What Should I Do WIth My Old Stuff After Upgrading?

Killdozer

[H]ard|Gawd
One of these days when GPU prices get back to Earth and I'm done with my PS3 backlog I'm going to upgrade my GPU but I don't know what to do with my old hardware.

Right now I have 2 x Galaxy GTX670 4GB cards with Kraken G10's and Corsair H55's. My next GPU will probably be something with a factory 'hydro' kit or I'm going big with waterblock and custom loop.

Is there much of a market for some old ass GTX 670's that don't have their stock coolers?
Is there much point in trying to sell those Kraken G10''s?
For the Corsair H55's one of them looks like it got a tiny leak and grew a gross little wart of something so that will be trashed while the other looks fine.

If I want to toss can I just E-Waste it at Best Buy?

I say put it up on sale/trade thread in [H] to see if anyone wants it, feel like there is always someone looking for a cheap upgrade.

I see gtx670 2gb cards selling for $50-60 and 4gb models selling for 70-80 on ebay.

Yeah issue with no stock cooler for them.. maybe sell them as is and let the next buyer figure it out.. if it's possible yo install a new aio or find a old water block for them.

The day of gpu prices coming back to earth are over. They realize that they could raise prices and people would pay them. Th 20 series sold out. There are way more people that are willing to pay the high price!

I bought my Kraken G10 used for $20. Not a lot for you after shipping, but it will save whoever buys it a little money to which is nice for them. Same for the H55.

Bottom line is you aren't going to make much money, but you will help another member save a little if you sell it on here.

Do you have any idea how many children and teens would kill for something like a 670? Contrary to what this forum might make things seem like, in the rest of the world a GTX 1080 is not a "mid tier" card at all. Most of the people that I play games with a few notches below a 670, and I know quite a few people that can't even run the game because they don't have HW good enough to support it.

Maybe kill is a bit strong but the point is there are people out there on tight budgets, young kids, single moms with young kids, college kids etc who might be trying to scrap a PC together on a *really* tight budget.

Sell them to the Distributed Computing community. Those cards are still good for some DC BOINC projects.

You could always try selling them.

There may be people who have coolers or whatever for those cards. I'm one of them.

I bought a long while back a junk lot on eBay of 4 760Ti (OEM 670s). 2 didn't work at all with one looking like it went through an ocean and the other catching on fire on the VRMs, the other two I was able to fix.

I usually use them to upgrade a PC for a family member, or build another PC to play around with at home.

List on the EE or use them to upgrade family PCs. You could even give them away here if you feel so inclined. I'll be in the market for an H55 soon myself.

If I didn't sell most of my computer stuff when I upgrade to my brothers, they'd still be playing on computers from the early 2000's.
(Of course they pay only like 10-20% of what I could get for it from selling it elsewhere)
I'm too nice sometimes.....(y)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Family members and friends are fortunate enough to not need my hand-me-downs at this point. Currently they're all running better GPUs than I am.
I did make an impulse buy from the FS/T side to get me up and running with something decent while I figure out if I want to jump in to a 1080ti.
So once that arrives and is setup I'll have a bunch of stuff I can offload, and yeah, it seems like there's a market for almost anything over there so it's worth a shot.

The [H] DC crew gives away hardware all the time to other DC members. We classify it as [H] hardware that can't be sold. Must be returned to the original owner or given to another [H] DC member.

Mostly an honor system, hub so far every one has been compliant with it for many years now.

Back