What should I do with my 8700K? (OC or Turbo?)

Blackstone

2[H]4U
Long story made short---two days ago my uber expensive X99 build with 5930k just crapped out when I set bios to optimized defaults (go figure). Probably the mobo fried. I think it was on the fritz for a while. I tried everything to fix it but no dice.

So I did the easiest thing--NEW BUILD.

Coffee Lake 8700K and Asus Rog Maximus Hero Board. Was able to salvage power supply, ram and case from old system. Runs like a champ--better than the X99 Haswell-E ever did. Just rock solid.

I set MB to XMP and booted. That is all I did.

Should I even try pushing this beastly chip? I have a brand new Noctua DH15 on it and temps are in the 50s in Battlefield 1. Also, the Silverstone FT01 case is a wicked CPU air cooling case. 180mm fan dumping cold air on the heatsink and mobo from above, 120mm noctua fan spitting it out the back.

My understanding is with Turbo Boost I should be getting above 4Ghz on all cores during gaming. Which it seems to me should be FINE. I am not a benchmarker, just a gamer.

GTX1080ti graphics.

Should I just leave it alone and let XMP do the work or should I try and get more out of this chip. I figure with the Noctua I am safe to experiment, a bit..What do you think?

What res and refresh rate are you gaming at? You should be able to get at least 4.9 GHz out of her without delid. If you're gaming at >60Hz it's worth it to OC as much as you can. At 4k 60Hz or less, it wouldn't matter so much because you'll surely be GPU bound.

Meh its living room gaming I have a 60 inch plasma. Its as good as anything. I'd need like a 65 inch OLED or something to get better image quality. A few years down the road. The system also acts as a media server.

You honestly don't need to worry about overclocking, then. Your setup is already way overkill for 1080p60Hz. You won't see a lick of difference running both your CPU and GPU at stock vs OC.

Well I can tell you I see improvements in all games over the 5930K! Easily subjectively perceptible. And don't forget games like Ashes of the Singularity. Just because I am at 1080 does not mean there are no CPU intensive activities.

Also the system pulls dual duty. It is a media server (plex) audio server (roon) and gaming machine. Sometimes I convert large batches of files from flac to MP3 for the car.

I think the issue is some software just is not that good. Like for example I get some hitching in Battlefront II and Battlefield 1. It goes from frames in the hundreds and then drops, but I have a 11GB video card, 16 gigs of ram and a CPU that is off the chain. With this system there should not be any hitching at all.

I never would have got to this point except I had a i7 920 board crap out, then a 5930 x99 board crap out, so here I am.

You honestly don't need to worry about overclocking, then. Your setup is already way overkill for 1080p60Hz. You won't see a lick of difference running both your CPU and GPU at stock vs OC.

No self respected [H] member will run ANY system @ stock speeds. I run my setup @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 for a 43" screen along with my vid card @ 2050/4600 and 1440p. I know I don't need to, but I can. This is [H] gawddamit!

OP overclock the snot out of that setup! To hell with the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!

Well I can tell you I see improvements in all games over the 5930K! Easily subjectively perceptible. And don't forget games like Ashes of the Singularity. Just because I am at 1080 does not mean there are no CPU intensive activities.

Also the system pulls dual duty. It is a media server (plex) audio server (roon) and gaming machine. Sometimes I convert large batches of files from flac to MP3 for the car.

I think the issue is some software just is not that good. Like for example I get some hitching in Battlefront II and Battlefield 1. It goes from frames in the hundreds and then drops, but I have a 11GB video card, 16 gigs of ram and a CPU that is off the chain. With this system there should not be any hitching at all.

I never would have got to this point except I had a i7 920 board crap out, then a 5930 x99 board crap out, so here I am.
If you see an improvement over the 5930k at 60fps, then something was wrong with your 5930k.

No self respected [H] member will run ANY system @ stock speeds. I run my setup @ 5.0Ghz 24/7 for a 43" screen along with my vid card @ 2050/4600 and 1440p. I know I don't need to, but I can. This is [H] gawddamit!

OP overclock the snot out of that setup! To hell with the torpedoes! Full steam ahead!

Dats the spirit matey!

If you see an improvement over the 5930k at 60fps, then something was wrong with your 5930k.
He may not have OC'd the 5930 that probably gave him a boost, and a newer arch may have helped a tad.
3.7-4.7 2ch DDR controller 12MB L3
3.5-3.7 4ch 15MB L3

You should help [H] beat China and run WCG on it! That's my vote.

Wrong Skillz. :p

It's all good though man. We're comfortably out pacing them by around 1M points per day right now. So downtime by members here and there shouldn't effect our position anytime soon. Unless a lot of us go down at once.

Back