what should i do next?

badcookies

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi [H]

I need some opinions/advice.
first time i've ever had an issue with someone on [h] fs/ft ... over the course of the last 2 weeks:
>saw thread of someone selling "Steamdeck - 512GB NVME + 512GB SD Card - $590"
>messaged and asked about it and asked about buying without the sd card.
>he adds dock to bundle and raises the price
>we work out a deal without dock and i pay a bit less via f&f because his feedback has been great so i pay him and he ships it
>i get it and check everything out and find that my steam account that shows hardware tied to account is showing 64GB emmc
>in storage settings though, it says i have 406.7GB total
>i ask him about that along with some pry marks around the casing
>he says he took out the original and put in a 500GB and that the marks were small so he "didnt really notice them"
>i express how thats not okay
>he says "I just checked and it is a 512gb drive that I bought for it. So it is a 500gb like I said."

I'm trying to be understanding and like i told him, if all that was communicated prior to all this, i would have probably been okay with it but he lied and now refuses to admit anything was wrong. i fully understand no drive with an OS has the full size but a liteon 500 is not equal to the oem phison 512. steam thinks its a 64 emmc deck. I'm not expecting to return it as i am fully aware before even contacting that this was not a new unit. maybe a partial refund as hes basically made money off me setting a cheaper deck thats been opened with drive swapped out to call it the premium one.
i can send anyone the entire conversation plus the listing thread in case he changes it. I dont want to immediately jump to bashing him or tarnishing his feedback record because if i fucked up i'd want to be able to make things right. but i doubt that will happen. so where do i go from here?
pics for reference

Attachments

• 802626_20230201_170640.jpg
    802626_20230201_170640.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 802627_20230201_170509.jpg
    802627_20230201_170509.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 802759_20230201_160516.jpg
    802759_20230201_160516.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 0
I believe it is completely fundamental when making your ad, to note any modifications you've made to the item. Some modifications will raise the price, like a carefully sanded shiny CPU, and others could lower the price, such as random wear and tear, or a modification that replaces one hardware part for another. These should all be reported on in the ad, and any details beyond OEM specification should be known to both parties before the deal is finalized.

The price of a regular old office PC, but with a GTX 1060 installed becomes an unknowable price, but the new part must be acknowledged and fairly bartered over, such that the buyer and seller both know exactly what is being transacted.

In this case, you must do the simple math and find out if the replacement part is truly lower value than the OEM one was. If the currently installed drive is actually both faster and bigger than the OEM drive, then that would be a boon and all is surely well.

If it is indeed lower value, then that makes what the seller did akin to deceit, and if the seller is a good person, then the seller must acknowledge their mistake and make financial amends to you, in order to make the trade fair. Then all will be well, right?

There are differences between the 64-256-512 gb versions, other than the storage size. Most notably the screen on the 512gb is etched glass, compared to the 64gb which is not.
Advertising a 64gb model as 512gb should not compute after simply swapping nvme drives for these device models.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
There are differences between the 64-256-512 gb versions, other than the storage size. Most notably the screen on the 512gb is etched glass, compared to the 64fb which is not.
Advertising a 64gb model as 512gb should not compute after simply swapping nvme drives for these device models.

If this is true, and I am sure it is, because I've read the specs, then it's clear that the seller either made a mistake that any reasonable person would fix, or the seller is maliciously deceiving the buyer.

The buyer can either try to settle things civilly and renegotiate the price, or the buyer must issue a chargeback for fraud and attempt to return the fraudulent item.

If this is true, and I am sure it is, because I've read the specs, then it's clear that the seller either made a mistake that any reasonable person would fix, or the seller is maliciously deceiving the buyer.

The buyer can either try to settle things civilly and renegotiate the price, or the buyer must issue a chargeback for fraud and attempt to return the fraudulent item.
If he paid via friends and family that is not going to happen.

I’d expect the seller to offer a full refund and re list it once they receive it back and inspect it.

That’s the simplest answer and would make everyone whole again imo. Chock it up to a honest oversight or believe it was intentional, either way I’d leave heat with the details of the transaction.

If the seller does not work with you OP, please let us know who it is so we can avoid similar situations. I’ve actually made a list of sellers I will not buy from, and have (knock on wood) not had a bad experience as a buyer or seller here.

