the most demanding applications that you can ever run on a computer. You are talking 100% utilization across all available cores, which means that a system needs to be robust along with having good cooling. If his emachines dual core fried, it would be very very bad for you even if it died of natural causes.

The other thing is that his dual core may have trouble meeting the SMP bonus deadlines unless he leaves it on 24/7. If you start missing deadlines, it will hurt your completion percentage as Stanford requires you to maintain an 80% completion rate by the bonus deadline in order to get the bonus.

Ya, I told her I put it on there. Her computer isnt running the SMP client because I figuered it would break it, only my computers are doing the smp clients. Her computer never gets turned off though, so I figuered it could get put to some use.

The tricore, from what I gather, is completing ~1 a day and the 9550 is completing about 1.3 - 1.5 a day depending on my use of the computer. When the stats page updates I will know for sure, but I think I have completed ~190 units in total. I am not sure if my video card units count twards my clients units. Do they?

Ya, I told her I put it on there. Her computer isnt running the SMP client because I figuered it would break it, only my computers are doing the smp clients. Her computer never gets turned off though, so I figuered it could get put to some use.

The tricore, from what I gather, is completing ~1 a day and the 9550 is completing about 1.3 - 1.5 a day depending on my use of the computer. When the stats page updates I will know for sure, but I think I have completed ~190 units in total. I am not sure if my video card units count twards my clients units. Do they?

Just SMP unfortunately :(

Out of your folding clients, your Q9550 and especially your GTX285 will be your bread and butter. As for the SMP clients, it will depend on what work unit you get as some like the 6701/6702 and the 6040/6041's will kill your points and are very huge.

Either way, welcome to the team and stay tuned as there are going to be more giveaways in the future.

Awesome. HFM says that I am just over 14.9k without my roomy's puter. Much better than 8600 hehe.

I dropped my badge into that 460 givaway thread a few days ago. Maybe I can win it and give it to my room mate and have that start folding! lol :p

Awesome. HFM says that I am just over 14.9k without my roomy's puter. Much better than 8600 hehe.

I dropped my badge into that 460 givaway thread a few days ago. Maybe I can win it and give it to my room mate and have that start folding! lol :p

Considering that it is an eMachines, I would be concerned whether the PSU could handle it or not. Most budget computers come with barely adequate PSU's just for the hardware they come with. The other thing to do if you havn't done so already, is load a temperature monitoring program like Core Temp onto each of the rigs that you have folding in order to monitor cpu temperatures. For the GPU, i'm sure you already have a utility for that.

I should have clarified. I have another room mate that has a computer I gave him with an E8500 and he replaced the 8800ultra when it blew with a 5670 sot he 460 would be a nice upgrade for him.

I def have temp monitoring. 42c for my 9550, 51c for the tri core because of the stupid stock cooler (and it sits in my desk lol) video card bounces between high 50's and mid 60's depending on the temp outside (I dont have air conditioning.)

I should have clarified. I have another room mate that has a computer I gave him with an E8500 and he replaced the 8800ultra when it blew with a 5670 sot he 460 would be a nice upgrade for him.

I def have temp monitoring. 42c for my 9550, 51c for the tri core because of the stupid stock cooler (and it sits in my desk lol) video card bounces between high 50's and mid 60's depending on the temp outside (I dont have air conditioning.)

Those are very good temps actually. So long as your AMD tricore doesn't hit above 62 C, you are doing great. In fact, you have some room for overclocking if you were to choose to do so. I have no idea what the temperature threshholds for the C2Q's though.

I think the quads will run safely in the high 50's (58?) but I dont think I want my chip in that category, especially non stop 24x7.

I think the quads will run safely in the high 50's (58?) but I dont think I want my chip in that category, especially non stop 24x7.

So long as you don't exceed the max temps as rated by Intel/AMD, you are perfectly fine to have it running non stop 24/7. Some of the guys here have been running their Core i7's at over 80 degrees even though I believe the max temp Intel specifies is like 72 or 74 degrees on paper. My own Bloomfield in folding1 was running in the 80's 24/7 until I moved it to a new case. Before I stopped folding on my gaming rig(too large of a power draw with 2 video cards idling), it was running 24/7 at 58-60 degrees C.

Not to highjack the thread, but since I have a similar question with a similar CPU, I figured I'd ask it here:

I just switched my q9550 @ 3.2 over from BOINC to F@H for the push to 4B, and am new to the SMP game - FahSpy is telling me that my first WU, a 2633 with a time per step of 3:32 is only giving me 958 ppd. Is this due to the fact that I haven't hit my 10 WU yet, or is FahSpy not reporting right? (I tried HFM.net, and it's not starting up, and I'm too tired to troubleshoot it tonight)

I noticed that over here, SirMonkey said he was getting about 5100ppd with an Avg. time/frame of 3:24, so I'm a bit confused...

