Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix-WIFI
Intel Core i5-6500 3.50GHz (6th Gen)
Corsair Hydro Series H60
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 2133MHz
Azza Photios 250 Gaming Case

I have gone ahead and purchased this SSD and PSU:

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD
EVGA Supernova 650 G3 650W (Modular)

And now I am looking at purchasing in the next month a few upgrades. What should I go for next? I was thinking on changing the motherboard and then CPU. Something like:

ASUS Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen) ATX DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 Gigabit LAN
Intel Core i7-9700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 4.9 GHz Turbo Unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming and Video Streaming (Bi-weekly DJ show with 3+ cameras)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Don't want to spend more than $1000 on the upgrades.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Costa Rica

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
I need to update CPU, RAM and MB for now. Maybe add an M.2 later.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
For now just my GTX 1070, everything else was just bought.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1080, 24 inches

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next month.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Crossfire or SLI support? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
Not looking for anything specific. The less RGB the better.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 64bit.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since you have a GTX 1070, if you do go ahead and upgrade the CPU and motherboard, I would also add more RAM. Go for at least 32 GB of RAM for an 8-core CPU. And I would also upgrade the CPU cooler: The H60 might not be able to keep up with that 9700K at anything above the stock, non-Turbo clock speed.

First thing I would get is faster memory. There is a decent fps difference in most games between 2133mhz memory and 3000 or 3200mhz. After 3200mhz the difference is fairly small the price difference is high. Although some 3600mhz memory has been on sale for only $10-15 more than 3200. I would stick with 16gb, it is still plenty and the money you save is better spent somewhere else.

Second thing I would get is CPU/MB. If it were me I would get Ryzen 2600 and a midrange B450 board for under $150 along with a decent CPU cooler.

You didn't say anything about your monitor. If it is 1080p I would spend the rest on a nice 1440p monitor. If you already have 1440p then I would sell the 1070 and look for a used gpu upgrade.

This is all assuming your main use is for gaming.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For video rendering, streaming and recording would an i7 9700k or i9 do a big difference?

Back