Last edited:
i am going to reach out one more time to see if hes willing to work with me. we'll see where this goes.

looking at the model number of the drive (ssstc xa1-31512) it looks like a xbox series s drive pull as its not a drive commercially available (not available on bunch of retailers or even ebay)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...nts-spotted-do-both-have-custom-asics.486178/

that said, how would i estimate value of used 64gb deck + drive pull from an xbox?

i am going to reach out one more time to see if hes willing to work with me. we'll see where this goes.

looking at the model number of the drive (ssstc xa1-31512) it looks like a xbox series s drive pull as its not a drive commercially available (not available on bunch of retailers or even ebay)
https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...nts-spotted-do-both-have-custom-asics.486178/

that said, how would i estimate value of used 64gb deck + drive pull from an xbox?

For a used one with a used xbox drive? $400 shipped max.

64gb deck = $399.99 - $50 for being used
xbox drive: $50 (you can get western digital 2230 for $50-60 on the bay)
dealing with the BS: -$50

You got ripped off, send it back and get a full refund or somehow get your bank/credit card that you used PayPal F&F to do a chargeback. That's why you don't pay with PayPal F&F unless the seller is 100% trusted and has plenty of feedback.

You should've paid a little extra for G&S so you don't have to deal with this BS. Hopefully the seller is reasonable but the way he tricked you and also made a profit from selling his used hardware.. Good luck.

Last edited:
thing is his feedback has been good (although, 23,0,0 on heat and its mostly with him as buyer and only 1 seller feedback) and he's been around since 2001 with over 11k posts and a decent fs/ft thread. i thought this grown ass adult with a IT shop would be good peoples **fuckmerightmeme.jpg**

thing is his feedback has been good (although, 23,0,0 on heat and its mostly with him as buyer and only 1 seller feedback) and he's been around since 2001 with over 11k posts and a decent fs/ft thread. i thought this grown ass adult with a IT shop would be good peoples **fuckmerightmeme.jpg**
Well, what is his final decision? And how much did you pay for it?

Tell him to refund you the difference and show him this thread.

i sent him a message 20 min ago and he hasnt responded. he is currently online. he included samsung 512 microsd card that i didnt need but he wanted it bundled because those are hard to sell used by themselves. we settled on 540.

sent this:
look, of all the interactions we've had, everything has been pleasant and i dont think i've done anything wrong to merit the deceit. even if it was a comparable 512 drive to the oem drive, there are hardware more differences between the 64gb deck and the 512 version you advertised aside from simply storage space. i hesitate to simply put you on blast and mar your feedback record because i would want that opportunity if i made a mistake and because i think as grown adults, we'd be able to settle this amicably. i knew going in it was used and that i would have no third party buyer protection since i offered FF payment. But a 512 GB high-speed NVMe SSD (PCIe Gen 3 x4 or PCIe Gen 3 x2*) Steamdeck with Premium anti-glare etched glass was advertised and was not what I received. I will gladly send it back for a full refund. I would even be okay with a partial refund considering its true value (used/enclosure opened 64gb with seemingly an xbox series s drive pull + sd card). i'm asking you, how should we proceed?

Steam Deck 64gb: $400
Used WD 2230 512gb SSD: $55
New 512gb Samsung EVO Select Microsd: $53
Total: $508
Used price $50-$75 reduction for bundling stuff
Your total: Nothing over $450

He owes you at least $90 because you paid him $540 for something you can get for $508 right now, you also paid him PayPal F&F so he ate zero fees.

1675449702667.png

i'm glad with this response but would i be outta line to ask for half now half later? i'd be losing quite a bit if he decides to just not refund me. trust is hard to regain.

i said:
i will wipe and send it back. i tore off the shipping label and shredded it so I need an address. id like to think i am honest and as forgiving as any buyer can be. given the circumstances, could you send me half the refund now and half when you get it back? im sure youd want to inspect. ive done nothing but load my account on there and just now factory reset it. i will get it sent out today.
response:
1675453371572.png

i'm omw to shipping it back now. this could have gone way worse. thank you guys ..... soo uhh... anyone selling a legit steamdeck?

View attachment 546385

i'm glad with this response but would i be outta line to ask for half now half later? i'd be losing quite a bit if he decides to just not refund me. trust is hard to regain.
I certainly wouldn't expect him to do half and half, but that isnt a bad idea.

If he has heat, has been an established member, and is willing to reverse this transaction, I'd wager he is legit.

Unless this is some compromised account with a excellent english speaking scammer, you will be fine.

Just my .02, but I'd send it back and allow him to inspect it and refund. He has risk also, he doesnt know if you have modified or damaged the machine. Now I am sure you are both stand up members, so that wont be an issue either.

I am glad he responded.

Back