What should I do if I lose control over my virtual machine during the installation of the Operating

What should I do if I lose control over my virtual machine during the installation of the Operating System and why does this happen because I've tried rebooting several time and can only make some progress before it happens again? I looked for an answer on google, but found nothing even close to an answer, so I hoping you can help answer this. I'm using CentOS 7 as the desired Operating System to install if that helps. I also using a CIsco Small Business VPN Router with a 4 port switch and with firewall features as well as content filtering too if that helps as well.

Im guessing the CentOS doesnt have usb drivers in it for the mouse from the host to show up?

Im guessing the CentOS doesnt have usb drivers in it for the mouse from the host to show up?

I don't know why though because it works for a little bit, but as soon as escape the virtual machine and do something else before returning the graphical buttons won't work anymore. I'm wondering if it has anything to with CentOS 7 possibly not having UEFI or EFI support, although that shouldn't matter that much because the host OS does. It's during installation too, so it's not like it has established internet connection yet either. I had a similar problem with Debian after getting it completely installed. I no idea why this is happening to my virtual machines. Even Ubuntu had problems installing, but that was because it couldn't get past UEFI and I had it installed successfully before using it with no problem and then my UbuntuVM disappeared.

Something causes the connection to either the VGA or the keyboard/mouse to go away once something like screensaver or power saving happens.
Try sending a ctrl+alt+F1...F7 to the visor to see if you can get a console going.
If you know its IP, try connecting via VNC or SSH.

Something causes the connection to either the VGA or the keyboard/mouse to go away once something like screensaver or power saving happens.
Try sending a ctrl+alt+F1...F7 to the visor to see if you can get a console going.
If you know its IP, try connecting via VNC or SSH.

Ctrl+Alt+F1 through F7 are you virtual consoles provided by the getty/agetty and will take you to a terminal window within your host OS not the VM as well as require you to login again. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 with return you to Xserver, which is where I want to be thank you for not telling that although I kinda of already knew and confirmed it. You guys are not helping.

Ctrl+Alt+F1 through F7 are you virtual consoles provided by the getty/agetty and will take you to a terminal window within your host OS not the VM as well as require you to login again. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F7 with return you to Xserver, which is where I want to be thank you for not telling that although I kinda of already knew and confirmed it. You guys are not helping.

I mentioned sending commands to the visor.
I assumed you have a window open in your regular GUI in which you can see your guest VMs (but can't interact).
Now, if so, there should be a option in the guest VM window like "send alt" "send tab" etc. I know they are there in virt-manager in my KVM box and tightVNC also has them, so that's why I suggested it.
I am trying to help you.

Nobody knows what you know or don't know. Personally I would start by attempting to remove the content filter switch from the equation, presuming you are connecting from one PC to a network PC to do the installs.

Nobody knows what you know or don't know. Personally I would start by attempting to remove the content filter switch from the equation, presuming you are connecting from one PC to a network PC to do the installs.

I'm not connecting from one PC to a network PC. The VM is local to the host.

I did experience this on an old install of Debian and VMware player. Debian was the VM, also. So i had a debian installer happening in a small window within my host's gnome desktop.
Basically it can be a power saving issue (on either the host or VM) that causes your mouse focus to leave the VM.
I remember having to click the VM's window, and then tap a button on the keyboard, such as "right arrow". And then hover the mouse around the VM until it "stuck".
This happened when I was missing VMware's drivers (VMware tools) on the guest VM. Once I got them installed, it worked better.
Sorry if this is so vague, but for the time of the installation itself you should be able to get away with a trick like having your guest VM open full-screen, disabling multiple monitors and maybe trying a different host screen resolution.

I did experience this on an old install of Debian and VMware player. Debian was the VM, also. So i had a debian installer happening in a small window within my host's gnome desktop.
Basically it can be a power saving issue (on either the host or VM) that causes your mouse focus to leave the VM.
I remember having to click the VM's window, and then tap a button on the keyboard, such as "right arrow". And then hover the mouse around the VM until it "stuck".
This happened when I was missing VMware's drivers (VMware tools) on the guest VM. Once I got them installed, it worked better.
Sorry if this is so vague, but for the time of the installation itself you should be able to get away with a trick like having your guest VM open full-screen, disabling multiple monitors and maybe trying a different host screen resolution.

I'm not using multiple monitors though and sorry for being so vague too as I'm just using a laptop. I'm having the same problem witn Oracle Linux Update 7 Release 2, but I got it installed by using the just the keyboard. However, getting Oracle Linux to accept my password is another thing because All Redhat 7 like OSes are to sensitive to keyboard button pressings for some reason and cause me to have a lot more typo's.

Last edited:

Nevermind it's just the mouse interface that goes out, so once I switch to just keyboard everything is fine even though using just the keyboard can be a pain.

Back