Is this due to the fact that I haven't hit my 10 WU yet, or is FahSpy not reporting right?

It could be both. You need to submit 10 SMP WUs with your passkey before you will get bonus credit. Also, only HFM.net will show the correct bonus credit, so try to get that working.

It could be both. You need to submit 10 SMP WUs with your passkey before you will get bonus credit. Also, only HFM.net will show the correct bonus credit, so try to get that working.
Sounds good - I'll watch it for a few days before asking any more questions... :D

Also, only HFM.net will show the correct bonus credit, so try to get that working.
FahSpy also calculates bonus points, but I've never used it so I can't comment on whether or not it's configured correctly.

Back up on my new machine. I7 930. Cant get the temps to stay down with this frio, or maybe it's the arctic silver vice my normal stuff, but I am running at 3.15G. I have my 470 up and folding. I have my 10 units turned in and am getting bonus points. Here is my HFM

HFMOne.jpg

Now, that being said, my badge says I am only getting a little under 7k a day ppd. How do I know that these points are actually going twards 33?

Another question, now that I have my machine running a 470. What can I do with this GTX285 that is sitting idle on my shelf. I dont think my server will support it. Any way I can put it to work?

HFM reports real time production, stat sites will report your daily ppd by taking an average over several days

Give it like 5 days or so and you'll be pretty spot on

Cant get the temps to stay down with this frio, or maybe it's the arctic silver vice my normal stuff, but I am running at 3.15G.
What are your actual temps? I find it hard to believe that they aren't good with that heatsink, especially with such a low overclock. Keep in mind that anything below 100C is technically safe, so if you're seeing load temperatures in the 70s or 80s, that is actually perfectly normal.
Now, that being said, my badge says I am only getting a little under 7k a day ppd. How do I know that these points are actually going twards 33?
Your badge also displays the team number you are folding under. If you look at it, you can see that it says your team is 33, so you're good to go. Another way to check is to go to the EOC stats page and search for your name, and that will give you a list of all the teams you have folded under. I personally prefer the EOC page for stats in general as well. You can find it here: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/
Another question, now that I have my machine running a 470. What can I do with this GTX285 that is sitting idle on my shelf. I dont think my server will support it. Any way I can put it to work?
Please provide the full system specs of your main rig and your server. From that I'll be able to figure out whether or not you can use that card anywhere.

You should monitor your account at EOC to see the actual points you're contributing. As Vaulter stated, the badge only shows a several-day average. If you click the link above, you can see your bonus has kicked in and your PPD is now above 20K.

Main rig:
CI7 [email protected]
Gigabyte x58-UD3R
12GB DDR3
MSI Nvidia 470 1280
Win 7 Ult 64

Server:
Phenom 8450 2.3Ghz Tri Core
Biostar TA785GE 128M
4GB DDR2
Windows Home server 2008x64

I always remote into the server so never bothered using a video card beyond initial setup. I just popped the 285 into the server and installed it and the folding@home gpu client told me to go pound sand, the driver wasn't compatible?

It could have been trying to run on the ATI integrated graphics. Try disabling the onboard GPU in the BIOS and then running F@H.

No dice. Disabled the built in video altogether and it didnt make any diff. The exact error:

At present your GPU is not supported or you need a current driver. You may wish to consider running our standard client, which you can download at folding.standford.edu.

Go into C:\Users\*your user name*\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu. If there is a client.cfg file, open it in Notepad. If not, create a .txt file, change it to client.cfg, and open it in Notepad. Replace its contents with the following:
Code:
[settings]
username=KarsusTG
team=33
passkey=
asknet=no
machineid=2
bigpackets=big
extra_parms=-gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_g80
local=399

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no
proxy_name=
proxy_passwd=

[core]
priority=96
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no
nocpulock=0
checkpoint=15

[power]
battery=no
Once you've done that, try starting the client again.

Are you remoting with rdp or vnc?

rdp will load its own display drivers and screw up gpu folding.

I always remote into the server so never bothered using a video card beyond initial setup. I just popped the 285 into the server and installed it and the folding@home gpu client told me to go pound sand, the driver wasn't compatible?

If you are using the Windows remote desktop to connect to the computer it will give you this error. I stay logged into my computer from work and have to try and remember to kill remote desktop before it starts a new WU. Using TeamViewer or other software like it will let you get around the problem.

Thank you Zero, that worked perfect. I was / do use Remote desktop (rdp). Thats another 9200ppd for 33 hehe. Not liking the 80c operating temp of the card in the desk though.. I guess thats not too terrible high for that card though.

Last edited:
Back